Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-24-2007, 02:28 AM   #1
smoogle
That dude with the thing
smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad
Replacement for Notes

I'm looking for a scribble/note-taking program, either on Linux (so I can port), or already ported; firstly:

Issues with current notes:
1) No easy way to tag notes ala OneNote, or move between folders/make new folders.
2) Templates are crude.
3) When you write originally, it looks great, then when you save the note or switch pages it loses this detail and gets aliased.

#3 is the big one for me, as my writing is small when shorthand, and it's perfectly readable- BEFORE you switch pages...
smoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 06:22 AM   #2
BACbKA
мокрец
BACbKA began at the beginning.

Device: palm, iliad
OCR! OCR! OCR!
BACbKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Plus, notes are slow... slow to open, slow to create a new page, slow to turn pages... and I'd like OCR/HWR too.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:29 PM   #4
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I've never used any linux based note taking apps. I'll have to look to see what's out there...

Edit: Xournal looks like a decent app. http://xournal.sourceforge.net/

It seems quick on my desktop, and creates a new page instantly. It saves in a non-standard format, but you can also export to PDF.

After I'm done with my current project, I'll give it a try.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:20 PM   #5
smoogle
That dude with the thing
smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.smoogle once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad
OCR would be cool, but in the interests of speed/usability; it *must* be optional - i'll have a look at this Xournal thing too.
smoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I have not used either one extensively, but on the PepperPad Jarnal seems to be more popular than Xournal. Jarnal is a Java application, so it may not be an option for the iLiad (yet?).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:38 AM   #7
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
It should be noted that is the Xournal page there is a patch for calibration and rotation of the linuxwacom driver:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xournal page
A patch for calibration and rotation issues in the linuxwacom driver version 0.7.0: the patch file for the linuxwacom source code (also included with the Xournal distribution), and the patched binaries for the X.org X server.
(obsolete)
That should aid in the supporting of calibration of the iliad wacom. Hope irex deliver soon the flashing procedure to be able to tinker with the xserver ;-).
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 05:16 AM   #8
narve
iLiad fan
narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.narve can teach chickens to fly.

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft
I have not used either one extensively, but on the PepperPad Jarnal seems to be more popular than Xournal. Jarnal is a Java application, so it may not be an option for the iLiad (yet?).
It could be, depends on how it is written (I haven't tried it). It requires java 1.4, which is what iRex should provide "soon", but it depends on which libraries it uses.

If I have some spare time, whenever iRex releases the Java VM I will give it a shot.
narve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:33 AM   #9
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Xournal works pretty well. It's quick as well on the iLiad once it launches. Creating a new page is fast as well. Export to PDF also works.

The problem, as I suspected, is in the screen refreshes. Right now, the line will only appear after you finish drawing it. To be really useful, it should appear as you write. I'll digg into the code and see what I can do.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:20 AM   #10
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are so cool.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:44 AM   #11
hudson
Stunt Programmer
hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.hudson has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS500, Treo 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica
Hope irex deliver soon the flashing procedure to be able to tinker with the xserver ;-).
You don't need to wait for them to setup any sort of reflashing utility to play with the Xserver. If you install my "unbrickable" (not 100%, but close) startup script to enable the wired ethernet and dropbear sshd at boot time you can change out xservers without worry about losing access to the device.

I have my own Kdrive server up and running, but have not made any progress on the Wacom driver due to other priorities at work.
hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:50 AM   #12
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

I've been doing some digging around for handwriting recognition on Linux, and I'm not finding anything. Has anyone else had better luck?

I even wrote to Vision Objects, since they have obviously ported some of their stuff to Linux on the iLiad, but they sent a note saying they only support windows. This is patently untrue, but I don't see any point in arguing with them.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:52 AM   #13
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudson
You don't need to wait for them to setup any sort of reflashing utility to play with the Xserver. If you install my "unbrickable" (not 100%, but close) startup script to enable the wired ethernet and dropbear sshd at boot time you can change out xservers without worry about losing access to the device.

I have my own Kdrive server up and running, but have not made any progress on the Wacom driver due to other priorities at work.
The problem is that I'm not the only one that uses the iliad (my wife uses it too), and I prefer not to risk even that little O:-).
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote