Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #46
JohnnyRocks
Zealot
JohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-books

Device: PocketBook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad View Post
Fingerprints are the result of action of our eccrine glands which leave sweat marks, mostly water and salt, on any screen types. To deny that is infantile.
And yes, I have used Sony readers, I just don't like them (or Sony, for that matter, a freedom hating company which actually installed rootkits and backdoors on computers until they got caught).
But hey, if you don't see fingerstains on your Sony, that's great. To each its own. Just don't tell me about a) physics-defying miracles b) what kind of readers I have or have not tried, ok?
Another thing. Your forensic analysis of fingerprints not withstanding, you are missing a very important (in fact, COMPLETLY defining) point. The VISIBILITY of fingerprints is the issue here, not the fingerprints themselves, and, while your definition of "fingerprints" is impressive, to say that they would be equally visible on, say, a mirror, as they would be on, say, concrete, is infantile and asinine. The coating that Sony uses is EXTREMELY resistant to fingerprints (the visibility of them). That is the issue here, and, given your above average intelligence (as you so proudly displayed when you defined the word "Fingerprints" for us), I'm utterly shocked that you missed it.
JohnnyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #47
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRocks View Post
After typing this I pulled out my 350 and can say, beyond any question, that there isn't any sort of smudge, mark, or fingerprint on this little beast, despite the fact that I read for 2-3 hours per day, have done so since I got the machine in early February (2.5 months ago), and have not ONCE wiped down the screen. The extent of my cleaning of the screen has been to blow on it gently whenever there is a hair, or piece of lint, dust, or anything else. There is litterally not a mark on the screen.
I never see any fingerprints on my PRS-350 screen, either, despite heavy use. My iPad, on the other hand, is constantly full of fingerprints. I have to wipe it down quite often.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 02:25 AM   #48
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I never see any fingerprints on my PRS-350 screen, either, despite heavy use. My iPad, on the other hand, is constantly full of fingerprints. I have to wipe it down quite often.
+1, only smartphone ISO iPad
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:13 AM   #49
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Hi all,

my 302 also shows very little in the way of smudges or deposits from fingers, though I admit I clean mine every couple of months or so.

The iPads I've seen though (mainly in shops) do look, ummm... grubby.

Cheers,
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #50
JohnnyRocks
Zealot
JohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-books

Yeah, I have an Ipad also, and, it's horrendous as far as showing fingerprints. Not the same as the touchscreen readers from Sony, though. Completely different screen.
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 07:04 AM   #51
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
And now, after that commercial break from the Sony Defense Force, we return to our scheduled programming:
http://armdevices.net/2011/04/17/pocketbook-360-plus/

Charmax caught the PB360+ at a trade show.
The video clearly states 128MB RAM, 2GB Flash, 533MHz CPU, WiFi, and 16 grayscale Vizplex screen. No Pearl so Pearl-only afficionadoes can start their carping in ten... nine... eight...

Good news is it looks like they're retaining the case and cover. (Yay!) And the flap buttons, too. (uh... okay, I guess.)

Bottom line: faster CPU and screen, WiFi, more RAM and onboard storage, no messing with the ergonomics.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #52
Farhad
Zealot
Farhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheese

Device: N800/Nokia 5230/PB IQ701/PB 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
And now, after that commercial break from the Sony Defense Force, .
LOL. They really remind me of Mac users. I had no idea that Sony was also a cult. I wonder who their Steve Jobs is though
Farhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #53
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Bottom line: faster CPU and screen, WiFi, more RAM and onboard storage, no messing with the ergonomics.
No obvious improvement regarding case, cover, buttons and build quality. I'm a little bit disappointed.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #54
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Well, yes, Pearl would have been nice. No compelling reason to upgrade as far as I can tell.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #55
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hate to go back to the Sony advertisements, but looks like I made the right decision to get the 350 as an upgrade instead of waiting for the new Pocketbook model. I was a huge Pocketbook supporter, but if they aren't even upgrading to the Pearl screen, in my opinion, there's no improvement. (I don't care for Wifi on my reader). I've used the Sony now for a couple of weeks, and even though I really loved my Pocketbook 360, I haven't picked it up since. The Sony really is that much of an improvement. Pearl screen being the main thing, but it's SO much faster, page turns, loading books, etc.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #56
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
Hate to go back to the Sony advertisements, but looks like I made the right decision to get the 350 as an upgrade instead of waiting for the new Pocketbook model. I was a huge Pocketbook supporter, but if they aren't even upgrading to the Pearl screen, in my opinion, there's no improvement. (I don't care for Wifi on my reader). I've used the Sony now for a couple of weeks, and even though I really loved my Pocketbook 360, I haven't picked it up since. The Sony really is that much of an improvement. Pearl screen being the main thing, but it's SO much faster, page turns, loading books, etc.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #57
JohnnyRocks
Zealot

Pot...meet kettle...

It's funny you are calling us Sony fanboys. I'm not at ALL a Sony fanboy, in the sense that most everything they make is, in my opinion, drastically overpriced in comparison to it's competition, including, by the way, their cases/covers for the very machine on which I am vehemently heaping praise.

Having said that, they got it right with the PRS-350 (not so much with the 650 and 950, in terms of pricing) and, I'm simply pointing out that they have significantly better/upgraded hardware in comparison to the PB360, at a lower price. Sounds like a win/win. It also urked me that someone who has clearly never seen one up close (I played with BOTH the Sony and the PB, before buying one, extensively), gave his/her opinion about fingerprints.

There isn't any comparison on the two machines. One is a Honda, and the other is a Mercedes. And, it just so happens that the Mercedes is less expensive than the Honda. There is almost NOTHING you could use to say the PB is superior, except for the included case, and the ability to us flash storage. Everything else isn't even close.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:21 PM   #58
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Why are people touting Sonys in a Pocketbook thread?

Having said that, I love my PB360 and one of the main things I love is the way I can organise it to my hearts content. How does the Sony file structure work? It is user operated or Sony operated?

To me, that's the selling point. Now, I'm being serious, not a smart ass, I really have no clue about Sonys.

ETA: Just noticed that it doesn't support HTML, which puts it out of the market for me. I have thousands of HTML files that I won't be converting.

Last edited by IndecisiveMe; 04-19-2011 at 08:29 PM.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:48 PM   #59
Yar-PocketBooker
Fanatic
Yar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animalsYar-PocketBooker is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: PocketBooks and Onyxes and anything E-Ink...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey330 View Post

Please, please, please, Pocketbook. Don't muck up the PB360!

Marilyn
I've been told by US reps of PB that they are not going to change a single thing on PB360, except adding wi-fi... and *probably* making large buttons a little softer, make the clicking sound go (though I love it as it is)...
Yar-PocketBooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad View Post
Fingerprints are the result of action of our eccrine glands which leave sweat marks, mostly water and salt, on any screen types. To deny that is infantile.
And yes, I have used Sony readers, I just don't like them (or Sony, for that matter, a freedom hating company which actually installed rootkits and backdoors on computers until they got caught).
But hey, if you don't see fingerstains on your Sony, that's great. To each its own. Just don't tell me about a) physics-defying miracles b) what kind of readers I have or have not tried, ok?
So you are telling me what I see or do not see on MY 650? I just finished reading about 50 pages with my 650 and when I look at the screen, I actually see more spots then fingerprints. The process of why we see fingerprints is irrelevant to what we actually see on the matt finish eink screen. What is relevant is what we actually see. And yes, every so often, it does need a screen clean. But that's not an issue really. Even my 505 needed a screen clean and it didn't have a touch screen.

Freedom hating company? That's slander. You don't have to like Sony. But that's no reason for slander.

You say you've used Sony Readers before. Having owned/used most Sony Reader 6" models, I can say the x50 line is definitely different enough to the previous ones to say they don't really matter when checking out the x50 line. Have you used any of the x50 line?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote