Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Google follows Apple's iTune Store - I hope it pick up more sales

Instead of having multiple sites for Googles apps, books and music, Google have announced Google Play. A sensible solution to their jumble sale of different sites. But will the iTunes look-alike generate more ebook sales?

For every book I sell through Google I sell 100 each in iTunes and Amazon.

Announcement
Spoiler:
Dear Partner,

Today we introduced Google Play, a new digital content destination available on mobile devices and on the web. With Google Play, users can buy and experience books, music, movies and Android apps, available across their devices. Google Play gives our partners and the ecosystem an integrated entertainment hub for Android and Google users. As part of this launch, Google eBooks and Android Market will become part of Google Play, and users will now get their ebooks from Google Play.

In addition, customers who go to the web ebookstore will be redirected to the Google Play store. While this doesn't change the way consumers read Google eBooks, it does provide a more compelling mobile purchase experience.

We are excited about the opportunities ahead to "play" together.

Google Play team

Helpful Resources:
Google Play overview - http://play.google.com/about Google Play brand assets - http://www.android.com/branding.html
FAQs - http://support.google.com/books/part...answer=2494942

----
You have received this mandatory email service announcement to update you about important changes to your Google Books account.

© 2012 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #2
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
What is the format behind Google Play books and has it changed? Can you ever actually download the files that you buy, or just see them in the reader app?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
What is the format behind Google Play books and has it changed? Can you ever actually download the files that you buy, or just see them in the reader app?
I don't know if it's the same for all books, but for the free books included with my account (Frankenstein, Pride & Prejudice, Wonderful Stories for Children) I can download either an ePub or a PDF.

To download the file(s), click the title in your library on Google Play, then click on the "How to Read" tab and scroll to the bottom.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Molen View Post
I don't know if it's the same for all books, but for the free books included with my account (Frankenstein, Pride & Prejudice, Wonderful Stories for Children) I can download either an ePub or a PDF.

To download the file(s), click the title in your library on Google Play, then click on the "How to Read" tab and scroll to the bottom.
Yes, but can you simply download the file independent of viewing in the reader?
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
camiller
Addict
camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
In theory yes. In reality, and perhaps with the re-writing of the site, at the moment I can't seem to download the entirety of a purchased book, only a "sample". I can read the whole thing online though and it was yesterdays "play of the day" for $0.25 so I'm not out much. Hopefully it is a bug and will get fixed.

Edit: I notice that if I go to the old version of Google Books at books.google.com I can in fact download the full version of the book I purchased at play.google.com/books

Last edited by camiller; 03-07-2012 at 04:51 PM.
camiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Instead of having multiple sites for Googles apps, books and music, Google have announced Google Play. A sensible solution to their jumble sale of different sites. But will the iTunes look-alike generate more ebook sales?

Google has been making their reader better and better but still needs a way to go.

For Google to really make a dent it needs to have promotions. I have never bought a google book before today because their price has always been the same or higher than Amazon. With all of their "Play" specials I've finally purchased a book.

Quote:
Yes you can download the ePUB or PDF of a book.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #7
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Is there an easy way for indie authors to upload their book for sale? The Google eBooks old interface was labyrinthine to me, and seemed to balk when I tried to upload an ePub directly without giving them a PDF version first.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Quote:
Yes, isn't that what I said? Granted, I haven't actually done it, but if you follow my instructions you can test it for yourself with one of the free books that should already be in your account.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Yes, absolutely.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
OddCosine
Connoisseur
OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OddCosine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
In theory yes. In reality, and perhaps with the re-writing of the site, at the moment I can't seem to download the entirety of a purchased book, only a "sample". I can read the whole thing online though and it was yesterdays "play of the day" for $0.25 so I'm not out much. Hopefully it is a bug and will get fixed.
I had the same problem trying to download an EPUB last night and sent them a support query. They acknowledged it was a bug and offered this workaround:

1. Under "How to Read," navigate to "Download EPUB" or "Download PDF"
2. Right click on the icon, and select "Copy Link Address"
3. Open a new tab and pate the Link Address
4. Before hitting "Return" to prompt the book to download and open, remove "&dl_type=sample" from the URL
5. Now hit "Return" to open the file

It works; I'd actually figured that out about 5 minutes after I'd sent the query. Looks like the problem is still there.

Way to launch a new service huh?
OddCosine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #11
camiller
Addict
camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Quote:
Originally Posted by OddCosine View Post
I had the same problem trying to download an EPUB last night and sent them a support query. They acknowledged it was a bug and offered this workaround:

4. Before hitting "Return" to prompt the book to download and open, remove "&dl_type=sample" from the URL

It works; I'd actually figured that out about 5 minutes after I'd sent the query. Looks like the problem is still there.
Yep that worked. I have to admit I'm surprised, since "sample" is in the download link twice, once as a parameter and once in the actual file name. But you only have to delete the parameter for it to work.

Quote:
Indeed
camiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:41 AM   #12
MrTeatime
Connoisseur
MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrTeatime ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Bought a couple of eBooks last night (after figuring out the workaround for myself - quite an amazing "oversight", there!). I'm very impressed with their UK prices, so far: I've made a few spot checks, and haven't found a UK ePub seller to beat them, yet.

Edit:

Although with a decent discount code, Kobo will often beat them.

Last edited by MrTeatime; 03-08-2012 at 05:03 AM.
MrTeatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
MoodRing
MoodRing
MoodRing began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post

Announcement
Spoiler:
Dear Partner,

Today we introduced Google Play, a new digital content destination available on mobile devices and on the web. With Google Play, users can buy and experience books, music, movies and Android apps, available across their devices. Google Play gives our partners and the ecosystem an integrated entertainment hub for Android and Google users. As part of this launch, Google eBooks and Android Market will become part of Google Play, and users will now get their ebooks from Google Play.

In addition, customers who go to the web ebookstore will be redirected to the Google Play store. While this doesn't change the way consumers read Google eBooks, it does provide a more compelling mobile purchase experience.

We are excited about the opportunities ahead to "play" together.

Google Play team

Helpful Resources:
Google Play overview - http://play.google.com/about Google Play brand assets - http://www.android.com/branding.html
FAQs - http://support.google.com/books/part...answer=2494942

----
You have received this mandatory email service announcement to update you about important changes to your Google Books account.

© 2012 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA
I am a little confused with how you are generating more sales off amazon and Itunes then? I really enjoy using Itunes software, I think it is designed well compared to google's messy, approach. But I have learnt some new software techniques in this training day. Im trying to design my own site to feed off rss feed from gadget sites.

This site is inciteful for the google vs Itunes debate.

Last edited by MoodRing; 03-14-2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: wrong information
MoodRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:53 PM   #14
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTeatime View Post
Bought a couple of eBooks last night (after figuring out the workaround for myself - quite an amazing "oversight", there!). I'm very impressed with their UK prices, so far: I've made a few spot checks, and haven't found a UK ePub seller to beat them, yet.

Edit:

Although with a decent discount code, Kobo will often beat them.
Whereas their Australian prices are horrible, still. Saw some books there that were 20 and 30 when they are 10 on Amazon.

Also, no music or movies and their search and browsing is horrible. So what it will probably do here is get people downloading more apps when they come across it from a link in google.

Pretty ham handed, too, find a google play music link in search by accident and you get the equivalent of a 404 when it is not available in your country.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire w/Aldiko
Quote:

Thanks for the workaround. Karma sent!
calibrated is offline   Reply With Quote