Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: do you like kite?
yes 55 85.94%
no 9 14.06%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #61
Titano
Definitely not King Kong
Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Titano never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I don't think the KTouch would bring DirectFB at all - with the X server in place there wouldn't be much reason to do so. But weren't there other launchers for the KTouch?
That makes since.... Anyways yes there are other launchers I was just being curious . I figured I would give it a shot... Well I guess it won't work on the kindle touch, at least not without modification. Thanks everyone!
Titano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #62
Michele Clinco
Michele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with othersMichele Clinco plays well with others

Device: BeBook/Openinkpot, DR1000S, Kindle 3 & 4NT, Various Android devices
Hallo.

I'm reporting my positive experience in the installation of Kite on a Kindle 4NT with firmware v4.1.
The goal was to start CoolReader 3.

The approach I chose was to install it using the kite.sh script executed via SSH using the USBNET. The script I used is the one you can download in the first message of this thread.

Launching the script as it was did not work, so I looked for what was wrong:
In Kindle4 the system startup is not made with the normal linux runlevels, so the directories "/etc/rc5.d" and "/etc/rc3.d" do not exist and are replaced by "/etc/rcS.d" that is equivalent to the "/etc/rc5.d".

So, the command "ln -sf ../init.d/kite /etc/rc5.d/S62kite" must be replaced by
"ln -sf ../init.d/kite /etc/rcS.d/S62kite",
the line "ln -sf ../init.d/kite /etc/rc3.d/K07kite" has to be removed and as consequence the following line of the kite-uninstall.sh file "rm -f /sbin/kite /etc/init.d/kite /etc/rc5.d/S62kite /etc/rc3.d/K07kite" becomes "rm -f /sbin/kite /etc/init.d/kite /etc/rcS.d/S62kite"

I did not test the installation with a new script but I first manually extracted the files (the kite shell script, the kite executable) then I copied them to the proper destination locations (/etc/init.d, /sbin) and executed the diffrerent "mntroot", "chmod and "ln"

After this everything worked and I could use CoolReader 3!
Michele Clinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 02:29 PM   #63
kuser
kuser began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g
Hello.
I'm new on this forum.
I've a question, and hope someone could help me.
I've a kindle keyboard with jailbreak and Font & Screendaver hacks installed (all files from Niluje).
My question is:
Can I install Kite and usb networking on my jailbroken kindle?

Thanks
kuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #64
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Does anyone use kite anymore? I rather thought Launchpad superceded it.

Or am I being stupid? Someone set me straight.

@Kuser. err. yes. (Just noticed your Cross-post) This should be fine.

(If your Jailbreak is actually working okay)

I have exactly the setup you describe. except launchpad instead of Kite . Hope that Helps

Last edited by twobob; 09-16-2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: You shouldn't cross post it's against the laws of nature and stuff
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #65
kuser
kuser began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g
thanks
kuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #66
RT Wolf
RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Looking for the right android e-ink tablet
Just tried to do this on my new K3w with 3.4 and update failed. Perhaps an update is needed for 3.4?
RT Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #67
RT Wolf
RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.RT Wolf knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Looking for the right android e-ink tablet
How did you extract the executable? I'm trying to install via script and its not working either. Doesn't give any output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele Clinco View Post
I did not test the installation with a new script but I first manually extracted the files (the kite shell script, the kite executable) then I copied them to the proper destination locations (/etc/init.d, /sbin) and executed the diffrerent "mntroot", "chmod and "ln"

After this everything worked and I could use CoolReader 3!
RT Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #68
sencer
sencer knows the square root of minus one.sencer knows the square root of minus one.sencer knows the square root of minus one.sencer knows the square root of minus one.sencer knows the square root of minus one.sencer knows the square root of minus one.sencer knows the square root of minus one.sencer knows the square root of minus one.sencer knows the square root of minus one.sencer knows the square root of minus one.sencer knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle PW
I guess this doesn't work on PW, does it?
sencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #69
mcandre
Connoisseur
mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle
Kite appeared to successfully install on my Kindle Keyboard 3G / USA, but I can't get any scripts to run. When I launch the PDFs, Kindle just opens blank PDFs. I added executable permissions to my scripts, I added shebangs, I tried writing a test script that with `touch test.txt`, but I don't see a test.txt file. I'm using Mac OS X, and my shell scripts are all using Unix (LF) line endings, and ASCII encoding.

I'm concerned that maybe I didn't properly root my Kindle. The update/jailbreak processed seemed to run fine, but no Kindle root files or directories are visible when I connect to my computer. I don't see /mnt/us, or even /mnt, so I can't install most apps.

What am I doing wrong?
mcandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:27 PM   #70
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandre View Post
Kite appeared to successfully install on my Kindle Keyboard 3G / USA, but I can't get any scripts to run. When I launch the PDFs, Kindle just opens blank PDFs. I added executable permissions to my scripts, I added shebangs, I tried writing a test script that with `touch test.txt`, but I don't see a test.txt file. I'm using Mac OS X, and my shell scripts are all using Unix (LF) line endings, and ASCII encoding.

I'm concerned that maybe I didn't properly root my Kindle. The update/jailbreak processed seemed to run fine, but no Kindle root files or directories are visible when I connect to my computer. I don't see /mnt/us, or even /mnt, so I can't install most apps.

What am I doing wrong?
Add USBnetworking ;
Enable it when you want to use it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #71
mcandre
Connoisseur
mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!mcandre , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle
usnNetwork requires a lot of manual configuration after applying the update. Any one click installers that either:

* Add a root shell kindlet onto the home screen
* Start sshd on boot
* Allow the normal mass media USB connection to list root files and folders

?
mcandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #72
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Learn to type.
It is a handy skill to have.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #73
lovexiuxiu
lovexiuxiu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovexiuxiu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovexiuxiu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovexiuxiu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovexiuxiu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: k4
update_kite_0.0.1_install-k4

Quote:
10#
发表于 2013-1-9 19:15 | 只看该作者
本帖最后由 chrox 于 2013-1-9 19:50 编辑

论坛上最新的回复,如何安装kite

I can't remember how I did it... but, let's force the brains...
lovexiuxiu 发表于 2013-1-9 18:38

根据你提供的信息我做了kite的安装和卸载包,没有K4没做测试,所以不能保证可用。
update_kite_0.0.1_install-k4.bin (22.49 KB)
update_kite_0.0.1_uninstall-k4.bin (897 Bytes)

生成这两个包的命令是:

kindletool create ota2 -d k4 -d k4b -C kite.sh update_kite_0.0.1_install-k4.bin
kindletool create ota2 -d k4 -d k4b -C unkite.sh update_kite_0.0.1_uninstall-k4.bin
if anyone want install kite on k4 nt ,i think this can help !

great thanks to chrox~~~~

i test on my k4 ,it working~
Attached Files
File Type: rar update_kite_0.0.1_install-k4.rar (23.5 KB, 1022 views)
lovexiuxiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:11 AM   #74
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
After a long break I am installing kite again on my Kindle Keyboard. I am using the correct update.bin file. However, I get the U007 error message and no install takes place. What am I missing here? Thank you for helping.
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #75
CapitainDerya
Connoisseur
CapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsCapitainDerya can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 4 NT,PW2
Which shell command shall i use to stop running of usbnet app ? When i unplug kindle that is in usbnet mode , it doesnt quit from usb connected screen. So i am using restart command
CapitainDerya is offline   Reply With Quote