Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #1
ctirish
ctirish began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Search screen won't close

Hi, I have an IPad about 3 years old. In the past week it has developed a mind of its own. I opened Safari and did some research but when I wanted to close it won't. The button at the bottom of the IPad does nothing. I had an update sitting in my settings area and once I got it to close the other day, I ran the update hoping it would correct the problem.

What I have tried:
the reboot scenario
Holding top button so it would ask if I wanted to close it
tried swiping the screen - the only thing that happens is the open pages appear in a line up format and I can x those closed but then it just brings up the initial search page.

Right now I have a grandchild sitting here waiting for me to fix this. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for helping, jane
ctirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:41 PM   #2
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Jane,

Is this how you did the reboot:

1. If the iPad is frozen or stuck, hold down both the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button. This will force the iPad to power down.

2. The iPad screen will display the circle of dashes which indicates it is busy. Once the iPad has finished shutting down completely, the screen will go completely black.

3. Once the iPad's screen is completely black, hold down the Sleep/Wake button for several seconds. This will allow you to restart the iPad.

4. When the Apple logo appears in the middle of the screen, you can release the Sleep/Wake button. The iPad will restart shortly after the logo appears.

It usually gets this Grandpa out of trouble ...
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2015, 10:09 PM   #3
ctirish

Thank you, thank you, thank you... I knew there was something. Now, I have to write it down so I remember it for next time. Sometimes, I wish they had never invented computers.

We made out okay today, we made doll clothes. They come for a snow day and tell me mom took off the parental locks for the day. Then they tell me that means they can use it from the minute mom left until dad picks them up 8 hours later.

Thanks again and have a good week

jane
Old 01-13-2015, 01:38 PM   #4
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
You're very welcome! Glad it worked out. You probably had more fun with the doll clothes than with an iPad.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:42 PM   #5
ctirish

Thanks,

I did have more fun. It started out rough, I went to use one of my sewing machines and it just made this horrific noise and tried to walk across the table. Thankfully, I have another one that does both sewing and embroidery. They went home with a pillow and outfit for their dolls.
Advert

Tags
ipad, screen freeze