Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 10-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #31
greatyay
greatyay began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Although kindle app is cool, is there an easy way just to make the default sony app to be able to support ePub/text files in UTF8/Unicode format?

Last edited by greatyay; 10-24-2011 at 12:27 PM.
greatyay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:26 PM   #32
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatyay View Post
Although kindle app is cool, is there an easy way just to make the default sony app to able to support ePub/text files in UTF8/Unicode format?
They already do, out of the box. What are you talking about?
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #33
greatyay

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
They already do, out of the box. What are you talking about?
It doesn't - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=153778
Old 10-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #34
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatyay View Post
Ok, you should have specified that you are talking about Asian fonts. Because the reader supports Unicode just fine.

As far as the Asian fonts are concerned, yes, you can do something about it. Replace the fonts in the fonts filesystem. I am not going to work on this.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #35
greatyay

Sorry for that , but how can I get access to the fonts file system and insert the fonts I want?
Could you give me some hints on that?
I am a dummy on this field..
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #36
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
porkupan, first thank you

About these app not installing, any way to get some log or something ? Anything that would help to point at the problem, and help fix it ?

Last edited by EowynCarter; 10-24-2011 at 02:14 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:52 PM   #37
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
porkupan, first thank you

About these app not installing, any way to get some log or something ? Anything that would help to point at the problem, and help fix it ?
You can run "logcat -d" in Terminal, or better in adb shell window. That sometimes helps... Or you can dump the logs via Test Tools (they end up in the "global memory", in testtools folder, I think).
Old 10-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #38
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ok, i got a bit forward.

Error message :
Quote:
2011-10-24 21:09:51.500 E PackageHelper (5180:5185) [log_main ] Failed to create secure container smdl2tmp1
2011-10-24 21:09:51.500 E DefContainer (5180:5185) [log_main ] Failed to create container smdl2tmp1
After google search and all.
The problem is the /mnt/asec folder is missing. But, i'm denied right to create it.
Typing su in terminal gets segmentation fault.

Right, i need to do the second part of the tutorial to be root...

Last edited by EowynCarter; 10-24-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 04:43 PM   #39
EowynCarter
Wizard

My reader gave me some scare !
Thought it was bricked..
Lukily, no, it started. ADB installed. Still no root though.
And i'm worried i didn't managed in start on recovery. When should you start pressing home and menu ? the "reader" screen ? the screeen just after ?
Mmm, ok, when trying to start recovery, it stays stuck at the fist screen. Not good !!!!

Last edited by EowynCarter; 10-24-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #40
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Mmm, ok, when trying to start recovery, it stays stuck at the fist screen. Not good !!!!
It should be "stuck on the first screen", it's fine. There is no pictures or images to be output on the eInk when the reader is in recovery mode. But you should be able to log in via Serial Gadget.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #41
Tomana
Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: treo 650
Quote:
I wonder when did you download the enable-adb package? Just trying to figure out why you may have gone into the boot loop after trying to install it.

To recover you probably don't need to boot from SD card. First of all you need to get into the recovery mode. While the reader is rebooting, press and hold HOME and MENU. The reader should boot into the recovery mode and stop. You may need to hold those buttons until it stops recycling.

You can then log into the USB serial terminal, and restore the ramdisk image by hand.

1) Copy the ramdisk-origi.uimg to micro-SD card
2) Put the card into the reader
3) Mount it:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/sd
4) cd /mnt/sd
dd ramdisk-orig.uimg of=/dev/mmcblk2 seek=10240 count=600 bs=512
5) Reboot

Good luck!
I downloaded the "enable-adb" last night from the-book.org when I got my T1. Started as flashing the minimal expansion package... and ran still it asked me to press any keys... I did so but it turns into bootloop ever since

I would like to ask a few more question before I try my luck in restoring the T1

1 - How may I "log into the USB serial terminal"?
2 - Where can I obtain "ramdisk-origi.uimg"? From the zip of restore-set.zip?

Thanks a million again and frankly I appreciate your work on T1 so so much.. I dumped my Kindle 3 and jump onto T1 once I see your work
Tomana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #42
porkupan
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
I downloaded the "enable-adb" last night from the-book.org when I got my T1. Started as flashing the minimal expansion package... and ran still it asked me to press any keys... I did so but it turns into bootloop ever since
So, what did you flash? The minimal expansion package or the enable-adb package? I can't understand exactly what you are saying here.

Quote:
1 - How may I "log into the USB serial terminal"?
You need to be connected to the PC via USB cable. When the reader boots up in recovery mode, the PC should see a "Serial Gadget" device, and you can then install the device driver (gserial.inf, included in the package). Then you can log into the "serial port" with the help of PUTTY or other such terminal program.

Quote:
2 - Where can I obtain "ramdisk-origi.uimg"? From the zip of restore-set.zip?
From the disable-adb package
Old 10-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #43
Tomana
Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Talking

Quote:
So, what did you flash? The minimal expansion package or the enable-adb package? I can't understand exactly what you are saying here.
I started with flashing the minimal expansion package - successful. Then I downloaded the "enable-ADB" from the original release thread and flashed the same way I did with the "minimal expansion package". It's done in about 10 minutes and the "press any button" prompted... the reader then reboot and loop-booting.

Strangely, it booted into Android as what I got after flashing the minimal expansion package this morning after I had booted into the recovery mode. I was trying to figure how to use that USB mode but suddenly saw the T1 rebooting and into Android itself. Now everything's set.

Thanks again for your help and, with your invaluable effort, T1 can be the best ever reader we have :P.

I would like to know if ADB environment is necessary and what exactly is the use of that ADB for.... in other Android phone, I do use ADB for pushing applications to phones yet I wonder if we can ever installed google market to it for easier APPs installation.. :P

Still trying to figure out how to install apps on T1
Old 10-24-2011, 11:58 PM   #44
Glamthaus
Glamthaus began at the beginning.

Rooted successfully, been installing apps and customizing and just enjoying the newness of it all (first time using Android). Thanks so much for your hard work porkupan! Really awesome stuff.

I do have a question though. I noticed that the hardware left and right buttons no longer work within the web browser (normally they scroll a full page up or down, increasing the usability of the browser tenfold). Is there any way to get these buttons working again?

Thanks in advance for any help
Glamthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:47 AM   #45
Tomana

Glamthaus, Do you mind sharing how did you install apps? I transferred .apk files into the reader and use the root explorer trying to locate those transferred files but no avail. Wonder what's going on :P

Tags
android, prs-t1, root, rooted, sony