Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #496
Kurt
Connoisseur
Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kurt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Nook HD+, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
strangely, today the site remembers my library number and password
i've always had to have my library card handy to type in the number and of course my password - even though i have the box checked to remember me on this device

but of course something else has gone wrong - all but one of my borrowed books in digital editions now has a time limit of one week, including those just borrowed today
the one other now says 8 hours even though yesterday i had over a week
fortunately there is calibre or all the "painful" and slow searching for these titles would have been for naught
or take the next week off from work and do nothing but read - hmmm
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #497
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
And, I still would ask to add the ability to switch between classic view and redesigned view, to see all formats in all browsers, independently from the device used to browse at that particular moment, and the ability to actually see the complete TITLE of a book and the author's complete name.
Can you change the user agent on the iPad browser? If you use your Nexus 7 you can do that with most browsers or the Chrome browser lets you check "request desktop site" from the menu. If you do that you should see all formats.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #498
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
Can you change the user agent on the iPad browser? If you use your Nexus 7 you can do that with most browsers or the Chrome browser lets you check "request desktop site" from the menu. If you do that you should see all formats.
Yes, depending on the browser I use, but Overdrive places cookies that redirect you to always the same view, if you even once went to the mobile site, (even on a laptop), and I don't have any appetite to delete all my cookies every time I use Overdrive. They should just add a link at the bottom of the page, like any other good site does : View full site/View mobile site. For now, I am forced to use different browsers.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #499
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Yes, depending on the browser I use, but Overdrive places cookies that redirect you to always the same view, if you even once went to the mobile site, (even on a laptop), and I don't have any appetite to delete all my cookies every time I use Overdrive. They should just add a link at the bottom of the page, like any other good site does : View full site/View mobile site. For now, I am forced to use different browsers.
Yes, that would be very helpful. A while back I lost all my web bookmarks on my Sony reader and had to find the library all over again. For some unknown reason I kept ending up on the full site, which does not work on the Sony reader. I had to go back through this thread to find the numbers to change in the URL to get to the mobile site.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:10 AM   #500
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just switched back and forth from mobile and desktop in the Chrome browser on my Nexus 7. I have accept cookies checked in settings. I saw a book when I was on desktop that was only wma and did a search and it showed up on desktop, but not on mobile. The book title is The Christie Caper.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #501
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ since the functionality varies by bowser and device used, they need to just add those links at the bottom of the site.

What you mentioned is another one of my request to them : let users see all formats in all views (mobile/desktop). Until about a month ago, I had no idea I was not seeing two thirds of all audiobooks that my four libraries offer, because I use my iPad for web browsing and Overdrive determined that I shall not see WMAs, then! In a day and age when users own more than one device capable of browsing, the decision to hide formats on one device but not on another makes no sense.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #502
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Yes, that would be very helpful. A while back I lost all my web bookmarks on my Sony reader and had to find the library all over again. For some unknown reason I kept ending up on the full site, which does not work on the Sony reader. I had to go back through this thread to find the numbers to change in the URL to get to the mobile site.
I hear ya. When I was trying to set up the links on the Odyssey I bought (and later returned), I had real issues typing in a super long mobile URL for every library, because the Odyssey does not have a cursor, so if you mistype a single character, you have to start over, or click "delete" for a very long time. It was beyond frustrating.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #503
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
In a day and age when users own more than one device capable of browsing, the decision to hide formats on one device but not on another makes no sense.
I agree - I noticed you had Nexus 7 listed and wanted to let you know an alternate way. With all the other problems the site has, fixing this is probably at the bottom of their list.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #504
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I agree - I noticed you had Nexus 7 listed and wanted to let you know an alternate way. With all the other problems the site has, fixing this is probably at the bottom of their list.
Thank you! I now have a different system: I browse the sites from my Win 8 tablet, but have the iPad next to it - so I log in from both at the same time. I could also use two different browsers next to each other on the Win tablet, I guess.

I just wish Overdrive would make their site more accessible in general... Sigh...
Old 02-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #505
icedtea
elibrary love
icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, RIP Mini
Oh no, my libraries have changed over. I log in to check out a hold and there it was. Been reading this thread but hoped I wouldn't need to post here.

