Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you use your Kobo to buy books?
No I don’t. 33 32.67%
No I don’t but I like having the option to do so. 24 23.76%
Hell no I hate having that on my Kobo. 9 8.91%
Yes I do. 27 26.73%
I love these options to get new books. 1 0.99%
I don’t use my Kobo to buy books but I do from the website thanks to the suggestions from my Kobo. 5 4.95%
I could care less either way. 2 1.98%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2012, 05:45 AM   #31
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by winsomnia View Post
The issue for me is that buying and reading are two different activities.
Exactly!

I'm curious - all those people out there who DO purchase books on their kobo - how do you choose what to buy? Unless I'm buying say the 15th book by my favourite author I spend quite a bit of time reading reviews and even if I know I want a book I still compare prices (on several different sites) before my purchase. You can't do that on the Kobo.

When I borrow from the library however I just click on anything that looks interesting. If I don't like it then I just return it the next day. My success rate is above 50% and I have found some interesting new authors but I can't afford to shop like that!!
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #32
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I bought 1 book using Kobo Wifi from Kobo on line store as a test and a few more using Kobo Desktop program. Discover, Wishlist, and other book sales promotion on the reader or desktop program I don't mind if they don't use a lot of processing time or memory and now are not really intrusive.

What I find useful is Feedbooks has short author biography in front of their books and lists other books by the author with download links. At back of book is short introductions to other books by author with download links. Paper back books had this for years and I have down loaded ebooks from these links but the the links are not accessible from Kobo readers. This is probably because they bypass kobo store but are enticing advertising because I'm looking for another book to read.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #33
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
I have no particular aversion to the Kobo ebook store, but apart from an initial single purchase to see how it worked I don't generally buy books from Kobo for several reasons;

I have a couple of other tablets which I like better, although they do have Kobo reader s/w on them which I could use, I suppose.

I get my books mainly from public libraries because they're free.

If I did decide to buy an ebook, I would check out the prices on Amazon and Google's bookstore as well. (But I would start with the latter to first use up the $25 credit that came with my Nexus 7)
Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:33 AM   #34
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Yes, I've bought via the device and wifi, but only when I'm in bed at night away from the PC. As there are a lot of authors I like i usually do an author search and then choose a book and buy . It's always been very simple and quick for me.
I've never bought from their suggestions though. and wish the Kobo Desktop wasn't cluttered with them.
Generally though I borrow from the library, try indie authors and download free books. A top author is a special treat.
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #35
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
nope. I'm having a rather long conversation with kobo help on why prices are different on my reader than on my computer -- and now that it just updated to 2.1.5, there's even more store differences.

I guess if something has to be borked on my KT, the storefront's the best thing.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #36
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I've never bought a book with my Kobo, nor do I plan to. Everything in my library is either public domain or DRM-free versions of books I already own in other mediums (mainly print).
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:11 AM   #37
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well now that I have one ... no
Well not yet anyways. But I might, though I don't know how it would work cause I'd have to install Adobe for DRM's and I don't know how that goes. And since I got quite a lot to read before that, I guess I'm in no hurry to do so
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:16 AM   #38
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Well now that I have one ... no
Well not yet anyways. But I might, though I don't know how it would work cause I'd have to install Adobe for DRM's and I don't know how that goes. And since I got quite a lot to read before that, I guess I'm in no hurry to do so
You don't have to install ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) to buy and read books from Kobo. Kobo have their own "lock" on their files, they don't use ADE. Kobo's "lock" is opened by any kobo device that is logged into your kobo account. So you can easily download/buy any book from kobobooks.com, or from Kobo's Desktop software, or from the Glo or Touch (or other Kobo ereader) and have the book work right away on your device (sync device first for the book to download to the device if you bought the book with the computer).
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:23 AM   #39
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well I'll let you know if it was that easy for me when I try
In the meantime why does it say "Adobe DRM Epub" under every book description on the kobobooks store if Adobe is not part of Kobo's purchase process ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
You don't have to install ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) to buy and read books from Kobo. Kobo have their own "lock" on their files, they don't use ADE. Kobo's "lock" is opened by any kobo device that is logged into your kobo account. So you can easily download/buy any book from kobobooks.com, or from Kobo's Desktop software, or from the Glo or Touch (or other Kobo ereader) and have the book work right away on your device (sync device first for the book to download to the device if you bought the book with the computer).
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:16 AM   #40
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Nope. And I keep wireless off because I'm on firmware 1.9.17.

I know what I want to buy without suggestions from retailers (I use friend recs and reviews to choose books), then I comparison shop with booko and similar places before I buy.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #41
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I've bought one book from kobo through the website which was downloaded to my device via syncing over wifi. I also had some books I'd bought from kobo in 2010 and they were also downloaded when I did a wifi sync.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:13 AM   #42
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
In the meantime why does it say "Adobe DRM Epub" under every book description on the kobobooks store if Adobe is not part of Kobo's purchase process ?
It Allows you to read books on non kobo devices

if you buy a book and are using a kobo device the kobo epub file will be sent to your device and synced with other kobo devices (you can ignore the adobe epub if you wish)

if you dont have a kobo, or want to manually put a book on your kobo you can download the adobe epub version
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 05:48 AM   #43
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsalter View Post
It Allows you to read books on non kobo devices

if you buy a book and are using a kobo device the kobo epub file will be sent to your device and synced with other kobo devices (you can ignore the adobe epub if you wish)

if you dont have a kobo, or want to manually put a book on your kobo you can download the adobe epub version
I believe you can download the epub version and transfer via ADE to other compatible readers? This is what I did a few years back when I had a Sony reader and bought books from kobo.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #44
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
I'm with winsomnia. I'm a computer programmer and a touch typist with an ergonomic keyboard. If at all possible I will use the computer keyboard to do my typing. Even if it's for just the title of the book or the author.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #45
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
I believe you can download the epub version and transfer via ADE to other compatible readers? This is what I did a few years back when I had a Sony reader and bought books from kobo.
This is correct. My personal process is to download the epub, load it into ADE, go to the ADE download folder, strip the DRM, move the (now) DRM free epub to my own purchased folder to back up the book and then move a copy onto my Kobo to read. It sounds like an extensive process but it only takes about 5 minutes (actually less than that I believe). BTW I bypass Calibre using a stand alone program for the DRM stripping. Personal preference.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote