Old 06-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
triffids
BookWorm
triffids began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader (1st generation)
Kobo eReader syncing problems

Hi folks,

Mucho Kobo eReader weirdness ...

I ran into problems after trying to load an epub I purchased from Kobo books. I tried load the file onto my Kobo eReader, but after transfer (via Adobe Digital Editions on my Mac) the device froze on the "Please wait while your Kobo eReader processes new content". The progress bar did not advance beyond about 15%. A reset via a paperclip in the back was required. I tried again, had a similar freeze, but the new book finally appeared in the eReader library after the reset. Every time I plugged in my Kobo eReader afterwards, I had problems after ejecting the device with the same freezing and reset required. Kobo support suggested I'd need to return the device, which I'm not thrilled about.

It's outside the 30-day return period, so I figured I'd just cope for a little while (carrying a paper clip at all times!) while I visited my parents. My mom has a Kobo eReader, too. I tried hooking up my eReader with her ADE (on a PC, running Vista) to see if I still had problems after hooking up to another computer. This time, after ejecting, my device operated normally (without need for paper-clip reset).

Unfortunately ... we also tried hooking up my mother's device with my computer. Now *she* has the problems I had (and hooking it up with her own PC hasn't fixed them the way it seemed to fix mine). I'm feeling pretty awful about this!

So ... is there something wrong with my ADE? My computer? Anyone else have anything similar to this happen? Advice?
triffids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
Dallador
Dallador began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Ereader
The only issue I can think of is that the Kobo is simply taking a long time to sync. While most books take 5-10 seconds to sync, occasionally one takes a few minutes. If you sync multiple books at once and it seems to freeze, it might simply be loading one book slowly.

The trouble with reseting the device when this happens is that the database will become partially corrupted; and the device will attempt to re-sync next time you unplug it even if no new books are added.

My advice would be to give the Kobo ten minutes next time it appears to freeze while syncing. I've had mine finally finish after seven minutes on occasion.

Hope this helps
Dallador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
maxwelledison
maxwelledison began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I let mine sit overnight and found it totally locked up. After resetting there were NO books on the device. And Kobo have yet to get back to me with a satisfactory answer, other than a corrupt koboreader.sqlite file, which they wouldn't replace because they said it was 'too big to email'.

max...
maxwelledison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #4
Dallador
Dallador began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Ereader
Not sure what's wrong then, but you can download the database containing all the preloaded books. Here is a link to the torrent, alternatively just search for

Kobo_db.zip

http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/1...ip?tab=summary
(All credit to Corona's post)

I used this package myself after reformatting my device without a backup, just copied over the contents and my Kobo was brand new. The file is 75mb, so a little large for most email clients.

Good Luck
Dallador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
fred_yu_job
Connoisseur
fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.fred_yu_job has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelledison View Post
I let mine sit overnight and found it totally locked up. After resetting there were NO books on the device. And Kobo have yet to get back to me with a satisfactory answer, other than a corrupt koboreader.sqlite file, which they wouldn't replace because they said it was 'too big to email'.

max...
'too big to email'...I laughed, sorry.
fred_yu_job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:30 AM   #6
flexnib
flexnib began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Sony PRS-T2, PRS 950, PRS 350
Triffids, did you eventually solve the problem with your Kobo? I had the same problem after I loaded a few ebooks on to mine (using Calibre).

Initially I thought this was a problem with one of the epub files, so I deleted the book - problem was still there. Deleted ALL the epub files on the reader - still hanging.

Finally, in desperation I looked at the drive - noticed there were still four epubs (or remnants of these) on the Kobo. (They did not show up in Calibre or ADE.) I guess the Kobo was trying to process these files and failing, as they were corrupted. I deleted them and voila! Kobo processing is going as expected again.
flexnib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Not related to original problem, but I could confirm that
processing takes some time. I upgraded to 1.4 and mounted
to home box. Copied books to device. After unmounting and
removing the usb cable, it took almost an hour to make db.
I see no problem so far. the only thing is that I will not add
anything soon.
Would be interesting to know how long is process for other
users.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
triffids
BookWorm
triffids began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader (1st generation)
An update ...
A full reset fixed things for Mom (yay!), and I haven't experienced any problems lately with my Kobo. After the "fix", I switched over to using a PC for managing my eReader (I use ADE and Calibre), and I upgraded to the new firmware version as soon as it was available. Keeping fingers crossed that things continue to run smoothly ...
triffids is offline   Reply With Quote