Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
What will it take to reach version 1.0.0?

Calibre is currently version 0.6.13.

What's the deal with the leading zero? Surely, you don't consider such a functional and useful program still in "beta", merely because it isn't perfect?

I say the next big update should be 1.0!

frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Traditionally, V1.0 would be when it's complete!

As there's no need to ship a particular set of features, I'd imagine that it will more likely only come if/when Kovid gets bored/too busy and elects to ship a 1.0 before handing over project control to someone else. It's not even into 0.nn.m yet, let alone 0.9n.m :-)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I have to agree with Frabjous.

Personally, I dislike the "mode" of having only 0.x versions. When I make a program/script or whatever, as soon as it reaches the point where it is useful and it does what I want it to do, I call it "version 1". I prefer the natural numbers (with room for some interspersed reals) over the reals in the (0,1) interval
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There are probably going to be one or perhaps two more major 0.x releases. There are some internals in calibre I want to refactor before releasing 1.0

Though I must say that version numbers are largely meaningless for an app that is releases ad often as calibre. They're mostly justa holdover from the bad old days of closed source software. I've often considered going to a date based numbering scheme, but I'm too lazy to make all the changes a new numbering scheme would require.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:06 AM   #5
dpayment
Connoisseur
dpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enough

Device: PocketBook Pro 902, EB-1150, PRS505, PRS700, Jetbook, Hanlin V3, Kobo
Re: What will it take to reach V1.0?

Too many nitpickers and people with too much time on their hands. Who really cares what numbering system Kovid uses, it's his software, he can number it as he pleases.

If you don't like his numbering system, don't use the software.

Personally, for a product as good as this one that is freeware, and which has such incredible support from the author, unless you find a bug or have a suggestion for a new "nice to have" feature, I'd just like to see everyone quit complaining.

Keep up the terrific work Kovid, I appreciate your software, however you choose to number it, I've used it with my eBookwise-1150, PRS505, PRS700, Ectaco Jetbook and now with my Smart Q7.

Thanks,
Dan
dpayment is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Geez. I wasn't complaining. It was a form of praise. This was my way of telling Kovid I think the program is already good enough to be considered a full version.

But if he wants to wait until he's taken care of some internals, I certainly support that. I'm certainly not going to stop using it because I don't like the numbering system. How funny to even suggest such a thing.

How does that Monty Python sketch go about holding things up by complaining about people who complain, anyway?
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote