Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
spinoza
spinoza began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, iPhone, MacBook Pro
Is this Apple's e-book trojan horse?

An interesting article on an innovative use of iTunes' new LP feature. The ebook in question is what we would regard a graphic novel, I guess, and it's not an audio book (though it appears that music is part of the package).

Will this be the way that Apple delivers ebooks with it's upcoming tablet computer? The most interesting thing about this possibility is that it can potentially create a direct connection between an ebook author and the huge marketing machine behind iTunes (with over 100 million credit card accounts), without the overhead of a publisher or other intermediary. "Indie" musicians are certainly taking advantage of this potential in iTunes, and there's no reason why it couldn't be used by authors.

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune....-trojan-horse/
spinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinoza View Post
An interesting article on an innovative use of iTunes' new LP feature. The ebook in question is what we would regard a graphic novel, I guess, and it's not an audio book (though it appears that music is part of the package).

Will this be the way that Apple delivers ebooks with it's upcoming tablet computer? The most interesting thing about this possibility is that it can potentially create a direct connection between an ebook author and the huge marketing machine behind iTunes (with over 100 million credit card accounts), without the overhead of a publisher or other intermediary. "Indie" musicians are certainly taking advantage of this potential in iTunes, and there's no reason why it couldn't be used by authors.

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune....-trojan-horse/
IOW, if it ain't a graphic novel, it ain't worth marketing??? Hate to say it, but the LAST thing we need is Yet Another Stupid E-Book Format.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
1) "Apple Tablet" rumors have been around since 2001 or so. It's unlikely they will ever actually sell one.
2) There are already several methods to sell eBooks to iPhone users: Amazon's app, B&N's, Stanza. There are also tons of stand-alone eBooks sold as iPhone Apps, thus providing the "direct" / non-publisher method.

Google, Amazon, Scribd and soon Sony all offer self-publishing options.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
1) "Apple Tablet" rumors have been around since 2001 or so. It's unlikely they will ever actually sell one.
I though about the same thing about an FM tuner on the iPod but look at it now
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Y'all *do* understand, do you not, that Steve Jobs was traumatized at an early age when he was forced to look at picture books which had *letters* in them?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #6
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I though about the same thing about an FM tuner on the iPod but look at it now.
A lot of people wanted an FM tuner, but that's not quite the same thing as analysts running around for 8 years claiming that they've seen a prototype that will be released Real Soon Now....
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:21 PM   #7
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
I think Apple will release an upsized Touch/tablet. It will look cool, run iPhone/Touch apps (or perhaps full OS X software) and will cost a small fortune. It will be a better reader than the iPhone/Touch but it will still be an LCD.
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:27 AM   #8
sdbryan
sdbryan began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
I've read a few books on an iPod touch using both Stanza and Kindle software. I know there are real limitations to using LCD's for reading eBooks but to my surprise I was neither driven crazy nor did my eyes bleed. I've seen a few Kindles and was underwhelmed by the dark gray letters on a light gray background and was not immediately impressed.

In other words I'm beginning to suspect that e-ink may have been over-hyped and that an Apple tablet may be a formidable, though expensive, alternative. However, I've spent much more money on books than I have on electronic devices like this. I'm not going to quibble over a few hundred dollars to get the best possible device for reading. My only concern about an Apple Tablet (and there will be one released, the success of the iPod touch insures that) is how difficult it will be to hack in order to obtain something that is essentially entirely open.
sdbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:30 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post
In other words I'm beginning to suspect that e-ink may have been over-hyped
Please don't forget that many of us bought eInk devices after reading for many years on LCD screens; eg, I've personally been reading eBooks for over 25 years, more than 20 of those on LCD screens. For me personally, the benefits of eInk screens are overwhelming; long battery life, clarity, etc. I certainly wouldn't say that eInk is "over-hyped" at all.

Quote:
My only concern about an Apple Tablet (and there will be one released, the success of the iPod touch insures that) is how difficult it will be to hack in order to obtain something that is essentially entirely open.
"Apple" and "open" are contradictory terms. Nobody buys an Apple device if they want something that's open.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #10
spinoza
spinoza began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, iPhone, MacBook Pro
Insiders are pretty certain that Apple will release a tablet in Qtr 1 of 2010. Familiar with the current state of touch display technology with razor-sharp resolutions, such a tablet device driven by OS X is going to be a very, very impressive little computer. And that's what Steve Jobs has been emphasizing when comparing it to "dedicated" devices like the Kindle. He believes that people want integration, they want all-in-one type devices that are multi-functional, like the iPhone.

I'm pretty omnivorous when it comes to technology and, loving my Sony Reader as much as I do, I have no problem getting an Apple tablet if the price is right. Now that the Sony Reader software is Mac compatible, I can easily see myself reading Sony ebooks on my Apple tablet as well as my Reader!
spinoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #11
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Actually, if you read the reports, a "tablet" -like device has indeed been in development for years, but has never been close to production.

The current reports are a bit more specific, and louder, than in the past. A lot of the technological hurdles appear to have been solved, such as longer battery life, combined with a robust processor (Jobs apparently was not happy with the Atom performance.)

I'd be surprised, if Apple does not introduce something tablet-like, within the next few months.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #12
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post
In other words I'm beginning to suspect that e-ink may have been over-hyped.
It's certainly not for someone like me who likes to read outside. With the backlight cranked up ...diminishing battery life greatly ... my Saga's LCD is okay in the shade. Though the minute I step out of the shade it becomes impossible to read. Now that's an transmissive LCD, but when comparing eInk to to a reflective LCD (or at least ones I've used) the contrast and viewing angle are much better with the former.

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-13-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #13
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
LCD vs. E-ink for me is not an issue. I can read for long periods with either technology, I simply don't want to be tied to my desk chair.
If Apple released a tablet that had the capacity to read ebooks, then cool, but I still doubt I'd buy one. Apple has a reputation for overpriced hardware, and plus that, a lot of the software is Windows-centric.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #14
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

LCD is not an issue for me. I use LCDs all of the time and I have no eye strain and they display color brilliantly.
The rumors about an Apple tablet have been pretty strong recently, I still think it's coming but it might not be until Q1 2010. They certainly have the other infrastructure in place, deals with media companies (record companies, TV, Movies) and they would be in a good position to get a good deal with publishers.

I would just hope that Apple doesn't get locked into using a new proprietary format for it. Also regarding LP, I dont think books need too much more info but I love the potential of a book being sold packaged with:

- Optional soundtrack, chosen by the author
- Chapter Notes by the author
- Illustrations by the author (some authors like clive barker also draw idea)
- Package deals where you get the movie + book + soundtrack/audiobook for a cheaper price.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:14 AM   #15
sdbryan
sdbryan began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please don't forget that many of us bought eInk devices after reading for many years on LCD screens; eg, I've personally been reading eBooks for over 25 years, more than 20 of those on LCD screens. For me personally, the benefits of eInk screens are overwhelming; long battery life, clarity, etc. I certainly wouldn't say that eInk is "over-hyped" at all...
What sort of LCD screens were available in 1984? I remember dim monochrome displays for calculators but nothing for people who wanted to read text. I don't believe there were LCD's with close to current capability for most of those 25 years. In any case the low contrast monochrome display of the Kindle 2 would be a tepid competitor to an Apple tablet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
..."Apple" and "open" are contradictory terms. Nobody buys an Apple device if they want something that's open.
That is just fashionable nonsense. When Apple introduced the iPod there was no DRM other than a message not to steal music. DRM for the iTunes Music Store was forced by the music industry and Apple was happy to get rid of it when it became possible. In the open source sense there are few commercial companies with more open source participation, e.g. Webkit. There is an SDK for the iPhone, will there be one for the new Zune HD?

On the other hand new devices like the Kindle and iPhone have been more locked down than previous generations of devices (except for game consoles). There is an enthusiast community that mitigates most of the damage done by allowing owners of such devices to unlock them. I'm not aware if this has been done for the Kindle but I know it has been done for the iPhone (and DVD's, Bluray, XBox, PlayStation, etc). It is part of the ecology of modern devices and can hardly be characterized as specific to Apple.
sdbryan is offline   Reply With Quote