Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-06-2018, 01:32 PM   #61
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
You're welcome. It almost got a second from me as soon as it went up, but I decided I should hold on and see what else showed up and then I ran out of votes.

I haven't read that Mary Stewart book. The book of hers I've read most recently was Wildfire at Midnight, which was a fun murder mystery - a wonderful array of characters.
Now that they've all become available as e-books, I feel the need for a Mary Stewart reread someday soon. I just wish audiobooks were readily available--there are old unabridged cassette and CD recordings of at least some of them, but not digital downloads, sadly.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #62
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Now that they've all become available as e-books, I feel the need for a Mary Stewart reread someday soon. I just wish audiobooks were readily available--there are old unabridged cassette and CD recordings of at least some of them, but not digital downloads, sadly.
Check Downpour.com. I noticed some there. Not available outside of the US, from the looks of it The books are unabridged, and have no DRM. They also appear to be available at Audible. With the usual DRM that can be handled.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:16 PM   #63
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Thanks. Definitely case-by-case. Things could get messy real fast if everyone went chopping and changing their nominations, this just seemed a reasonable compromise in the circumstances - and The Perfect Horse is one that will get a vote from me.
Yes. In general, we can't have people withdrawing nominations that don't work out. You take your chances. But in this particular instance, I don't see the harm; no one else is affected and it gets another book into the poll.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #64
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Check Downpour.com. I noticed some there. Not available outside of the US, from the looks of it The books are unabridged, and have no DRM. They also appear to be available at Audible. With the usual DRM that can be handled.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. The Arthurian audiobooks became available a year or two ago, but I meant Mary Stewart's earlier romantic suspense books--Nine Coaches Waiting, My Brother Michael, This Rough Magic, etc. The cassettes and/or CDs were published by Chivers Sound Library in the 1980s (some of the narrations are by Jane Asher, who was once Paul McCartney's girlfriend). They're out of print, and used copies are generally expensive.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #65
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Ah. Sorry, not an author I enjoy, so I wouldn't have known the difference.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:50 PM   #66
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I used to love her books. My favourite was Touch Not the Cat, and I really liked her Arthurian books too.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:14 AM   #67
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's the poll!
Old 07-08-2018, 06:43 PM   #68
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I just realized that I already have The Great Halifax Explosion. I thought it sounded familiar! Wall Street Journal has a monthly ebook giveaway for subscribers in collaboration with BookShout.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:03 PM   #69
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You will be pleased with the way the poll is going then!
Old 07-13-2018, 04:20 AM   #70
kso
Enthusiast
kso began at the beginning.

Device: Android, iPad, iPod, kindle {keyboard,fire7,hdx8.9} kobo, Sony PRS 600
Not the type of war most are thinking about

I suggest Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom, about a "war" that's unfortunately never going to end (I used to be an optimist; I'm now old enough to be a realist).

klaus
kso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:47 AM   #71
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kso View Post
I suggest Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom, about a "war" that's unfortunately never going to end (I used to be an optimist; I'm now old enough to be a realist).

klaus
Welcome to the book club, klaus!

An interesting suggestion and another direction to take this theme; the world is a sorry and worrisome place these days. Thank you. More book titles are always good, but the poll for the August selection closed a few days ago and picked The Great Halifax Explosion by John U. Bacon which is free for Kindle at Amazon UK. The discussion starts on August 15 and everyone's welcome. Hope you'll join in.

If you can't wait, the July discussion of Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury starts in a few days. It's a shortish book and people don't have to be there at the opening bell.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:00 AM   #72
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Pretty much guaranteed I won't be... I've barely started reading.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #73
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

One of the nominated books, Killer Angels by Michael Shaara, is on sale today at Amazon for $1.99.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:48 PM   #74
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Thanks Catlady.
ETA Not in Australia alas.

Last edited by Bookpossum; 08-10-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #75
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
One of the nominated books, Killer Angels by Michael Shaara, is on sale today at Amazon for $1.99.
A really terrific book. Historical fiction doesn't get better.