Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
hlay
hlay began at the beginning.

Device: KII
Kindle 2 crashing when copying books over USB

I've got a folder of books I've been collecting, all azw files, in preparation for getting my Kindle. When I go to copy them on, it gets through about 5-8 of 'em (really quickly), then it freezes for a few seconds, and the Kindle unmounts. I have to re-plug it in, copy a few more, and it unmounts again.

Any idea why? These are small files, it's not like it's breaking on any particular one, etc.

Thanks!
hlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlay View Post
I've got a folder of books I've been collecting, all azw files, in preparation for getting my Kindle. When I go to copy them on, it gets through about 5-8 of 'em (really quickly), then it freezes for a few seconds, and the Kindle unmounts. I have to re-plug it in, copy a few more, and it unmounts again.

Any idea why? These are small files, it's not like it's breaking on any particular one, etc.

Thanks!
Have you tried just clicking and dragging the files to the document folder?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
hlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Have you tried just clicking and dragging the files to the document folder?
Yep, that's what I'm doing.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Sounds like something you need to talk to Amazon customer service about. It shouldn't be doing that.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Have you tried a different USB port? Do you have another cable you could try?

If you've tried all this call Amazon, I've had excellent tech help from them with K1.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
hlay

It's a USB port and a cable I use frequently and know they work, but I figure if nobody had any obvious ideas I'd try it on another computer with a different cable just to cut down on the variables.

If that doesn't work, I'll give 'em a call. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Are these actual Kindle books or books you converted to .azw?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:59 PM   #8
hlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Are these actual Kindle books or books you converted to .azw?
These are from manybooks.net.

In other news, it doesn't seem to be taking a charge. The LED turns on, but I don't get a lightning bolt on the icon.

Ugh.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:08 PM   #9
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Does Kindle II require USB 2.0 and hlay has USB 1.0 ? just a thought...I'm trying to watch Idol
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
hlay

I've got USB 2.0.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #11
hlay

Update: I get a bolt, if I use another USB cable and charger, for a few seconds. Then it disappears. LED stays on.

With the Amazon charger I get nothing, not even an LED.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #12
detacht69
Still Amazing-Only Better
detacht69 began at the beginning.

Device: New K3 Owner
faulty perhaps
detacht69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you actually tried a different USB port on your computer? Someone (in a different thread) was having trouble copying eBook over to his 700 and I suggested trying a different USB port that now he can copy eBooks to his 700.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:34 AM   #14
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2.0 In Hand
A couple users over on KindleBoards have had faulty microUSB ports and at least one has a new Kindle on its way overnight from Amazon CS. Could be you're suffering from the same issue.
BurBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #15
hlay

Yeah, that appears to have been it. The charger, tho, also appears to be faulty, as it won't charge anything else.

Got a new one coming.