Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
chaselance
chaselance began at the beginning.

Device: iphone4
Red face Need help since itunes canceled ereader app

hi i recently had to restore my iphone4 since it was malfunctioning and once i did the restore i noticed my ereader app was missing so i went to redownload and it wasnt there. i contacted apple and they said they no longer carry the app and i would have to use another one. well i have tried everyone suggested ibooks,kindle,nook,stanza, even used dropbox but none will regonize or download any of my secure ereader books purchased from fictionwise or ereader.com. can someone please help me. please tell me what app i can download and use to read my books if it were only a couple i wont care but i have over 200 books and apple said that helping me figuring out which app or how to download the books is not their problem. thanks so much in advance.
chaselance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Welcome.

Have you tried contacting eReader directly?
http://www.ereader.com/servlet/mw?a=v&t=support

I'd guess their customer service has gone down hill just like Fictionwise's has, but it might be worth a shot to see if they plan to do anything with their previous app (did they pull it or did Apple?). Their website makes it sound like the app is still available, but I don't think B&N has put much into keeping Fictionwise or eReader up to date. To the best of my knowledge there are no other apps supporting DRM'd eReader books.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Your best option, the only one really, is to strip the DRM and convert to another ebook format. The DRM stripping can be done by a 3rd party plugin to Calibre, and Calibre can then convert the DRM-free version to whatever format you want. See Apprentice Alf's Blog for more on DRM.

It has never been tested in court, but removing DRM from ebooks you bought so that they can be read on a device you own (and that used to be able to read the DRMed version) is almost certainly legal in the US.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #4
chaselance

to answer first reply the ereader website basically said they had no idea what other product i could use they were no help either they told me to ask apple and apple told me to ask them. they were both just trying to pass off the problem it seems. and to second reply i did download the calibre program but it doesnt do anything with my books. i am not very computer savy if possible could you give me instruction on what to do with my downloaded book after its downloaded onto my windows computer to get it into calibre? and i dont know how to get to that apprentice alf blog i typed in his name in search but i didnt see him in any of the search results. sorry i just joined today so am not real sure how to go about finding things yet sorry.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:15 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Google for apprentice alf blog (actually Alf's). Once you have found the tools, follow the directions in the README file that comes with the plugin.

Note that the plugin works on import, so if you have added the ebooks to Calibre already delete them and reimport.

All you need to do to import ebooks into Calibre is Add Books -> Add Books from a single directory (then select the directory (folder) containing your ebooks and highlight the ebooks by clicking on the first and shift clicking on the last, and finally hit open). I suggest you import one or two initially as a test. Once they are in Calibre as PMLZ ebooks, select one or more ebooks and click on Convert books. You probably want to convert to ePub.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #6
chaselance

i tried this but once i hit convert it says cannot convert book is drm locked
Old 07-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaselance View Post
i tried this but once i hit convert it says cannot convert book is drm locked
Calibre will not convert the books natively. you MUST get the plugin as referenced above, install that, remove the books you put into calibre and THEN import/strip DRM. I guess you will need to google for the blog, I don't have the URL for it myself.

If you *did* do this already, then I am afraid you are SOL, unless..... I have an ereader copy, its in my itunes/mobile applications folder and I've kept it just in case... I would advise you to check yours. Just because its not now on your iphone, doesnt mean its not somewhere on your hard drive. ALSO check your trashcan/recycle bin (depending on which OS you are using)
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
chaselance

thx for all the help i did find the blog and was able to convert mt ereader books but for some reason the mobipocket books aren't working i added the plug in like it said and i even plugged in my id code that mobipocket book gave me when purchased but it's still nt converting these ones. i tried it with just the 10 digit code like it says and it didnt work i tried using the whole 20 digit code that was actually given but that didnt work either. any ideas of what i might be doing wrong or how to fix. please let me know.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #9
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaselance View Post
thx for all the help i did find the blog and was able to convert mt ereader books but for some reason the mobipocket books aren't working i added the plug in like it said and i even plugged in my id code that mobipocket book gave me when purchased but it's still nt converting these ones. i tried it with just the 10 digit code like it says and it didnt work i tried using the whole 20 digit code that was actually given but that didnt work either. any ideas of what i might be doing wrong or how to fix. please let me know.
Your best bet is to post your problem on Als's blog. They should be able to help you.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote