Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #1
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
The 2014 Annual Reading Challenge Discussion Thread!

Welcome to the 2014 Reading Challenge Discussion Thread

Maybe you would like to read 15,000 pages, finish 50 books, concentrate on a specific genre or deplete your ever-growing TBR list. Maybe you're looking for ideas or you just want to see how far you can go…

This is the thread where we can share our personal goals and strategies or ask for suggestions and support.

The Annual Reading Challenge is neither a race, contest, nor an "exclusive club" Anyone can join! This is just a fun activity that some of us have enjoyed doing in the past. Many of us have found reading challenges to be an entertaining way to set goals for ourselves, get ideas for books, and see what others are reading.

You are welcome to keep track of the books you have read in the "List Thread", here: 2014 Annual Reading Challenge List Thread

Plus, to discuss a particular book please participate in the Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading? thread and share your thoughts about the book with others.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Keep Reading!

My goal this year is to keep reading! I'd like to read a minimum of one book a week. I've decided not to add any additional challenges . *Yeah, I know, I've said that before.

I will be updating my progress on my post in the The 2014 Annual Reading Challenge List Thread!.

My list and reviews will also be on my 2014 shelf on GoodReads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
And already I'm wavering on my promise to KISS! One of the book clubs I'm in over on GoodReads is starting a really cool (and flexible) series challenge.

I'm so tempted, especially since I do have a ridiculous number of series I'd like to both start and finish.
Quote:
So yeah... I caved!

Among the 52 books, I will inserting books from a few series as part of the 2014 Series Challenge going on in one of the groups at GoodReads.
Its equivalent to a TBR Decimation challenge, but specifically targeted to series where you have to finish a series before starting a new one.
As of January 1st 2014, My main challenges are as follows:

Goal: 52 books this year. 1 book a week.
Goal: The Flights of Fantasy* Series Challenge (This is an annual, self paced, self scored challenge where you earn points for catching up on or finishing whole series)
~Series Challenge Goal: One Series Book Every Month

I am also participating in the first Flights of Fantasy* monthly challenge. These are task oriented challenges where you select the goal that you want to reach (IE: the number of books you'd like to read this month), and complete specific tasks in order to reach that goal.
January's = Resolution Challenge.

*Flights of Fantasy is an open Speculative Fiction (Fantasy, Science Fiction, Horror, etc.) themed book club at GoodReads.

Last edited by Nyssa; 01-02-2014 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Updating ... Everything
Advert
Old 12-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Tizzalicious
Connoisseur
Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, iPad 2, iPhone 5
My goal for 2013 was to read 50 books. I went way over (I'm currently reading book number 84), so in 2014 I am upping it to 75. That should give me some time to read a few longer/harder to read books.

In an attempt not to buy as many ebooks, I also have the goal to read all books on my ereader. I can buy new ones, but that just means it will take me longer to read everything. So far it's not really working, but who knows, maybe in 2014?
Tizzalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzalicious View Post
My goal for 2013 was to read 50 books. I went way over (I'm currently reading book number 84), so in 2014 I am upping it to 75. That should give me some time to read a few longer/harder to read books.

In an attempt not to buy as many ebooks, I also have the goal to read all books on my ereader. I can buy new ones, but that just means it will take me longer to read everything. So far it's not really working, but who knows, maybe in 2014?
Congratulations of not just meeting, but beating your goal! I'm sure you'll do just as well (if not better) in 2014!!
Old 12-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I went for 52 books in 2013 (so as not to stretch myself and allow more time for TV, radio and games) but am about to finish the year on 75, so that'll be my target for 2014.

Just need to think a bit about whether to have some specific sub-goals. There are a number of books I feel I *should* read, so may factor some of them in...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4/Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX 7"
I'm going to lower my goal this year from 52 to 30. I'm starting a new hobby that will likely cut into reading time this year but I'd still like to read a book every other week or maybe little more.
mcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
My 2014 Reading Challenge

Part A - 150 books

Read 150 books. Length is irrelevant.

Part B - Genre Carousel

Evenly distribute books read among five genres:
  • Fantasy
  • Science Fiction
  • Mystery & Detective
  • Romance
  • Historical Fiction

Part C - Book Balance < $50

Reduce "Books Purchased but Unread" balance to less than $50. Current balance is $210.68. It kind of got out of hand this year with Kobopalooza.

2014 Challenge Post
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
Tizzalicious
Connoisseur
Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tizzalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Congratulations of not just meeting, but beating your goal! I'm sure you'll do just as well (if not better) in 2014!!
Thank you! I didn't read much at the beginning of 2013, so I should definitely have no problems!

Good luck on your goal too!
Old 12-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
Tizzalicious
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post

Part C - Book Balance < $50

Reduce "Books Purchased but Unread" balance to less than $50. Current balance is $210.68. It kind of got out of hand this year with Kobopalooza.
I feel you. All those discount codes are just too good to not use!
Old 12-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #10
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzalicious View Post
I feel you. All those discount codes are just too good to not use!
The good thing is that it includes a lot of books!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #11
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
My goal for 2013 was to read 50 books. I am going to be a little short, as I'll only finish 41 by the end of the year. I'm going to keep my goal the same for 2014. Hopefully I'll manage to reach my goal of 50 books.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #12
Tizzalicious
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
The good thing is that it includes a lot of books!
True I love it, but it does make our challenges hard!
Old 12-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Now that I've learned through MR that some books are considered 'high-brow' and I've investigated which books those might be, I am developing high-brow aspirations for 2014. But that will still leave room for vampires and Zorro.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #14
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
My goal for 2013 was 40 books, in the first half I was on track for 50 but as of now I'm at 29. However if all the reading I've done this year was complete books I'd probably have made my target.

My goal for 2014 is to finish a few of the books I've started in the last few years but not finished. I'd also like to reduce my TBR a bit. 40 books would still be a good target in terms of number of books.

But really, I'd like to recover some of the joy of reading that I've lost somehow.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:36 PM   #15
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
But really, I'd like to recover some of the joy of reading that I've lost somehow.
And that is the important part here! This is all for fun and our own personal enjoyment, so there is no need to keep up with the Jones'.

If you have lost your joy of reading, I suggest an easily attainable goal rather than a goal that pushes you. Nothing makes fun into "work" like having a deadline.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote