Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
Red Stapler
Curmudgeon
Red Stapler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Kindle 3 vs. Kindle 2 for PDF's and browsing?

On the whole, I've been very happy with my Kindle 2, and I'm glad Amazon added the PDF reading capacity with the latest firmware update. That said, I was in a Best Buy yesterday and saw a Kindle 3 on display, and I was surprised at the difference in the display. Problem was, it was running some kind of demo program, so I couldn't really do much more than watch it run, but between the display and the somewhat nicer controls, I'm awfully tempted.

My questions for those who have owned both the K2 and K3 are:

Is the PDF reader any better/easier? The K2 doesn't exactly suck, but easier panning and zooming would be welcome.

Is the browser any faster/better? It's not a priority since I didn't get the thing to surf, but I do use it for simple web tasks like getting weather updates, movie times, news headlines.

Thanks in advance.
Red Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
My advice would be to try a Kindle DX for PDFs. I'm near Richmond Indiana if you would like to take a look at mine some time.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
I´m working in the a review about reading PDF files in K3 for the spanish web lectoreselectronicos.com and I may say the visualization and overall handling of PDF files, including A4, it is MUCH better in the K3,than in the K2.

Last edited by thebestjeter; 10-03-2010 at 06:19 PM.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjeter View Post
I´m working in the a review about reading PDF files in K3 for the spanish web lectoreselectronicos.com and I may say the visualization and overall handling of PDF files, including A4, it is MUCH better in the K3,than in the K2.
I would agree that the K3 screen is better than K2, and the contrast adjustment is useful. It seems to be a little more responsive as well, but the panning/zooming feature itself works exactly the same, so it probably doesn't fit the definition of 'easier'. The annotation/highlighting is nice to have, though it would be nicer if these were saved in the PDF itself rather than in the sidecar file and My Clippings. But I doubt the improved PDF alone is enough to justify an upgrade to K3.

That said, I'm using my K3 for PDF much much more than I did the K2. Part of that is due to having discovered how much better PDF reading on a 6" screen is if you take a couple of minutes to crop the margins/headers/footers first. But the new features definitely improve the PDF experience some also.

Aside from the relatively modest improvements to PDF functionality, there are a number of other feature enhancements that made it a must for me, not the least of which was the price point of the wifi only model.

The DX shares the K3's improved screen technology, and you would not need to pan/zoom nearly as much even with uncropped PDFs (if at all) so it is worth considering if PDF is important. But don't assume that Amazon will be providing an update to bring its PDF capabilities to parity with K3. For me it is too large for on the go pleasure reading, and too expensive: I'd rather spend a little more for an iPad, which by all accounts, is a great PDF reader. Or wait for a good Android tablet.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
IntegrityWolf
^_^
IntegrityWolf began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Touch (Wi-Fi)
My brother has a K2, while I have a K3.

I have spent time with his before I got my K3 and he has a lot of PDFs loaded. When I got my K3, I loaded my PDFs and I noticed that it really does handle PDFs a lot more nicely and faster.
IntegrityWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 11:57 PM   #6
Red Stapler
Curmudgeon
Red Stapler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Conallmac, I actually work in Richmond, email is in my profile if you want to meet somewhere and show me the DX. I can bring my K2 and compare the contrast as well. I've resisted the DX because of the higher price and the lack of page buttons on the left, but I'm not totally closed to the idea. As tomsem pointed out, the bigger size is a consideration for me as well.

It does sound like the K3 does a little better for PDF's, but maybe not enough to justify upgrading on that point alone. But the better screen and wi-fi capability might be worth it themselves. Plus a K3 3G/Wi-Fi with case is still less than I paid for the K2 alone.
Red Stapler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:36 AM   #7
AthenaAtDelphi
"Gnothi Seauton"
AthenaAtDelphi doesn't litterAthenaAtDelphi doesn't litter

Device: Asus Eee 1000H, BeBook Mini, Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

I'd rather spend a little more for an iPad, which by all accounts, is a great PDF reader.
I wouldn't do that if I were you.

The iPad is neither a good ereader:
- way too heavy;
- too expensive;
- and the biggest problem: the glossy glass screen really is a PitA; you have to avoid every reflection (outdoors and indoors) of all possible light sources: the sun, artificial light sources, windows, etc. .

Nor is it a good tablet PC:
- it's not multi-tasking;
- no USB-ports;
- no SD-card reader;
- too heavy;
- the glossy screen;

Last edited by AthenaAtDelphi; 10-04-2010 at 12:41 AM.
AthenaAtDelphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:35 AM   #8
julian1982
julian1982 began at the beginning.

Device: none
kindle 3 is better, much better the ipad is beautiful and nothing more but not being a girl this is not a real value. it is better to read in my pc than in ipad, i tried some minutes and got my eyes tired. For pdf the K3 is better lets hope that te K76 will be like real paper
julian1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:00 AM   #9
SamuraiXSendai
Addict
SamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheeseSamuraiXSendai can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1. Kindle 2. IPAD. KDXG. Kindle 3.Fire
Ipad is definitely hard to use in the sun. I just crank up the brightness and it's useable. However I think its a great PDF reader. I have ported all my user manuals to it. You can just email them to yourself and open them in your chosen application. I use Goodreader. I am no Apple fanboy - i have four Kindles.
SamuraiXSendai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:31 AM   #10
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stapler View Post
Conallmac, I actually work in Richmond, email is in my profile if you want to meet somewhere and show me the DX. I can bring my K2 and compare the contrast as well. I've resisted the DX because of the higher price and the lack of page buttons on the left, but I'm not totally closed to the idea. As tomsem pointed out, the bigger size is a consideration for me as well.

It does sound like the K3 does a little better for PDF's, but maybe not enough to justify upgrading on that point alone. But the better screen and wi-fi capability might be worth it themselves. Plus a K3 3G/Wi-Fi with case is still less than I paid for the K2 alone.
I have a Kindle 3, and I've used a Kindle 2 as well. The above 3 points that you've mentioned:
1. Better PDF
2. Addition of Wi-Fi
3. Better screen

All these combined still imo are not a big enough upgrade from the Kindle 2 Global.
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote