Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-24-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
demoric
Kindle 2 User
demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
eject kindle in linux (not unmount)

I use my Kindle in Ubuntu linux, and I have always had to disconnect the kindle from USB to be able to use the device to read or to test modifications.

In Windows if you eject the kindle it still charges over usb and allows you to use the device as a kindle. However in many linux distros the option you are shown in your GUI (Ubuntu's is Nautilus) is to un-mount the device which does not permit you to use the device to do anything while charging. If you want to still be able to read your kindle or use it's other features you have to use the eject command instead of unmount.

sudo eject /dev/sdb1

Please note: the device location may be different on your system to find the device open a teminal window and type: sudo fdisk -l and search for a device that uses a W95 FAT32 filesystem change the /dev pathway as needed. Also, some distros will not need the sudo aspect of the commmand line.

Last edited by demoric; 07-25-2009 at 12:21 AM.
demoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
Syniurge
Enthusiast
Syniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a TexanSyniurge might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: PRS-650
Thanks for sharing this very interesting find, it never crossed my mind to use eject for a USB device.

But are you sure the charging turns off when unmounting ? The charging LED still gives light after unmounting, here in KDE.

Last edited by Syniurge; 07-24-2009 at 08:13 PM.
Syniurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
And the man page for eject says "If the device is currently mounted, it is unmounted before ejecting."
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:12 AM   #4
demoric
Kindle 2 User
demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
I'll update my original post to reflect to be more specific about the behaviors. I was misleading in the default behaviors the kindle doesn't stop charging when unmounted, but continues to show the usb icon image and states very clearly that if you want to use the kindle while charging to eject it. Unmounting the device alone doesn't permit you to use it while charging. I had just gotten so used to unplugging it to do updates and testing that my brain associated it with NOT charging.
demoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
Teyrnon
Groupie
Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Teyrnon has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: jetBook, Kindle DX, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Nook Simple Touch
Kindle wouldn't delete sample

But this post was really helpful in figuring out how to disconnect the kindle from my Linux system. Thanks.

Last edited by Teyrnon; 08-02-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Teyrnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert