Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-08-2018, 01:49 PM   #1
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Thinking of getting an aura h20.

Hi,
I've been thinking about getting an aura h20 1st edition since they are not too expensive. Its there a big difference between the two versions? I have always wanted a waterproof reader for reading near the pool and in the bath tub. I read lots of fan fiction and would use pocket often. Its the first edition just as good?

Btw, I live in the U.S. and don't know where the best place to get the kobo.

Thanks,

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:02 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The H2O2 has IPX8 waterproofing (better than the H2O). It weights less. It has 8GB internal storage. It has the Comfort light pro that allows you to adjust to remove the blue tint to the front light with an orange light. And finally, there is no door covering the USB port.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:15 PM   #3
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
The biggest difference IMO is that the H2O2 has no SD card, which means it's limited to 8GB of storage.

I've bought 3 original H2Os since the version 2 came out, because of that downgrade in version 2.

Last edited by sjfan; 02-08-2018 at 02:26 PM.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:05 PM   #4
J_K
Enthusiast
J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: H2O 2, Aura 2, Clara HD, Touch
I looked into the differences when buying my H2O 2 and I found a useful discussion at https://www.e-reader-forum.de/ebook-...h2o-edition-2/ It's in German, but Google/Chrome translate will give you the gist of the discussion.

It's worth noting that the H2O 2 has a capacitive screen compared to the infrared on the original H2O. It is widely agreed that this makes the H2O 2 screen look a bit darker when the light is turned off. See the detailed photos here http://aldus2006.typepad.fr/.a/6a00d...9021695970b-pi and here http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php...1499848074.jpg But the H2O 2 looks to do a bit better on text blackness in those photos.
J_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
Hi,
I've been thinking about getting an aura h20 1st edition since they are not too expensive. Its there a big difference between the two versions? I have always wanted a waterproof reader for reading near the pool and in the bath tub. I read lots of fan fiction and would use pocket often. Its the first edition just as good?

Btw, I live in the U.S. and don't know where the best place to get the kobo.

Thanks,

Penny
H20 has an SD card slot, allowing for a very large storage capacity. It uses a rubber flap to cover the card slot and charging port. Some people didn't like that flap.

H202 drop the SD card slot, but does have a hefty 8GB of internal storage. It has a color changing frontlight which is supposed to be better for night reading. There's no longer a flap needed to protect the charging port.

The 2 has a better waterproof rating than the first model, but that likely shouldn't matter, unless you were planning to read while scuba diving. Either can survive a dunk in the pool/tub.

Both are nice. Each has plusses and minuses. If I were to buy one, I'd buy whichever I could get cheaper.

I live in the US and bought my Kobo off of eBay. I'd link to the seller I bought mine from, because he was great. But he only has the 6" Auras

I had looked into buying from this seller. They're going for $130.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:21 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

$130 is a lot to pay when you won't get a warranty.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:09 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
$130 is a lot to pay when you won't get a warranty.
I guess it's up to the purchaser of course. How much is one from a supplier that will give you a warranty? Neither Chapters or Kobo has the H2O in stock.

I've never used a warranty on any of my devices. it's not even something I consider when making a purchase.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:16 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I guess it's up to the purchaser of course. How much is one from a supplier that will give you a warranty? Neither Chapters or Kobo has the H2O in stock.

I've never used a warranty on any of my devices. it's not even something I consider when making a purchase.
Yes, Chapters and Kobo has the H2O2 in stock.

As for the warranty, what if you did need it and didn't have it? I've read of people having trouble in a way that the warranty would apply.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:26 PM   #9
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

As for the warranty, what if you did need it and didn't have it? I've read of people having trouble in a way that the warranty would apply.
Outside of cars (which are a unique case since the warranty also applies to some expected ongoing maintenance), I've used a warranty maybe twice in my life.

If you could save even 5% on purchases at the expense of not having a manufacturer warranty, you're coming out ahead on average unless you use the warranty on 1 in 20 purchases. If that's the case, you've got bigger problems.

(And note that at least in the US, UK, and other common-law countries, there are often implicit warranties of merchantibility and fitness, even if there's no explicit warranty granted; check your jurisdiction for details)
Old 02-08-2018, 06:33 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
(And note that at least in the US, UK, and other common-law countries, there are often implicit warranties of merchantibility and fitness, even if there's no explicit warranty granted; check your jurisdiction for details)
You don't get a warranty from a 3rd party selling on eBay. If the item is OK and after 2-weeks something goes wrong, you have no warranty and you cannot return it. You cannot contact PayPal and say it's broken. Basically, you lose. So yes, a warranty is worth having.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:35 PM   #11
sjfan
Addict

Quote:
You don't get a warranty from a 3rd party selling on eBay. If the item is OK and after 2-weeks something goes wrong, you have no warranty and you cannot return it. You cannot contact PayPal and say it's broken. Basically, you lose. So yes, a warranty is worth having.
It's worth something for sure. But if you're saving 30% (as quoted), or even 10%, you'd have to be pretty sure you're going to need it for it to be worth that markup.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:37 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
It's worth something for sure. But if you're saving 30% (as quoted), or even 10%, you'd have to be pretty sure you're going to need it for it to be worth that markup.
And where does this 30% or even 10% price increase for a warranty come from?
Old 02-08-2018, 06:44 PM   #13
sjfan
Addict

Quote:
And where does this 30% or even 10% price increase for a warranty come from?
30% was a mental back of the envelope calculation based on the $130 he quoted vs. the $180 standard price. If you do the math, it's actually 27.8%.

Close enough that the same logic applies.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:08 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_K View Post
It's worth noting that the H2O 2 has a capacitive screen compared to the infrared on the original H2O.
Are you sure of this? I'm sure the discussion when it came out was that it had an IR screen. The reviews I can find state IR touch (eg). And it has a raised bezel. That suggests IR rather than capacitive.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:10 AM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:

If you read my post more carefully, you will note I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Neither Chapters or Kobo has the H2O in stock.
The H2O2 is neither here nor there.

Quote:
As for the warranty, what can I say? I'm a gambling man. What if you don't need the warranty and you've paid +$50 for it? Was it a deal?

I'm not trying to convert you. You think your way and I'll think mine and the world will keep on spinning.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 02-09-2018 at 10:13 AM.