Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
carmen2014
carmen2014 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Kobo Vox and Overdrive

I'm expecting Kobo to operate with wifi and online Kobo drm books from site. Overdrive works like a charm with wifi and downloads to my ipod touch for audiobooks. There's a status bar and fast simple.
Kobo books are really well stocked, better than my library ebooks. So I'm willing to pay a bit of money for the specific titles. And this was an experiment anyways. Free is always better. But anyways.
Had trouble getting ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) to recognize library titles in Kobo. But Overdrive (a drm app) opens my store purchased through wifi fast and with status bar evident which is important to know before switching off the import. Saves time waste and frustration. Problem is, will my drm via Overdrive expire my Kobo book? Or will that title live on my library for retrieval forever while I maintain a Kobo account.
I also use audible.com for a monthly charge and find their marrying of device fast and simple.
Any suggestions on what works best?
Or where to belong to an ebook monthly club for cheaper rates?
carmen2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:39 PM   #2
alieda
Library Student
alieda began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Kobo tablet and Overdrive

In theory I think you should be able to download Overdrive for your Vox, since it is available as an Android app. I use Overdrive with my Kobo Arc. Library books generally have a file extension where the file automatically deletes from your account in 14 days (it will expire on Overdrive, on your device, and in ADE).

For ADE, you need to authorize both your computer and your device with your Adobe ID in order for things to run smoothly, and to transfer books from your library to your computer to your Kobo. The Overdrive app definitely speeds up and simplifies the process.

I recommend the Kobo Arc if you are going to be reading library books because I can guarantee that Overdrive is a breeze.

Re: monthly e-book club: Have you heard of Oyster? It's like Netflix for books.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenbe...lix-for-books/
alieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2014, 05:30 AM   #3
carmen2014
carmen2014 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Thanks for the tip but it includes buying a new device as I have a Kobo Vox not an Arc and am one of those recyclers who keep things until they fall apart. Secondly, I belong to Scribd which is the glitch. Google and Adobe are competitors and want their own brand of gismo gadget arena. Scribd is supposedly the world's largest ebook distributor but unfortunately doesn't have access to all the publishing houses.
I notice you're a library background so you come across the platforms people use for distributing ebooks. I do use my local library for ebooks and Overdrive is spectacularly easy. So that's what I'll try to do with Kobo and scribd with my old job Kobo.
carmen2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #4
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
I downloaded Overdrive to my Vox when I signed up with my public library, following their instructions.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #5
alieda
Library Student
alieda began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Vox, Overdrive and Kobo Store

As to your question of whether books you have purchased from Kobo will disappear in ADE (like library books do), the answer is no. Library books disappear after their lending period due to their specific DRM code, where they are automatically "returned." Once you purchase a book, though, it is yours to keep. The DRM of purchased books should prevent copying and distributing, but any books your buy are assigned to your Kobo account and will "belong" to that account indefinitely.

That said, your purchased books should automatically sync to your Vox, so you don't need to transfer them manually. You can also access the Kobo store using your device and skip the use of your PC altogether. Should you delete purchased books from both ADE and your device, they will remain available to you using Kobo Desktop.

I hope that has answered your question?
alieda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
vox downloading overdrive