Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-20-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 Touch, iPad2, Samsung Galaxy S II
Content Server & Kindle?

Has anyone managed to be able to connect to the content server that comes with Calibre with a kindle? It works great from computer & my iphone, but when I try to access it from the kindle, the browser gives the following error:

"There was an error encountered when processing your request."

any idea and tips? basically I just would like to get free news/blog update from my kindle(with picture). thank you!
shinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Did you expose the server to the internet? You will not be able to browse to your local machine name/ip. You need to use your public ip. You will probably need to modify your router to port forward to your PC, or put your PC in the DMZ (which defeats alot of the advantages of having a router).

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 07:26 PM   #3
shinew
Addict
shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shinew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes I did. i tried my laptop & iphone using 3G(turned off my wifi), they could all browse the contents fine from my external IP.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
yes I did. i tried my laptop & iphone using 3G(turned off my wifi), they could all browse the contents fine from my external IP.
Ah... well it may be finding the thing and just not working. Other people have mentioned this too. I think this server is pretty CSS/Javascript heavy and the Kindle browser may just not be able to handle it.

Do you have the Kindle browser set to advanced mode with javascript enabled?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
shinew
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Do you have the Kindle browser set to advanced mode with javascript enabled?
BOb
yep, i had the browser set to advanced & javascript enabled, although i did not use a standard port(9898). don't know if that's the problem or not...

if it's because there's too much javascript on the page, is there a template file for the content server page I could modify?
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Same problem here. Tested this yesterday, actually.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
shinew
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Same problem here. Tested this yesterday, actually.
did you use the default port 8080 or a different one?
Old 02-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Port number should not matter.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:17 PM   #9
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I used 8080, didn't really try anything else. Tried with and without a password/login
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:31 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Well without a Kindle there's not much I can do to help
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:18 AM   #11
shinew
Addict

so i just decided to give it another try before going to bed, apparently it is the port issue. It seems like you cannot specify port on the kindle browser, it has to be the browser default port(80).
Although it still got stuck on "loading..." from the content server and it's probably caused by the javascripts, you can easily turn off the server & use apache & write some custom scripts instead. I just downloaded a book with this method and it works just fine.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:19 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the content server uses AJAX, which is probably disabled in the Kindle browser.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:30 AM   #13
shinew
Addict

That's probably the case. Do you have a "dumbed down" version of the frontend for the content server? I think that could benefit a lot of kindle users.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:49 PM   #14
shinew
Addict

Is it possible possible to add an "update this feed" link to the first page of the converte mobipocket file similar like the one offered from feedbooks, given that i know where the new feed is located? say the new feed location is "http://www.someserver.com/newfeed"

if so could someone provide a sample for The New Yorker feed listed below?

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env  python

__license__   = 'GPL v3'
__copyright__ = '2008, Darko Miletic <darko.miletic at gmail.com>'
'''
newyorker.com
'''

from calibre.web.feeds.news import BasicNewsRecipe

class Newyorker(BasicNewsRecipe):
    title                 = u'The New Yorker'
    __author__            = 'Darko Miletic'
    description           = 'Best of the US journalism'    
    oldest_article        = 7
    max_articles_per_feed = 100
    no_stylesheets        = False
    use_embedded_content  = False

keep_only_tags = [
                        dict(name='div'  , attrs={'id':'printbody'   })
                     ]
    remove_tags = [
                     dict(name='div'  , attrs={'class':'utils'       })
                    ,dict(name='div'  , attrs={'id':'bottomFeatures' })
                    ,dict(name='div'  , attrs={'id':'articleBottom'  })
                  ]

feeds          = [
                        (u'The New Yorker', u'http://feeds.newyorker.com/services/rss/feeds/everything.xml')
                     ]

def print_version(self, url):
        return url + '?printable=true'
thank you!
Old 02-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinew View Post
That's probably the case. Do you have a "dumbed down" version of the frontend for the content server? I think that could benefit a lot of kindle users.
It's on my (verry long) todo list