Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
tech_coder
tech_coder began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Help: Unable to open PDF in KindlePDFViewer

Hi
I own a Kindle DXG and recently did a jailbreak so i could use KindlePDFViewer for reading PDF files. I did the install according to the process mentioned in the link https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157047

A few days back the device discharged and was showing blurry symbols. Thereafter the screen went blank, which I take as the battery being completely empty. I recharged it overnight and since the next morning the KindlePDFViewer has stopped working. When I press <Shift+P+D>, I see the message <Success> at the bottom of the screen, but I am unable to see the File explorer. Can anybody help me with this? Should I uninstall everything and reinstall it?
Thanks
tech_coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Does a file "crash.log" exist in the kindlepdfviewer folder? If so, what does it contain?

It might be that the system crash left the filesystem in a state where some files cannot be read (correctly) anymore.

You tried a full system restart (not a factory reset), right?

For a start, you could try to copy over kindlepdfviewer files (or the ZIP, and install it using shift-shift-I). Launchpad seems to be working, that's a good start.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
tech_coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Does a file "crash.log" exist in the kindlepdfviewer folder? If so, what does it contain?

It might be that the system crash left the filesystem in a state where some files cannot be read (correctly) anymore.

You tried a full system restart (not a factory reset), right?

For a start, you could try to copy over kindlepdfviewer files (or the ZIP, and install it using shift-shift-I). Launchpad seems to be working, that's a good start.
Thanks for such a quick reply!
The "crash.log" says:
lua config error: ./settings.lua:39: attempt to index local 'stored' (a nil value)

I tried reinstalling kindlepdfviewer as you suggested, but when I press [Shift+P+D], it just displays the message "Success" and then stops at that.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's caused by a broken ".kpdfview.lua" file in the "history" folder. When it happens for a directory-mode start, that would be the "main" file, which should be named ".reader.kpdfview.lua". Try to locate that file and just delete it.

PS: Ah, sorry, that's probably "settings.reader.kpdfview.lua", I think.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
tech_coder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
That's caused by a broken ".kpdfview.lua" file in the "history" folder. When it happens for a directory-mode start, that would be the "main" file, which should be named ".reader.kpdfview.lua". Try to locate that file and just delete it.

PS: Ah, sorry, that's probably "settings.reader.kpdfview.lua", I think.
Thanks a lot!
I think it was a file "settings.reader" in the kindlepdfviewer folder. Although it was empty, deleting it worked and brought the explorer up.
This reading app is really nice and takes a lot of pain out of trying to read PDF files on a Kindle DX/DXG
Advert
Old 11-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
hawhill
Wizard

Nice to hear, and glad it worked out. Yep, that's the correct name. Couldn't check here. The problem was indeed that it _was_ empty - if it exists, it is supposed to contain the settings. Have fun with the software. It's always a pleasure to hear about people making good use of things one (nah, in fact, there were other people adding major parts) did for fun in spare time.

Tags
kindle dx, kindlepdfviewer, troubleshoot