Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-22-2013, 07:11 PM   #61
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
From Amazon's Book Description for Ender's Game:

The "Buggers" are an invasive insectoid alien species that threaten the survival of humanity. If anyone but Orson Scott Card had christened them with that name, I probably wouldn't think anything about it, but coming from him, it just sounds like a cruel joke from a cold heart.

If this wins, I won't be reading it.
Oh my gosh! I read Ender's Game a while a back and that had never occurred to me. I just took “bugger” as appropriate nickname for a hated “insectoid alien species.” Of course that was before I knew anything about Card or his views.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #62
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
From Amazon's Book Description for Ender's Game:

The "Buggers" are an invasive insectoid alien species that threaten the survival of humanity. If anyone but Orson Scott Card had christened them with that name, I probably wouldn't think anything about it, but coming from him, it just sounds like a cruel joke from a cold heart.

Well if you want to look at it that way, the fact that the insectoids set up a base in the asteroid "Eros" must be the icing on the cake.

Don't religious groups often refer to homosexuality as the sin of 'eros'? Additionally, isn't eros also a reference of a particular form of homosexual relationship between an older and younger male in ancient Greece?

In any case, it's been a long time since I've read the novel, but by the end of the book I don't remember the sympathies of the author being so clear cut. Could be a false memory.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #63
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:

Me neither.

Now back to Fanny and Stella...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #64
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'll give Ender's Game a shot if it wins, even though it's not my thing anyway. But I'll borrow the pbook from the library.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #65
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Oh my gosh! I read Ender's Game a while a back and that had never occurred to me. I just took “bugger” as appropriate nickname for a hated “insectoid alien species.” Of course that was before I knew anything about Card or his views.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Me neither.

Now back to Fanny and Stella...
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'll give Ender's Game a shot if it wins, even though it's not my thing anyway. But I'll borrow the pbook from the library.
Is this a cultural thing or what is it? I'll have to do some research on the book and his writer I guess.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #66
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
...Don't religious groups often refer to homosexuality as the sin of 'eros'? Additionally, isn't eros also a reference of a particular form of homosexual relationship between an older and younger male in ancient Greece?....
I've never heard any Christian who considers eros itself a sin. Eros is simply sexual love. I have heard Christians who speak of the perversion of eros, of which in traditional Christian morality homosexual acts would be an example along with premartial sex, extramartial sex, masturbation, and various other forms of sex. And while it was certainly not uncommon in ancient Greece or Rome for an older man to have a younger male lover, eros wasn't necessarily a reference to it.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #67
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Is this a cultural thing or what is it? I'll have to do some research on the book and his writer I guess.
You just need to have a look at his wiki page to see his views on homosexuality - hence his choice of the name "Buggers" for the evil aliens. I have no time for such narrow-mindedness.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #68
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Thanks Orlok. I'll have a look and educate myself.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #69
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Well reading his wiki did nothing for me because I didn't know what bugger meant in a derogatory sense. I've never heard that before.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #70
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
Well reading his wiki did nothing for me because I didn't know what bugger meant in a derogatory sense. I've never heard that before.
"buggery" = slang for anal sex.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #71
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Yeah I Googled it all when wiki didn't help.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #72
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
I think it's more than slang. As I recall, it is a specific legal term for anal sex.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #73
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I think it's more than slang. As I recall, it is a specific legal term for anal sex.
Yes, going back to the Buggery Act of 1533.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #74
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yes, going back to the Buggery Act of 1533.
Interesting and thanks for the education on the term's history.

So how about the new to me and British use of the word "punter?" What an American thinks of when someone says punter.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #75
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
"Punter" in British terms probably brings one meaning to mind immediately. A "punter" is a gambler, as in the phrase, "I'll have a punt on that", meaning, "I'll bet on that".

There's also punting as in pushing a boat (specificalky a punt) along with a long pole, but you would have to had attended an Oxbridge college to know that
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote