Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #16576
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I'm reading Sail by James Patterson (well, Dernière escale, the French translation). I'm about 30% through it and I'm far from impressed The story is nice (not a page turner, but nice nonetheless), but the style is kind of poor. Oh and for the very first time I've stumbled on a badly formatted ebook, which doesn't help.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #16577
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
I'm reading Sail by James Patterson (well, Dernière escale, the French translation). I'm about 30% through it and I'm far from impressed The story is nice (not a page turner, but nice nonetheless), but the style is kind of poor. Oh and for the very first time I've stumbled on a badly formatted ebook, which doesn't help.
I agree. This is one of the Patterson collaborations that finally convinced me to give up on his books. Nothing intrinsically wrong with it, but there are so many better books out there, why waste my time on mediocre?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #16578
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Judas Pair by Jonathan Gash, a recent purchase.

I'd forgotten how casually violent Lovejoy is depicted as being in the first scene. It doesn't really match his later actions.
However, that niggle aside, this was an excellent read, so long as you like little asides about antiques.

I shall save the others for later. For now, on to Enchanter Reborn by L. Sprague de Camp and Christopher Stasheff.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #16579
maggietoussaint
Author and Reader
maggietoussaint began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm reading Terry Odell's Rooted in Danger. It's a fast-paced blend of mystery and suspense. I'm reading it on Kindle, but its available on all platforms.
maggietoussaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #16580
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I agree. This is one of the Patterson collaborations that finally convinced me to give up on his books. Nothing intrinsically wrong with it, but there are so many better books out there, why waste my time on mediocre?
Good to know it's not only me I'm reading it quite fast because I want to be done with it. Seems like I'll be following up with The Great Gatsby to get some balance.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #16581
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
2/3 of the way through Jeffery Deaver's "XO," and it's just not up to the usual Deaver standards. For most of his work I just can't stop reading. This one... a chapter at at time is more than enough. Not bad. Just not grabbing me.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #16582
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am reading Keane's Company by Iain Gale. It is a historical Fiction that I picked up from Amazon UK since the eBook seems to not be available in the US.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:53 AM   #16583
samhy
Wizard

Quote:
Quote:
Good to know it's not only me I'm reading it quite fast because I want to be done with it. Seems like I'll be following up with The Great Gatsby to get some balance.
I've reached the last page of Sail! It never got better in my opinion, but I see that as a good opportunity to enjoy the next book. So now The Great Gatsby it is!
Old 05-17-2013, 06:04 AM   #16584
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Now I've launched into A Dark-Adapted Eye by Barbara Vine. About 20% in and this is the usual slow burn Vine book.
Ah - the satisfying feeling of finishing another Barbara Vine book. I've never been that big on Crime/Mysteries but Vine's mysteries are quite different. They do quite often focus on a crime somewhere, but that's only ever part of the story.

She might lead with the news of a crime and even the perpetrator, but you spend the book wondering why, and in what context the crime was committed. Then comes the slow unwrapping of the gift.

Just my type of book.

I've also devoured Barry Eisler's A Clean Kill in Tokyo (originally released as Rain Fall). This one was mainly digested via audiobook, but I transferred back and forth between audio and ereading (love that Whispersync for voice).

It was a good story - fun, had a good pace and plenty of action. But it also had its issues for me. Excessive use of terminology and Japanese. Some of it made sense, but I tired of the judo terminology during the fight scenes. Also, there seemed to be rather big logic issues with the character, with his background in Japan and his perceptions of his anonymity, with the ability for him to hide other people but not himself. The author was doing some filtering of details that got in his way so he could herd the character along the story he wanted to tell.

But overall I enjoyed the story. Thrillers like this are hopefully fun - and this one certainly was.

Now I'm going to read another indie. This one is Cansville by Alan Flurry. This one seems to have a more literary style I think with less action, but hopefully no less enjoyment.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #16585
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
................ Also, there seemed to be rather big logic issues with the character, with his background in Japan and his perceptions of his anonymity, with the ability for him to hide other people but not himself.
Any foreigner who think that he/she has ANYTHING resembling anonymity in Japan is deluded themselves. Within 24 hours of moving into a building, every shop keeper, street vendor, housewife, garbage man, police man, and even the taxi drivers, within a 3km+ radius know exactly where you live, where you work and what you do. There have been many times when I've been trying to get home from somewhere relatively local, by taking a different bus and looking at the route map, that some stranger will come up to me and say 'Excuse me, but if you're trying to get home, you need to take the #XYZ bus from #ABC station.' I long ago gave up being surprised...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #16586
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Any foreigner who think that he/she has ANYTHING resembling anonymity in Japan is deluded themselves. Within 24 hours of moving into a building, every shop keeper, street vendor, housewife, garbage man, police man, and even the taxi drivers, within a 3km+ radius know exactly where you live, where you work and what you do. There have been many times when I've been trying to get home from somewhere relatively local, by taking a different bus and looking at the route map, that some stranger will come up to me and say 'Excuse me, but if you're trying to get home, you need to take the #XYZ bus from #ABC station.' I long ago gave up being surprised...

Stitchawl
Wow! The book does touch on that a bit, but this guy was meant to have had plastic surgery and he was already half Japanese favouring the Asian side of his parentage. He also had false identification. However, given that he seemed to continue to go by the same name he had before he tried to lose himself in Tokyo, I couldn't really follow the logic.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #16587
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I am reading Keane's Company by Iain Gale. It is a historical Fiction that I picked up from Amazon UK since the eBook seems to not be available in the US.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Apache
That looks interesting. How does it compare to the Sharpe novels?
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #16588
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
It is a good read so far, but I am only a short way in. So far I think the Sharpe books are better, but this one is good too.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #16589
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelArnold View Post
I recently read my first Chandler - The Long Goodbye - and love his prose style. The Big Sleep is certainly on my TBR list!
I have finished The Big Sleep and yes it was good. Well worth the read.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #16590
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I just finished reading The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde. An outstanding play; clever, humorous and delightful!
You should read the sequel, The Importance of being Ernest P. Worrell
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote