Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-29-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
manacap
manacap began at the beginning.

Device: DR800SG
New Leather Cover for IREX DR800SG

I found this leather case on http://www.allfreeship.com/shopexd.asp?id=2903 . I'm little concerned about the site, although I could not find any negative information from BBB Online, or other sites. The leather case looks very nice and does not cover up the key controls. The price is good as well, 28.99 USD with free shipping. It is hard to tell if the DR800SG is photoshop'ed into the case or if they had a real eReader. Has anyone tried this out or know anything about it?
manacap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Don't know anything about the company but the method of fitting the unit into the cover looks better than the M-edge - at least you can get to the power switch without cutting a hole it it. The whole thing looks neat - do give us some feedback if you take the plunge and get one.

PS Don't know if it matters but the picture does look a bit fake to me - you'll notice that the bezel of the unit is shown as protruding a bit from the top of the leather piece that holds it in place. On my measurements the top bezel isn't that big.

Last edited by TGS; 04-29-2010 at 12:00 PM.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
PS Don't know if it matters but the picture does look a bit fake to me - you'll notice that the bezel of the unit is shown as protruding a bit from the top of the leather piece that holds it in place. On my measurements the top bezel isn't that big.
It kinda looks like they took a picture of the cover (maybe even with a different device in it), and did an overlay of a mock-up image of a DR800.

This cover looks familiar though, I think there was another thread about it somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is where I saw it before:

http://forum.irexnet.com/viewtopic.php?t=5499&start=15

Discussed briefly in here too:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81037
Old 04-29-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
manacap

The picture of the IREX DR800SG is definitely fake, as it has three rows, and the real eReader has 4 rows of three icons each. Still, that doesn't mean the case is not real.
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by manacap View Post
The picture of the IREX DR800SG is definitely fake, as it has three rows, and the real eReader has 4 rows of three icons each. Still, that doesn't mean the case is not real.
The question I would have is, if they didn't have a real DR800 for the picture, do they have a real DR800 to design the case around? Or did they just take an existing case for another product that was close to the same dimensions, and label it as a "DR800 case".

It may turn out to be fine, but it raises some questions about whether it's specifically tailored for the DR800, or whether it's a generic case that "kind of" fits the DR800. I wonder if that has anything to do with why the spine of it looks so thick.

If you go here:

http://www.allfreeship.com/shopexd.asp?id=2902

It looks to me like this is the same case. The picture with the Cool-er in it looks read. I think they designed the case for the Cool-er and then put a mock-up image of a DR800 on top of the Cool-er picture, and are selling the same case for both devices. How well will a DR800 fit into a case designed for the Cool-er? I don't know the answer to that.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
They actually seem to have four cases all of the same basic design - see here - but with different leather inserts to hold the reader. What is not shown anywhere. for any of the covers, is dimensions - as far as I can see.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:23 AM   #8
An-Jay
An-Jay began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800s
Hi,

I'm digging out this old thread again as I am desperately searching for a nice cover for my new iRex DR800s.

Meanwhile, the case has been sold 13 times on ebay so far:
Click here

I thought chances might be quite high that one of the buyers is also hanging around here

One customer from Spain gave the seller a neutral feedback because the actual case was not the one from the pictures.

If somebody owning the case is around here, maybe he or she could post a real photo of it or make some comment about the quality? Would be really nice...

Last edited by An-Jay; 10-11-2010 at 01:27 AM.
An-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 04:24 PM   #9
manacap

I bought one from allfreeship. It did not have a pen-holder, but I made one with some black duct tape. I love it. It is a tight fit, a very nice holder, fits in the inside pocket of my business coat. Took 3-4 weeks to get, but price was as advertised. Here are the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0627.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	899.4 KB
ID:	59683   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0630.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	446.7 KB
ID:	59684  
Old 10-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #10
An-Jay

Thank you very much for the pictures. Looks indeed nice. I think I will go for that one too.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
TomK
Enthusiast
TomK began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800SG
So in comparing the link from Shaggy, http://www.allfreeship.com/shopexd.asp?id=2903, with the pictures posted by manacap, it looks like the stylus holder is also fake (in addition to the doctored photograph of the device itself). I was not willing to spend the approximately $100 (including shipping) for the IREX-manufactured case, so the $40 is a big improvement, I just don't know about getting one without a stylus holder. Manacap, may I presume you put the duct-tape stylus holder along the spine?
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:03 PM   #12
An-Jay

The lack of a stylus-holder is not a big problem. There is an adhesive pen loop from a German company called Leuchtturm. It costs only around 2,50 Euro here and I also found it on ebay.com.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:37 PM   #13
gat
gat began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR800sg
I'm moderately happy with the one i purchased. Leather is coarser than that pictured on the site. Had to cut the inside retaining leather to allow access to the push bar. The outside retainer is slightly warped. Holds my larger aftermarket pen nicely.
gat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:26 PM   #14
manacap

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
So in comparing the link from Shaggy, http://www.allfreeship.com/shopexd.asp?id=2903, with the pictures posted by manacap, it looks like the stylus holder is also fake (in addition to the doctored photograph of the device itself). I was not willing to spend the approximately $100 (including shipping) for the IREX-manufactured case, so the $40 is a big improvement, I just don't know about getting one without a stylus holder. Manacap, may I presume you put the duct-tape stylus holder along the spine?
Yes, I put my black duct tape pen holder on the spine. There is just enough room for the small pen that comes with the DR800. The picture on the web site is completely photo-shopped. I told the guy that the sides of the screen do not line up since there is almost all screen showing, no plastic, and there are more than 3 lines of icons on the main menu.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:06 AM   #15
An-Jay

Now I'm not sure again if I should order the cover...

I like manacap's one but I don't like the one that gat got looks mediocre. Hard to believe that they sell both as the same cover...

Last edited by An-Jay; 10-20-2010 at 10:43 AM.

Tags
case, cover, dr800sg, leather