Dear overdrive:
In wishlist view: please add page number navigation links to the bottom of the page as well (currently only at the top, makes you scroll up again.)

Please add a wishlist sort function by author. Now that only 80 of the most recent additions to wishlist is shown at at time, this makes it even harder to find wishlist books by the same author across multiple pages.

Yep, agree on that book icon in the corner of the cover - pretty invisible on my screen, the darker grey that denotes availability to check out is okay though.

I don't mind the visual nature of using the book covers to navigate, but cutting off author names and titles as others have noted is a PITA.
icedtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #506
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
[QUOTE=4691mls;2417076]So far they have not changed the mobile site design, and I hope they don't. /QUOTE]

Ack

Until this morning I got the old format on my mobile android devices, so I could browse and check out on them, then go download on my PC with the new crappy interface.

Today I get the new style on my nexus 7 and little android phone as well.

Last edited by soondai; 02-12-2013 at 11:31 AM.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #507
xendula
eBookworm

[QUOTE=soondai;2421290]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
So far they have not changed the mobile site design, and I hope they don't. /QUOTE]

Ack

Until this morning I got the old format on my mobile android devices, so I could browse and check out on them, then go download on my PC with the new crappy interface.

Today I get the new style on my nexus 7 and little android phone as well.
Oh noooo! I'm afraid to even look!
Old 02-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #508
Venus
Country girl
Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Venus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many
I hope this isn't too much off topic. My experience with Overdrive today. I checked out an audio book and tried to download it and it listed only one chapter. Because the print on the cover was so small I was unaware of this. So I called Overdrive and explained what happened. The person was not aware which book but told me to contact my library. I had already gone there and asked if he could help. He then suggested that I get online help. I suggested that since he was on the phone with me already that I would appreciate help now. He was very resistant and kept going over the other options for help but I finally asked if he was going to help me or not. He then informed me that this was an epilogue audio book with only one chapter. Ok, not a problem, though surprised. I then asked if he could remove it and I gave him my card number and email. He then told me that he noticed that I had this out on another account too. I never got to that one. But here is the problem. I gave him one card number and one email. Does that mean that this phone person has access to all my library accounts and my other residences? Are all Overdrive accounts linked? Does the phone person have access to all my reading no matter what account? Wow and I was worried about Google. Overdrive would probably be better at profiling me than Google. Bear in mind that I that I am not feeling well and watched “The Following” last night and am still in a state of terror. So feel free to make fun but please use a little restraint.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #509
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
[QUOTE=xendula;2421450]
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post

Oh noooo! I'm afraid to even look!
I'll have to look tonight. The time I accidentally got the PC site on my Sony reader I couldn't use it - was not even able to log in.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #510
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
I hope this isn't too much off topic. My experience with Overdrive today. I checked out an audio book and tried to download it and it listed only one chapter. Because the print on the cover was so small I was unaware of this. So I called Overdrive and explained what happened. The person was not aware which book but told me to contact my library. I had already gone there and asked if he could help. He then suggested that I get online help. I suggested that since he was on the phone with me already that I would appreciate help now. He was very resistant and kept going over the other options for help but I finally asked if he was going to help me or not. He then informed me that this was an epilogue audio book with only one chapter. Ok, not a problem, though surprised. I then asked if he could remove it and I gave him my card number and email. He then told me that he noticed that I had this out on another account too. I never got to that one. But here is the problem. I gave him one card number and one email. Does that mean that this phone person has access to all my library accounts and my other residences? Are all Overdrive accounts linked? Does the phone person have access to all my reading no matter what account? Wow and I was worried about Google. Overdrive would probably be better at profiling me than Google. Bear in mind that I that I am not feeling well and watched “The Following” last night and am still in a state of terror. So feel free to make fun but please use a little restraint.
I'm speculating here - the common denominator would be your email address. Your ADE account is probably registered under your email address, and perhaps he had access to view the ADE account the Overdrive file was downloaded with.

Edit: I just realized you were downloading an audiobook. That blows my theory out of the water.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote