Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #31
hexabox
hexabox began at the beginning.

Device: Sony T1
Hi all,

I've got my T1 for a week and just found this thread. I loved my T1 but it had already frozen twice. Both happened when I was reading a big PDF file (more than 600 pages) and turned on the auto crop page function.

The symptom was, I was flipping page using the touch screen (not the hard button at all), and waited for the page to flip (you know how slow it handles the pdf page flipping), then suddenly it started to flip pages by itself. I pressed the home button to stop the flipping. Since then, all the hard buttons still worked, but the touch screen had no response. I tried to power off the device, but I could not touch the confirm shutdown button in popup. Eventually I reset the device.

I suspected that there was a flaw in the PDF text reflow algorithm that causing it. (coz the T1 really had problem on showing some c++ code. ) I am a software developer myself and the problem looks like a infinite loop + watchdog timeout to me.

So my question is, does everyone have problem only on the pdf files, or you had it happened also on the ePub? Hopefully we can provide more info to Sony and have them fixed the T1.

Thanks,

Last edited by hexabox; 11-07-2011 at 11:56 AM.
hexabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:59 AM   #32
Insalata
Zealot
Insalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it isInsalata knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Sage, iPad
I rarely use pdf on my T1, so all the issues I've experienced have been while reading epubs.
Insalata is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 12:01 PM   #33
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexabox View Post
Hi all,

I've got my T1 for a week and just found this thread. I loved my T1 but it had already frozen twice. Both happened when I was reading a big PDF file (more than 600 pages) and turned on the auto crop page function.

The symptom was, I was flipping page using the touch screen (not the hard button at all), and waited for the page to flip (you know how slow it handles the pdf page flipping), then suddenly it started to flip pages by itself. I pressed the home button to stop the flipping. Since then, all the hard buttons still worked, but the touch screen had no response. I tried to power off the device, but I could not touch the confirm shutdown button in popup. Eventually I reset the device.

I suspected that there was a flaw in the PDF text reflow algorithm that causing it. (coz the T1 really had problem on showing some c++ code. ) I am a software developer myself and the problem looks like a infinite loop + watchdog timeout to me.

So my question is, does everyone have problem only on the pdf files, or you had it happened also on the ePub? Hopefully we can provide more info to Sony and have them fixed the T1.

Thanks,
Absolutely I have had issues (large lag, not infinite loops) with page turns on PDF files when reflow is turned on, even though those same files have no issues with my 950. I have even cropped and tagged the PDF using Adobe Acrobat Pro, with no improvement in result. The PDF is not large in size, less then 8MB, and has < 400 pages IIRC. So far I've had no issues with ePub.
Has Sony even acknowledged this? I think it's high time I contact them, actually.
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 12:34 PM   #34
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
If you are having problems, you should definitely contact Sony. That will be the only way they know how widespread the issue is and get a fix. So, please, get those reports in. I wish they would send out updates on their progress, but that is probably asking too much.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:56 PM   #35
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
If you are having problems, you should definitely contact Sony. That will be the only way they know how widespread the issue is and get a fix. So, please, get those reports in. I wish they would send out updates on their progress, but that is probably asking too much.
I agree. Report your issues. I did. Sony was very accommodating and did offer replacements. When I had the same problems with the replacements, they refunded my money.

That aside is is important that they know exactly what issues you are having.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #36
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
Yes, I will contact them, but this is a device firmware issue or Android issue, not sure which, so a replacement will accomplish nothing. I keep on saying that I'll root the device and try ezPDF but I never found the time...
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #37
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
I have contacted Sony. They responded with the procedure to Factory Initialize the device. Has anyone had experience with the Factory reset? Does it fix this problem or help in any way?
--MH

Last edited by dynabook; 11-07-2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: typo
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 04:31 PM   #38
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
I have contacted Sony. They responded with the procedure to Factory Initialize the device. Has anyone had experionce with the Factory reset? Does it fix this problem or help in any way?
--MH
It didn't in my case. But it won't hurt to try it. In my case it seemed to work for a couple of days & then went back to having the same issues.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #39
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think I will email them back and tell them it didn't work. Shh, don't tell.
--MH
Old 11-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #40
twinszz
Connoisseur
twinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enoughtwinszz will become famous soon enough

Device: prs 300, 600, 950, 350, & T1
Hey Everyone,

I found a non-permanent solution to the page flips/freeze. When it occurrs, hit the power button to turn off, then on, then off, then on. This fixes the freeze where you don't have to wait half an hour or so.

Don't touch any other button when it occurs, just do the above and you can then continue reading the book, after you find the page you were on.

Crazy, right? But, if you continue reading on your T1 until there is a fix to the flips/freeze, this is a minor solution.

Also, while reading a PDF book, after getting so far in the book, the page turns would take about 3-5 seconds to occurr. I thought it was a problem with the reader, however, it has only occurred with that one particular book.

I have found myself going back to my 950/350 to read a book I am reading, so as not to be annoyed with the page flip/freeze problem.
twinszz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:59 PM   #41
dynabook
Techno-geek

I replied to my support email that the factory reset didn't solve the problem and Sony Support replied back:

Quote:
We do apologize for any inconvenience with the performance of the device, actually we have received a few reports in this regard and we have escalated the issue to the engineering department for a solution to the issue, that would include a firmware update but this has to be confirmed and informed to your as to the other customers. We will continue working for a solution to this issue and we will let you know of any update on this regard.
--MH
Old 11-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #42
toby53
Enthusiast
toby53 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1 & Basic KOBO
For UK T1 owners

Sony repair in Wales are not away of these issue so I have pointed them in the direct of the Sony site and these forums, will let you know of the result
toby53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #43
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool Mmmmm...

Well, considering the problem has been aired on the UK/Euro Sony Forum, and the US and elsewhere has a reasonably large history of it happening........

Sorry, I don't buy it.

I can't accept that some word hasn't reached the guys on the floor, on a fairly important new launch product.

To date, I must say I've had no problems ..... so live in hope.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:44 AM   #44
bibahbuzemann
Addict
bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.bibahbuzemann solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1dnn View Post
You are joking, right? The problems occurs while reading and swiping the screen to the next or previous page. Then it keeps paging, pressing a button works to stop it but then nothing works except reset. Now how on earth can this have anything to do with familiarity with the device.

The Sony message just enumerates the other instances that may be perceived as a freeze but these are clearly not the instances in all the reports. Even if someone accidentally enters zoom mode or any other unknown mode, then the Home and Back buttons should still work and none of these mode includes automatic paging like the reported bug does.
I have the same prob. Every 30-60 page-swipes it starts selecting random words on the next page(this is when its best to remember the page you're on).

A couple of swipes later the thing just freaks out and fast-forwards until it hits the last page in the book.

The Home button then still works but its useless because touch functionality is completely gone.

Reseting is the only option, but that makes the thing forget what page you were on. While reading "A Dance with Dragons" that was seriously frustrating
bibahbuzemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #45
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
You can hit the Home button while it is flipping out. If you are quick, it maybe only gets 10 pages ahead. Then you can go back using the Previous Page button and start reading again using the Next Page button. It's a bit better than always doing the Reset, but you can only use the buttons until you reset.

On the other hand, by accident I discovered that sometimes I can power down without using the reset. Then I don't lose my page... I hold the Power button until the Power Down? screen comes up, and poke the Yes place. Nothing happens. Then I quick press the power button to put it to sleep, wait to let it get all comfy, and poke the power button to wake it up. Then I swiped along the Yes place. Still nothing, so I did the same again - and the Yes place went dark and it turned off! It has worked that way twice for me so far, but I'm not sure if it is the multiple sleeps or the swiping, or maybe just keeping my finger on the Yes place for a while which is making it shut down.

As long as it keeps flipping out, I'll keep experimenting - but I hope they fix it soon.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote