Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-25-2007, 03:21 AM   #1
Michael
Michael will become famous soon enoughMichael will become famous soon enoughMichael will become famous soon enoughMichael will become famous soon enoughMichael will become famous soon enoughMichael will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook
[Bookeen] Official answer for battery and some general information

Hello everyone,

There have been some questions around the battery and some speculations weither it was replaceable or not.

The battery is buit-in and replaceable. You have to unscrew one screw and open a small compartment which contains the Li-Polymer battery cell. This cell is connected to the device through a 2 wires connector.
You just need to unplug the connector to distach the battery from the device in order to replace it.

In first step, we will not propose spare battery for sale but we will certainly do it in the future.

Concerning the formats, Bookeen's philosophy is
  1. to support as much formats as possible (both encrypted and unencrypted) in a native way (no conversion)
  2. to keep the device simple.

The Cybook will support one encrypted format and other open formats.

Concerning the navigation button, we have tried to keep a very simple and intuitive interface with an accessible control (on the front and not on the side as with the last Cybook). Our main concern is speed, our average speed is clearly above other devices and we try our best to make the interface even more reactive (Vizplex helps a lot).

Concerning images, we have implemented a very good dithering algorithm which renders an astonishing image quality.

When connected to a host machine through a standard mini-USB cable, the Cybook is seen as an external mass storage device. You just need to drag and drop your files in the device memory and you can start reading.

Mor info are to come concerning especially the format support, the release date and final price.

Best regards to all of you,

Michael Dahan
Bookeen
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:19 AM   #2
miguel
miguel began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten E
Hello Michael,

I am new to this forum but I am a passive observer for some time now. A few weeks ago I signed in for being informed on the development of the NAEB reader. As far as I know this was to be developed by Bookeen. What we experience now is that a new Cybook is about to take off. At the same time, information on how the NAEB reader is making headway is sparse. Am I right to assume that eventually the NAEB reader will be the new Cybook? I wouldn't mind that at all!

Michael
miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2007, 05:34 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
From what I read on the Baen forum, the NAEDB is going ahead in addition to the Cybook. The NAEB won't have DRM. That will be the main difference. So if you want to purchase a book you can only get with DRM, you can't. So unless the NAEB does something different enough to warrant being 100% DRMless, I'd go with the Cybook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:39 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
From what I read on the Baen forum, the NAEDB is going ahead in addition to the Cybook. The NAEB won't have DRM. That will be the main difference. So if you want to purchase a book you can only get with DRM, you can't. So unless the NAEB does something different enough to warrant being 100% DRMless, I'd go with the Cybook.
Jon,

Derek from NEAB clarified this a couple of days ago. The NAEB device will have support for whatever DRM formats the standard CyBook does (probably Mobipocket). The "no DRM" stuff on the NAEB web site simply means that it won't add any new DRM format to the world.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:26 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yeah, you and 199 of your friends. Bookeen doesn't sell devices retail, they sell them wholesale. Otherwise NAEB would just send people there instead of being a middle-man.

Bookeen may start selling this device retail. If they do, I'll buy direct.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2007, 06:27 AM   #6
miguel
miguel began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten E
Hello Jon and Harry,

thanks for this clarification. Nevertheless, I would be curious to get a statement from the NAEB people about what's the point in pursuing a parallel development of a reader with (presumably) very similar - if not identical - specs and about the same price? Of course, they most likely did not know in advance that a new Cybook was on the home stretch.

Michael
miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:43 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Yeah, you and 199 of your friends. Bookeen doesn't sell devices retail, they sell them wholesale.
I don't believe that you're correct in saying that.

Bookeen certainly sold the older CyBook retail - I have one myself. In fact the only way to buy an older CyBook was directly from Bookeen - they had no "resellers".

Their newsletter says that subscribers will be informed when the new device is available to order.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:50 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would love to hear an official statement from the NAEB camp on what is actually going to be different between their version of the Cybook.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:58 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's a different colour - white, as opposed to the standard black.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:24 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Concerning the navigation button, we have tried to keep a very simple and intuitive interface with an accessible control (on the front and not on the side as with the last Cybook). Our main concern is speed, our average speed is clearly above other devices and we try our best to make the interface even more reactive (Vizplex helps a lot).

Concerning images, we have implemented a very good dithering algorithm which renders an astonishing image quality.
Michael, would you mind leaking a short video clip to us to show the Cybook in action?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:50 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Better yet, would you mind leaking a production unit to me and I'll review it?
Old 06-25-2007, 09:11 AM   #12
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
Tsk, leak the unit to me of course ;-)
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:49 AM   #13
Telurio
Telurio began at the beginning.

Device: WAITING...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Best regards to all of you,

Michael Dahan
Bookeen
Hello from Spain.This is my first post here and I hope you understand to me because my English is poor.
I have a question for you Michael.Cybook will read RAR files for comics?.I tell you this because that is the "STANDARD" on PC with programs to read those how CDISPLAY.

Thanks and sorry by my bad english
Telurio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:07 AM   #14
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telurio View Post
Hello from Spain.This is my first post here and I hope you understand to me because my English is poor.
I have a question for you Michael.Cybook will read RAR files for comics?.I tell you this because that is the "STANDARD" on PC with programs to read those how CDISPLAY.

Thanks and sorry by my bad english
RAR is just like ZIP: compressed files. Uncompress those before using them...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:20 AM   #15
Lov2Read
Book Connoisseur
Lov2Read is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader 505
Available?

Forgive me if this information has already been given and I just missed it, but when is the Cybook going on sale?

I want one!
Lov2Read is offline   Reply With Quote