Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-07-2018, 11:55 AM   #451
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
And speaking of Firefox, I've been doing some experimentation.

I do a fair bit with Firefox profiles, and have an assortment, customized for different purposes.

I create a profile in Profile Manager. To do that, I launch Firefox as "firefox -p", and have a shortcut to do that. Profile Manager lets me create a profile with a specified name, and lets me choose where it is created. To make life easier, I keep them under \Mozilla\Profiles\Firefox, and the name I choose for the profile becomes the name of the directory created there. I can run Firefox using the profile as "firefox -p <profilename>"

I'm currently in a new profile called VanillaTest. It's a stock install of Firefox with no Addons. It currently takes about 440MB of memory. (My production profile takes about three times that, and part of the investigation here is which addons drive up RAM usage.)

But I want my bookmarks, site passwords and the like in any new profile. The files that contain what I want are formhistory.sqlite, handlers.json, key3.db, key4.db, logins.json, permissions.sqlite, persdict.dat, and places.sqlite.

I copied those from my production profile and put them in a 7z archive. When a new profile is created, I extract them into the new profile directory.

Run Firefox using that profile and the information is available

To make things more interesting, you can run more than one instance of Firefox at a time. To do so, you pass the -no-remote parameter. Each instance must use a different profile, as the first one to use a profile locks it. Another shortcut runs Firefox as "firefox -no-remote -p". That pops up a dialog box with a list of available profiles and I pick the one I want.

Another bit of hacking also plays with multiple profiles but I want the same bookmarks in all. Bookmarks/History are stored in the places.sqlite file.

NTFS5 supports *nix style symlinks, and I have a freware utility called Link Shell Extension taht can create them. LSE adds "Pick Link Source" and "Drop Link" to the Windows Explorer right click menu.

I have a master copy of the places.sqlite file. When I create a new profile, I may delete the basic places.sqlite file Firefox creates and replace it with a symlink to my master copy.

While you can't use the same profile in multiple instances of Firefox, you can use the same places.sqlite file via symlinks. The SQLite database manager that uses the various *.sqlite files uses atomic commits, and only one profile will be updating the places.sqlite file at any moment, so they won't step on each other's electronic toes and corruption won't occur.

It's all working fine so far, and is fun for suitable values of the term.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 10-07-2018 at 01:42 PM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:37 PM   #452
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
If I recall correctly, there were serious security flaws with the XUL extension. The flaws were due to the design of the extension framework, not necessarily the extensions themselves. To fix those designs a complete redesign of the framework was required, as the issues were in the base of the framework.

Not to sure though, I abandoned Firefox many years ago.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2018, 01:40 PM   #453
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
If I recall correctly, there were serious security flaws with the XUL extension. The flaws were due to the design of the extension framework, not necessarily the extensions themselves. To fix those designs a complete redesign of the framework was required, as the issues were in the base of the framework.
XUL is an XML language intended for creating user interfaces. The Gecko rendering engine underlying all Mozilla products understood and rendered HTML and CSS, and the IonMonkey JavaScript engine embedded in Gecko ran JavaScript. Gecko also understood and rendered XUL, and the "look and feel" of Mozilla products was provided by XUL, CSS and widget sets, with JavaScript performing the actions when you clicked an icon or select4ed a menu choice. If you were fluent in XUL, you could totally revamp what the products looked like, and people did.

The browser was simply an instance of something Gecko rendered, and it didn't have to be a browser. There was work back when to break out Gecko as a stand alone runtime that could be installed once and used by any Mozilla product, instead of embedding a copy in each program. It would have been possible to craft a complete, cross platform UI for the host machine using Gecko.

Mozilla worries about XUL running at a higher privilege level than JavaScript as an attack vector. I'd take that more seriously if I'd ever heard of an actual verified attack using it. (I keep up on that stuff and likely would have.)

Since XUL couldn't make the leap to mobile the point is moot, and one goal these days is pure JavaScript extensions written using the WebEx API that will install and work in mobile devices as well as the desktop.

Quote:
Not to sure though, I abandoned Firefox many years ago.
In favor of what?

I began using Mozilla code when Mozilla was still the internal name for Netscape Communications internal effort to create the next generation follow on for Netscape Communicator 4. The result was more secure than then dominant Internet Explorer, but that wasn't hard to accomplish. Netscape 7/Mozilla Suite/Firefox simply didn't support IE Active-X controls. (There was an extension that would add that support, but it was a "Not recommended and you better know what you're doing!" exercise. I could have but didn't.)

I used Mozilla products because they were more powerful than anything else, and the extension capability was the reason. I still use them because of that.

I have current versions of other things, like MS Edge, Google Chrome, Opera and Falken to keep track of development, but FF is still my browser of choice.
______
Dennis
Old 11-09-2018, 02:20 AM   #454
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Microsoft Fart-Arsing around again

I just got this popup on the desktop

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	167566

I fixed it using Andre Da Costa's remedy in here ==>> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-ceb43608e307

Anyway, if it should happen to you try Andre's remedy - there are various other 'fixes' out there that involve VBS scripts and the like -- they look dodgy to me.

But why did it get deactivated?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-09-2018 at 02:22 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:07 AM   #455
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

Attachment 167566

I fixed it using Andre Da Costa's remedy in here ==>> https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-ceb43608e307

Anyway, if it should happen to you try Andre's remedy - there are various other 'fixes' out there that involve VBS scripts and the like -- they look dodgy to me.

Insufficient information. I assume you did A/V and malware scans?

I've never had that happen on any Windows version.

My complaint with Win10 is periodic BSODs. The ones I see are Kernel Security Failure and DCP Watchdog Violation. The latter is particularly annoying. My main application is Firefox, and the BSOD tends to occur when a Firefox operation takes longer than whatever Windows thinks is a reasonable time. Since you are the mercy of what you are attempting to connect to in how long things take, I'd love to find a way to increase the timeout value.

I have MS Edge installed here and haven't seen an issue when using it, but Edge is nowhere near ready to replace FF. (The biggest lack is extensions. They exist, but are still thin on the ground, and the only one I have installed is the Edge port of uBlock Origin.
______
Dennis
Advert
Old 11-09-2018, 12:37 PM   #456
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:

Attachment 167566

<...>

And the answer appears to be a bug in MS's activation server, in the process of being fixed:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/window...sues-resolved/
______
Dennis
Old 11-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #457
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well lets hope they really fix it this time, the threadlink I posted was started in Feb 2017 and I saw other reports dated 2016 on Win 8.1!

However, my post was primarily intended as a heads up for anyone else who gets the diaphanous, non-dismissible, stay-on-top pop-up.

BTW: I haven't seen a BSOD since I replaced my video card wrecking, memory module eating, Gigabyte MOBO desktop with a Dell XPS built-to-spec system.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-09-2018 at 03:56 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:59 PM   #458
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Well lets hope they really fix it this time, the threadlink I posted was started in Feb 2017 and I saw other reports dated 2016 on Win 8.1!
As mentioned, I never had that particular problem. I did have fun at one pint running WinXP. I was building systems from components, and hardware failures and system upgrades had me migrating my XP install. It reached a point where online activation failed, and I had to call MS. The tech just wanted to be sure I wasn't trying to run XP on more than one system at a time, and I said "No, same physical system. Motherboard failure forced me to migrate." He took care of it.

(That experience went some way to curing me of building my own machines. )

Quote:
However, my post was primarily intended as a heads up for anyone else who gets the diaphanous, non-dismissible, stay-on-top pop-up.
Understood.

Quote:
BTW: I haven't seen a BSOD since I replaced my video card wrecking, memory module eating, Gigabyte MOBO desktop with a Dell XPS built-to-spec system.
My current desktop is a replacement for an earlier Dell that suffered a power supply failure, and the Small Form Factor design meant I couldn't replace just it. That system came with Win7 Pro, and I took advantage of MS's free upgrade offer to go to Win10 Pro. It was not a happy experience, and my comment was "New and different BSODs! Collect the whole set!" because I was. One unpleasant surprise was the the Xeon CPU in the old system was not on Win10's supported list, so only two of the four cores were usable.

The current system is an HP Small Form Factor system with a CPU that is on the supported list and all four cores are used. A lot of the issues with the Dell resolved to inadequate hardware support for Win10. It installed and ran, for suitable values of "ran", but left a lot to be desired. The HP has overall been much better. Among other things, it's designed for serviceability, and it's easy to pop the hood and fiddle.

It came with Win7 Pro, and the MS free upgrade was long over. But I hadn't installed Win10 online on the Dell - I downloaded the media to a USB thumb drive. I bet that I could run the upgrade process from it to get a Win10 Pro system, and was right.

I did reuse a few things from the Dell. I'd gotten it a 240GB Crucial MX100 SSD that I set up as boot drive and cloned Win10 to. It took a bit to figure out how to reuse it - the utility that came with the MX100 did not properly clone the installation on the SATA drive. It turned out a utility I already had that I'd used to wipe and reinitialize the drive to factory stock status would successfully clone Win10 to it as well.

The BSODs I still get are annoying but can be lived with - rebooting after one takes about a minute to get back to a working desktop. Finally getting an SSD was one of the best moves I've made. (And I just got a firmware upgrade for the SSD, which may help with one of the SSDs.)

I also got a low profile AMD-ATI video card for the Dell to replace the onboard Intel graphics, but I wound up taking it out of the HP. The HP has onboard Intel HD2000 graphics that outperform the ATI card.

The most recent upgrades were a PCI-e USB3 card, since the HP came with USB2, and a USB3 drive enclosure to make swapping in other HDs easier. For the most part, I'm happy. At some point I'm likely to take the box from the current 8GB RAM to the full 32GB it can support, but since I don't normally see even half of the 8GB currently installed used, there's no urgency.
______
Dennis
Old 12-10-2018, 04:53 AM   #459
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
This is a rant and a plea for help for you tech gurus familiar with Linux. I'm a windows gal.

I have a drive I use for media. It was plugged into my Netgear router and uses a feature called ReadyShare. While accessing the share using SMB1 on my laptop. I suddenly was given an admin\permission error from the Router. The entire folder I was accessing disappeared! I plugged the drive in Windows 10 and everything shows fine except that folder that has ALL my Holiday music. Which was about 80GB. I've tried various recovery software none show anything on scans. They were all in a main Folder with multiple subfolders sorted by Genre/Artist/Album. Is it truly gone?!? The space on the drive has not changed. I'm now also concern about the integrity of the drive because the space hasn't changed. Not hardware per say but file structure wise. There's no way I can back it all up. It's my biggest drive. 3TB and 1.6TB used. Is there a way to check it for errors or repair to the correct size?

I read something about XFS systems on the Netgear forum but my drive is formatted as NFTS. The drive is sitting unused till while I try to grab the backup of music off a very very very slow server off the cloud.

I'm ready to bawl my eyes out if that Router permanently harmed my drive. I'm not able to buy a new one right now. It will never be plugged into the router again. I'll stick it on the Desktop from now on after I get this mess fixed.

The rant is at myself for trusting something I wasn't familiar with.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:32 AM   #460
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
When you plug it into a PC you should be able to access the error check in properties>tools? Is it a portable or powered drive?
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:39 AM   #461
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you! I did tried that and it said found a few errors and fix them but nothing changed. However seeing your post I went to Google and that led me to a program I used in the past called EaseUS Partition Manager Free and that had a File Checker on it and after I ran it...........
Code:
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is recovering lost files.
  1 unindexed files processed.                               
Recovering orphaned file Amazon Music (869095) into directory file 1475.
Correcting minor file name errors in file 869095.
That fixed it!!!!! I have all my music back!!! (This is me running and jumping around the room doing a happy dance!) And the free space is now correct too.

I've yet to sleep. This happened at 11PM last night and I've been trying everything. So please excuse any gibberish. I'm exhausted, I'm off to sleep now!
Old 12-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #462
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad you could recover it. I used to have some corruption issues using a portable drive with my Netgear router. No problems for 2-3 years now since I switched to a powered drive. With the R6300v2's USB3 port it's almost as fast as an ethernet drive. BUT the router will sometimes disconnect the drive if I overload it with multiple concurrent file transfers. It's a handy way to share content but I wouldn't trust it with anything critical...
Old 12-10-2018, 03:21 PM   #463
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Glad you could recover it. I used to have some corruption issues using a portable drive with my Netgear router. No problems for 2-3 years now since I switched to a powered drive. With the R6300v2's USB3 port it's almost as fast as an ethernet drive. BUT the router will sometimes disconnect the drive if I overload it with multiple concurrent file transfers. It's a handy way to share content but I wouldn't trust it with anything critical...
We have the same router. My drive is powered through a power supply plugged into the wall. It's a Western Digital My Book 3TB. So maybe the brand of drive is to blame. I've put it back on my Vista Desktop. I've not had trouble with Readyshare till now. So happy that the drive is fixed now. That was the only error CHKDSK found. Everything else checked out okay.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #464
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I assume that as you are using ReadySHARE that you are using the USB port on the router.

I use USB ports on routers for printers but I have had enough glitches with those to convince me I would never use the same for transferring critical data (so I agree with cc_in_oh). I connect all USB external drives either directly to the PC or using a hub.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 09:49 AM   #465
cc_in_oh
Bob's my uncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
We have the same router. My drive is powered through a power supply plugged into the wall. It's a Western Digital My Book 3TB. So maybe the brand of drive is to blame. I've put it back on my Vista Desktop. I've not had trouble with Readyshare till now. So happy that the drive is fixed now. That was the only error CHKDSK found. Everything else checked out okay.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Mine is just a cheap Seagate 4TB - I'd expect WD to be better. Since the drive never gets "ejected", I've always wondered how the router manages it to avoid errors - I could never find any documentation on that. Especially since mine gets written to every day, and rudely shut down every night when I turn off the power bar it and the router are plugged into.

I got the Best Buy BF deal on a Nighthawk AC2400 for $80 but haven't gotten around to setting it up yet - I'll be interested to see how well it works with the USB drive.