Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
Jelbee
Jelbee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Mac OSX: Idiot-Proof Font Scaling Fix [Step-by-step]

The Laymans-Terms "I'm Somewhat Computer Savvy" Idiot-Proof Guide to Fixing the Font Size Issue ON A MAC

I "toughed it out" for about 15 minutes of reading an unchangeable font size that was smaller than Kobo's "smallest" and I quit very quickly.
I'm computer savvy-ish, but it took me a fair bit of reading to really understand the process, as.. when explaining things, people often take a lot of knowledge for granted-- assume that other people must understand the things that seem simple to them.

So here's my idiot-proof instructions for anyone who's a bit confused by the other threads/posts... let me know if anything isn't painfully clear, and I'll simplify more!

Step 1:
Download "ePub Zip for Mac OSX"

Step 2:
Find your .epub file on your mac, the one you want to correct the font size issue on. Click on the file and press "enter" and change the ".epub" extension to ".zip." OSX will ask if you want to use .epub or .zip. Click ".zip."

Step 3:
Right-click (secondary click) on the file and "open with" decompression software, such as "StuffIt Expander". This will unpack or "explode" the zip file into a folder with the contents of the epub enclosed.

Step 4:
Go into the folder and find the CSS file. It will likely be called "stylesheet.css." Right-click on this file and "open with" texteditor, or another basic text editting program. Scroll down through the file and anywhere that it says "font size" simply delete that one line.
[Note: If it says "font style," leave it alone. It's merely specifying bold, or italics, and it would be a shame to delete these, and not have chapter headings be bolded.]

Step 5:
Now that the font sizing specifications are gone, save the file. File, save. [Not "save as," save it to overwrite the file you just edited.] In the finder window, back out so you can see the initial folder that the unpacked zip file made.

Step 6:
Open a finder window and locate the program you downloaded earlier, Epub Zip. There's no need to attempt to "open" the program, it's a drag and drop process.

Step 7:
With both finder windows open, click on the folder you were editting the CSS in before, and drag it over to the Epub Zip program, and drop it directly over the program name/icon. Where your folder was before, an .Epub file will appear. This is your fixed ebook. Load it to your Kobo, and your font size issue should be fixed!

Last edited by Jelbee; 06-11-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Jelbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
smzsmz
smzsmz began at the beginning.

great tutorial. everything worked perfectly!
smzsmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
Jelbee
Jelbee began at the beginning.

Glad it helped.
Jelbee is offline   Reply With Quote