Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
tenne
tenne began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Kobo and borders

Can you buy books from Borders for your Kobo in Canada? it says powered by Kobo but also ebook downloads are available only in the US.
tenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
I think you answered your own question, but if you had provided a link to click, I might have tried to find out for sure... Mostly I buy from Kobo and Smashwords, sometimes Sony, and I still have too many to read -- that's enough stores for me.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
tenne

Actually a response to another question answered this for me. I was confused because I thought Kobo meant the Kobo reader and it seems an oxymoron that it was a Kobo powered (as in the Kobo from chapters.indigo) but not available in the US. I guess I should have worded my question better to say can you down load with a Kobo even though you aren't in the US. I thought perhaps that statement was for other ereaders.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
Now I'm really confused. You can't download with a Kobo as it has no internet connectivity.

The issue, as usual, is the DRM. If the store you are buying from sells ePubs either with no DRM, or with some form of the Adobe ADE that is compatible with the Kobo reader, then you are good to go.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:33 PM   #5
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamsterRage View Post
Now I'm really confused. You can't download with a Kobo as it has no internet connectivity.

The issue, as usual, is the DRM. If the store you are buying from sells ePubs either with no DRM, or with some form of the Adobe ADE that is compatible with the Kobo reader, then you are good to go.
I think tenne means can she plug her Kobo in using the USB connector and download from Borders in the US.

I don't think DRM is the problem here it is the Geographic Restrictions that either will or will not allow companies to sell ebooks in some countries.

I would suggest you try and see what happens. Find something that is either free or costs 99 cents if you are worried about losing your money.

In my experience (as an Australian who deals with Geographic Restrictions regularly) if you can't download something you find out at the very last minute - after you have had time to get excited about finally finding a book you have been searching for - you are usually thrilled with the price too - but then you realise it's not going to happen...

BUT so far I haven't had to pay for anything that has been restricted.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
tenne

The reason I haven't tried to down load anything is when you click on the free apps to put on your computer it comes up with a Kobo set up that looks like the one that came with the Kobo.

So I'm worried that:
1. I'll overwrite my Kobo apps with something and lose everything
2. I heard, and it could be an interent rumour, that if you download into Canada a book that is only for the US, you risk having your account wiped out.

I don't want to chance it and was wondering if anyone knew for sure if you could do it or not.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:29 PM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Tenne, if you are in Canada and go to kobobooks.com you will get only books that are available in Canada. No worries.

You can purchase books (including free books) from both the website and the desktop application. Again, no worries. The website is easier, IMO, in terms of searching and browsing.

If you buy/download from the website, and then attach your Kobo through the USB and open the Kobo desktop software, you have the choice to update your library on the desktop application. You also have the option of syncing, which will put anything that is in the I'm reading tab on the website into I'm reading on your Kobo. It will also remove a book from your Kobo reader if it is NOT listed in I'm reading. Remember, you can always download again. No worries.

My preference is to download ePUB from Kobo using ADE, but this is probably enough for now.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote