Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
PRS 700 available to buy in Sony Stores

Tonight - 11/08 - I bought my PRS 700 from the Sony Style store in White Plains, NY - at Westchester Mall - I was surprised they had it, but as mentioned before I loved it last week when I saw it, so I did not hesitate.

It's fast, the integrated light is very good - I tried it in absolute dark at home and the reading is comfortable, though you gotta memorize the buttons since you definitely do not see them - most things you can do by tapping, but buttons help.

The turn page by sliding is comfortable and you can adjust the direction for page forward left to right or right to left. You need to do just a very small touch move to advance the page, and there is a button too.

Search is fast, bookmark is by double tap in the corner - though the global bookmarks are together with the notes and named as such.

There is a home button that accesses instantaneously the basic menu - books, notes, settings, collections - and I think there are other tricks in the manual.

I am charging it with the 500 charger - no charger is included.

It's wider than the 500 by about a finger, though I have no idea how it compares with the 505. The cover is hinged not like in the 500, again I have no idea about the 505.

Regarding screen comparison, the 505 was crisper in the store, but the 700 is so much faster, you have to try to believe it. That, touch and light make it the first e-ink for me.

It comes with 2 songs and 3 pictures installed and 15 book excerpts, but I intend to delete all asap.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:03 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Thanks for the report, enjoy !
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
make it the first e-ink for me
Welcome to eInk club!
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:14 AM   #4
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Welcome to eInk club!
I had the PRS 500 but could not use it that much since it was so slow - I loved the screen though. But this one is really good
Old 11-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #5
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
I had the PRS 500 but could not use it that much since it was so slow - I loved the screen though. But this one is really good
I have the 500 and am waiting eagerly for Thursday when my 700 is scheduled to arrive.

Since you have the 500, how do you compare the two screens? I know the 505 was a huge improvement over the 500, but since I have had no problems with the 500, I suspect I won't have any problems with the 700.

Is the 700 better to your eyes than the 500?
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #6
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
One more question for Liviu -- is the included software any better than what we already have? It is supposed to be version 2.5 (if I recall correctly) and all that has been available for download so far is 2.3.something.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:24 AM   #7
Liviu_5
Books and more books

Included software is indeed version 2.5.

The 2.5 software has 5 font levels like PRS 700 - from S to XXL, note taking since you can sync your reader if you so wish with everything - notes, bookmarks...It has search, but I think the old version had that too.

Other than that nothing struck me as different from before. - edit - actually I think it's faster in transfer to the device and doing stuff on the device from your PC like collections and such - but that may be due to the 700 faster not to the 2.5 Library software

The one thing I do not understand is why they cannot allow you to change metadata inside the Library software the way Ebookwise Librarian did.

I gave away my 500 a while ago since I did not really use it and my in-laws loved it, so I do not recall exactly the screen, but I think 700 is better. It is also wider by a finger or so, more solid and heavier

I activated my 700 with Adobe so the 2 drm pdf's I have - which I bought only because they were so cheap as opposed to buying the print, to make them almost disposable - are readable on it and that was an added bonus.

And to my surprise it's easy to read pdf's the way they are. Some work in reflow nicely when you change the font, others not so, having breaking lines and such, but for those reading horizontally at half page usually works.

I receive pdf e-arcs from publishers once in a while and until now it was a pain to extract text and run it through this or that to make it readable on my 770, but now it's not necessary in most cases

I have not tried math books and such yet but I have high expectations for those too

The back menu and home buttons are your friends, while I turn pages either by touch or by button, though mostly by touch in vertical mode and by button in horizontal since that way comes naturally to me. And I use the touch left to right forward - the default is the other way I think, but you can change it easily

The options button - search, notes, orientation is also very useful and is last so easy to remember in the dark, while the zoom is next to last

I have not installed the manual yet - busy reading, already went through half a novel and several other books to test features - though I intend to study it for tricks, tips and such
Old 11-09-2008, 02:47 PM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Can you upload the manual and/or eBook Library somewhere?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:17 PM   #9
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
Should there be a Wiki for as many uploaded manuals as possible?
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #10
smirnoff
smirnoff began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
With the PRS 700 cover, can it fold completely in half so it's a little easier to hold in one hand?
smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #11
Liviu_5
Books and more books

Sadly the User Guide is drmed pdf and I cannot even extract the text. But I would be happy to answer any reasonable questions. I think they should post it online soon when the official date comes and similarly with the library. I have no idea what/if any changes are - to me outside of the 5 fonts, notes and fast device - as opposed to the 500 from my recollections - response when USB connected, it looks just the same.

However there may be subtle differences and I think that we should wait for an official Sony release for everyone than risk things happening when you connect your 500/505. I remember that for my Nokia 770 you needed to install a completely new OS, not just an upgrade to do some stuff after a year or so...

Sure you can fold the cover into half and hold the 700 one handed and turn the pages with the buttons too, though it's much easier with the left hand for turn pages since those buttons are 2/3 from the left, Home is center and slightly larger, back menu 1st left, options first right - 7th left, zoom 2nd right-6th left, and search 3rd right-5th left
Old 11-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #12
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You mean there's no User Guide PDF on the CD? That would be really weird...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #13
Liviu_5
Books and more books

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
You mean there's no User Guide PDF on the CD? That would be really weird...
It is a secured pdf. Password protected with printing allowed but nothing else - no text extraction allowed, no copying, bla-bla...

I have no clue why it's that way when they should be allowing everyone to view the manual to decide if they are interested.

The only interesting facts I gleamed is that it has not only a go to page option, but a slider that allows to move fast within a book like in my 770, search can be done on books by author/title, books/collections can be sorted by author, date title, you can view thumbnail or list the titles, and you can go back after a jump, but still no previous books option which is annoying
Old 11-09-2008, 08:30 PM   #14
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
O.K., I just went to the Sony Style store and purchased a PRS-700.

Compared the 505 and the 700, and the screens do look different - it's almost as if the 505 is grayer/bluer, while the 700 is more on the yellowish side, which would be a little more like a monochrome LCD screen.

There is a panel on top of the screen on the 700, and it's a bit more reflective. I'd say the text on the 505 appears a little crisper, since the extra panel of the 700 seems to diffuse it a bit.

But after my first reaction to the screen difference, I realized, that in practice they don't seem that different for reading. It's mostly the hue, that makes you notice - kind of like, when calibrating a monitor to 6500, your first reaction is "Wow, this is so yellow!", but then you get used to it, and it looks right. The 700 seems a bit less contrasty, though.

But, screen-wise, I thought they'll both need some getting-used to. Neither of them is as crisp as a well-printed hard-cover title's page. I'll just have to see how it goes on my eyes over the next week or so. If I decide I can't live with the screen of the 700, I may try the 505 (but really don't like the myriad buttons on it.)

The reason why I got the 700 is because of the features. I like the hand-gesture navigation, as well as the speed and the ability to call on the keyboard for a word search. The extra font sizes can also make some stuff easier to read, IMO.

There is a black flicker, although it appears to be slightly shorter than on the 505.

The light seems like it would be useful in a pinch, but not for regular reading sessions.

Thanks to all who answered my questions.

Last edited by Sonist; 11-09-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:06 PM   #15
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
After charging the PRS-700 for about 4 hours through USB, I read for a little less than 5 hours, using gestures to flip pages virtually 100% of the time. Reading can be pretty natural this way, and page changes are fast.

The battery indicator remained at full charge. So, for me at least, the battery life appears great.

I used a Magic Light clipped to the cover, and the 700's screen was not perfect, but comfortably readable. It takes a bit of positioning, to avoid glare from the screen, as well as from the silverish accent line running along the top edge. Overall, I find it usable.

The built-in light would be fine for looking up something quickly, but it's way too uneven to use over extended periods. IMO.

During the day, though, I am not sure I love the screen as much. It is reflective, and a little dim for my taste. I'll have to give it a few more days, until I figure out if I can live with it.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote