Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
sepinho
sepinho began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kobo Glo HD, Onyx Boox Nova3
Screen frozen, can't turn off or reset, PC won't find device

First of all, let me thank you guys (and gals, I suppose) for maintaining the web's finest information source for all things e-booky. I've actually been lurking on this forum and the wiki for a while. As a matter of fact, I bought my PRS-300 on my last trip to the US (I'm German) after reading up on it in the wiki.

I've really enjoyed it thus far, but today, while reading a PDF, the device seems to have crashed hard: The screen is frozen, showing the last page I was reading. The reset button and the power button don't seem to do anything and Windows won't even find the device when I connect it via USB. The red light is on while plugged in though, indicating that the device is charging.

I've tried the reset-then-turn-on and the reset-then-turn-on-twice tricks that I've read about in threads about the PRS-700, neither seems to work. Unfortunately, I don't have either wall charger or a PSP charger, so I guess I'm out of luck. Any more suggestions?

I would hate to have to send it back to the States to have it repaired. The PRS-300 isn't even sold in Germany.
sepinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:44 PM   #2
Seventh Son
lurker
Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Seventh Son has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: I should probably stop
Leave it charging for a while and try turning it on again.
Seventh Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 03:31 AM   #3
sepinho

Thanks Seventh Son, that actually helped. Must be the battery indicator not working properly on the PRS-300, because it showed the battery as two thirds full, when it suddenly froze.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:42 AM   #4
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepinho View Post
Thanks Seventh Son, that actually helped. Must be the battery indicator not working properly on the PRS-300, because it showed the battery as two thirds full, when it suddenly froze.
May I pipe in to suggest you calibrate the battery? It's done this way: use up all the energy and re-charge it completely a couple of times. After that, it will show you the correct amount of energy it holds. Mind you, it's good practice to do it again every once in a while, and if it's too hot/you inadvertently left the device into a very hot place, such as a car in summer (happened to me during a rush to ER ).

And welcome to the forum!
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 03:54 AM   #5
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hi Sepinho: I had a whole heap of trouble with my Sony over the first few weeks. It always showed a full charge on the battery indicator but acted as though it was as flat as a pancake, with similar symptoms to those you're experiencing. I got a mains charger by mail order (there's a universal model so it's fine for you in Germany and me in France), re-formatted memory (first saving my books in a library for re-download, of course), and have never had a problem since. I guess charging via USB cable ain't all it's cracked up to be. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 06:00 AM   #6
sepinho

Wow, you folks are quick to reply! Thanks for your help and suggestions!

@Juliette: I guess I had inadvertently used up all the energy, I'm gonna have to try the recharge-again-and-again trick.

@neilmarr: Where would I order said charger? Directly from Sony? And is it the same as the PSP charger? I keep reading that I could use one of those as well. Which might just be the excuse I need to get a PSP while I'm at it..
Old 10-01-2009, 06:03 AM   #7
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepinho View Post
@Juliette: I guess I had inadvertently used up all the energy, I'm gonna have to try the recharge-again-and-again trick
The problem with battery firmwares is when they won't let you know that

Yes, it's the PSP one, or a recharge cable for PSP with an USB charger (like the ones for the iPod; not a standard usb cable with the USB charger!).
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:22 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hya Sepino:

The one I bought -- recommended for Sony readers -- is the 'universal charger' at $24.95 by Gomadic on this page: http://www.gomadic.com/brand-gomadic...cessories.html

You'll find it comes with a range of simple adapters that will fit any mains plug in Europe, US, UK and elsewhere (handy for travel). It's neat, easy to use and very, very fast.

A word of warning if you order this: Be very careful when you open the package it comes in. There's a tiny part, in a separate plastic envelope an inch or so square, that can be very easily overlooked. This is the 'tip-exchange' that you need to adapt the charger to the reader.

Gomadic is pretty efficient, by the way. My package arrived in a record four days of placing the order online. Great customer service, too (which is why I know about that tiny little part ... like a twit, I didn't notice it before I threw away the wraping and they had to rush me another one [gratis]).

Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
sepinho

Thank y'all! I'll have to look into that 4-port Gomadic thingamajic, which I could use for my reader, phone and Nintendo DS.

The numerous different Sony reader tips confuse me though. Are they really any different, because while PRS-700, 500 and 505 are available, there seems to be no dedicated PRS-300 one.

I'm gonna have to wait for my next paycheck anyway, I'll have to ponder the Gomadic/PSP choice for the time being.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:27 PM   #10
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
interesting on the 505 and the 600 I just use a psp charger and was giuven to understand the 300 and the 700 were the same.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:57 PM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'm pretty sure all the Sony Readers will charge correctly with a PSP charger. I have a 505 and my husband has a 700. They both work with the PSP chargers. And I've read posts here from folks who have used the PSP chargers on the 600's and 300's.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #12
sepinho

I've decided that I'll just get a third-party PSP charger, which is the cheapest option by far. I couldn't possibly explain to my wife why I would have to buy a whole PSP just to use its charger for my PRS-300.

My Nintendo DS hasn't seen much action since I've bought the reader, and yet another mobile gadget would've been hard to justify.

Thank you again for your quick and helpful advice!
Old 10-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #13
traderghost
traderghost began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Yep, PSP charger is the best way to go. No fuss charging and fast too. From the time when I get a "low batt" warning to a full charge, it only takes 2 hours exactly (for a PRS-600).
traderghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #14
Johnny Rambo
Johnny Rambo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
Yep, charging the battery fixed it for me too...

I had exactly the same problem this morning. My PRS 300 froze with a supposedly 3/4 full battery. Reset didn't work and I was left scratching my head until Google pointed me in the direction of this wonderful discussion thread. I followed Seventh Son's advice and hey presto, the Sony Reader is back in business.
Johnny Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #15
nachtmuzic
nachtmuzic began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs300
Same frozen screen issue

Well, I seem to have joined the ranks of the frozen screen issues. Although I thought I had a full charge since I charged the thing day before yesterday and did not use it yesterday at all. So today I opened a book I had DL from Google Public Domain called Public Enemies, and it just so happens to be the only PDF on my system. All the rest are Epub books. Well three pages into it, the book displays a detailed image, I tried to zoom in, and Voila! Frozen. Reader won't do a thing. Batt is fully charged supposedly.

So i tried the steps as listed on the sony page, I got the yellow light to flash once, but not actually stay on. I really don't think that "reset" button does a darn thing actually. Is it a placebo?

So now I am plugging back into the PC, and the indicator light is red, everything is still frozen, and the my PC won't recognize anything is attached. I'll leave it like this for a few hours, see what happens. I'll be back.
nachtmuzic is offline   Reply With Quote