Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-15-2012, 04:51 AM   #46
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
1982? That's post-punk. Do you mean the two-tone era of Madness, The Specials etc? That wasn't such a forceful era imho as the skinheads of the early 70's, post-hippy period. The 1980's were a time when pride in personal appearance was paramount. Unfortunately, the hard-end of the skinhead movement during the 80's were involved in the national front, or claimed to be. They were a nasty, racist lot on the whole. Although the two-tone bands grew mostly out of the high unemployment of the period (UB40) and were very socially aware.

Sorry if this seems muddled; was just surprised that your novel about skinheads is set so late.

Re the cover: I like the final one, except for the boots which look as though he's never walked in them. The soles are unblemished. Love the blood on the tee-shirt.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:55 AM   #47
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
To be honest it's only on there at all because Smashwords insists on it. Can I get some opinions on a beta-blurb as well? I know this doesn't suggest romance either, but it's a fairly accurate description of what it is about.

They wanted a romantic weekend by the sea …

They weren’t looking for a fight …

But you have to defend yourself …

Right?

A ska festival draws thousands of skinheads from across the country to the sleepy seaside town of Cleethorpes. Local residents and day-trippers look on in horror as the town is taken over by shaven-headed masses wearing boots and braces. But much to their surprise, the weekend unfolds peacefully.

That is, until a group of drunken bikers think it would be a good laugh to smash up a few scooters, thinking they must belong to mods. Revenge is swift and vicious, but the bikers have friends too. Friends who are more than eager to settle the score.
Sounds fine to me too. I think I now have a pretty clear steer on what the book's about.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2012, 05:59 AM   #48
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
1982? Unfortunately, the hard-end of the skinhead movement during the 80's were involved in the national front, or claimed to be. They were a nasty, racist lot on the whole.
I think it was more British Movement than NF, at least around here. But they and the other skins coexisted pretty well once they learnt not to talk about politics. Like with the split in musical taste, it wasn't particularly important. It sounds pretty far fetched now, but that's the way it was then.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #49
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
If the yellow is a "carryover" as orlok said, then fine.

I usually try not to critique but I really like the model and the position, boot and all. Yes he is a little neat for a skinhead, but hell a guy can spruce up for his girl, can't he? He might want to take her into a nice establishment.
It does however, like gmw said, seem to lack something more pertinent to the romantic event.

Perhaps if the the right hand or the left for that matter, had something whimsical, from the girl, say a bandana? You could try putting it, the pretty bandana, around his neck, or draped over the knee. I would at least dirty up his boot sole. Even blood. A little blood on the bandana perhaps?
A bouquet of broken flowers (but in worse shape than in the latest spiderman movie)?
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #50
Echase
Connoisseur
Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Echase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I don't think the yellow works, I would extend the brick all the way to the edge of the page. I think the boots clash with the bricks, the boots look like they were cut from a sepia-toned picture. I'd put the boots in the same look as the wall, whether you change the boots or the wall.
agreed, I don't care for the yellow much either. It doesn't seem to flow right.
Echase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 03:23 AM   #51
GMcG
Writer
GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GMcG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've done a little job on the cover, even if it is too late, because I like to do things like that.
Just as proposal. Most important:
1. I have repaired the left arm, which seems to be 'burnt off' partially with the wall.
Other steps:
2. The font type of the description. I think Arial looks too hard, compared with the sprayed title.
I've chosen Comic Sans MS bold. I think it matches better.
3. The autor's name is bigger, the logo is smaller, they have the same bottom line.
4. I've reduced the blue in the colour of his skin, darkened the figure and smoothened the hard line of the head (the side without shadow) to integrate the head into the photo.

But worst of all: The coverboy is gay. He is not a skin, but posing in his skinhead outfit, trying to look like a tough guy. That's why he looks so clean, he wouldn't like to have blood spots on his branded shirt and a skinhead wouldn't wear such a shirt. It's not authentic. And look at the left boot, positioned against his crotch. I think this is very evident. I'm afraid, he won't ever have a romance with a girl. Do you have permission to use his photo?

Is it right that it is only one 'Skinhead away' on the wall, not plural like 'Skinheads away'?
I don't mind the yellow part of the background. It could be the shine of a distant fire, indicating uproar and destruction as it is shown with the broken and burnt wall.

George

Last edited by GMcG; 07-11-2012 at 03:25 AM. Reason: The upload of the jpg didn't work.
GMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #52
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMcG View Post

But worst of all: The coverboy is gay. He is not a skin, but posing in his skinhead outfit, trying to look like a tough guy. That's why he looks so clean, he wouldn't like to have blood spots on his branded shirt and a skinhead wouldn't wear such a shirt. It's not authentic. And look at the left boot, positioned against his crotch. I think this is very evident. I'm afraid, he won't ever have a romance with a girl. Do you have permission to use his photo?
I have permission from the photographer to use it as a source. I don't know if wearing a Lonsdale shirt makes people gay or not, but they were a popular choice around here.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:35 PM   #53
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I don't know if wearing a Lonsdale shirt makes people gay or not, but they were a popular choice around here.
Isn't that the cop from the Village People in GMcG's avatar?

ApK is offline   Reply With Quote