Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 07:11 PM   #61
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
So it's very possible that we will see inexpensive eBook readers with more expensive eBooks.
Thanks to the 5 Agency Model publishers, we've been seeing more expensive eBooks since 4/1.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #62
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Go B&N! Those are pretty good price points for the Nook! Go, go, go!
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:14 PM   #63
fafaforza
Zealot
fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.fafaforza is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Aura ONE
Good to see them dropping the price, but I would still wait for the new eInk screens to hit the market. They should have much better contrast, and since I'm happy with my PRS-505, I can wait.

Still, not a bad price for getting one now and upgrading in mid 2011.
fafaforza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #64
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Just got an announcement from Barnes and Noble.

http://tinyurl.com/25rtqm5
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:37 PM   #65
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthV View Post
Sony has been selling the prs-600 for $180 here in Canada, so it's not just Amazon putting pressure on. Either way, it's good news
Really? As far as I can see, the PRS-600 Touch edition is $249 in Canada at Sonystyle and the same price at Best Buy ... even the miniscule 5" reader from Sony is well over $200 with taxes ... it seems to me that, at $189, Amazon's Kindle has created an entirely new price point / value point for Canadians.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:48 PM   #66
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The market has made it clear it values wireless more than it values touch screens.
This is an interesting point. Which with I happen to agree.

An e-reader, unlike a multi-media device like an iPad or Android follow-on, is primarily used in "local" mode, not "surfing" mode. That is, for e-reader content, give me the content, and then I can snuggle up with it for a few hours or days. How different from the ADD world of the iPad user.

Kindle's 3G is all the more visionary in this context: 3G just works, and just works everywhere -- at minimum, delivering new content. WiFi -- not so much. WiFi requires conditional access, and pass codes, and complications. Yes, at hoe, it's easy ... but on the road? Not so much.

An e-reader is about reading: to paraphrase Shakespeare -- the screen's the thing. Who gives a whit about touch? Make the screen readable and portable and full of longevity and light-weight: Android-y nether-world screens hardly matter.

To say nothing of: Ola! There is a world of readers outside of the 48 contiguous United States ... Barnes and Noble has not yet figured that out, it seems.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 06-21-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #67
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Really? As far as I can see, the PRS-600 Touch edition is $249 in Canada at Sonystyle and the same price at Best Buy ... even the miniscule 5" reader from Sony is well over $200 with taxes ... it seems to me that, at $189, Amazon's Kindle has created an entirely new price point / value point for Canadians.
The 5" has been onsale for under $150 a few times lately in the US. Not sure about Canada or other countries.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #68
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
This is an interesting point. Which with I happen to agree.

An e-reader, unlike a multi-media device like an iPad or Android follow-on, is primarily used in "local" mode, not "surfing" mode. That is, for e-reader content, give me the content, and then I can snuggle up with it for a few hours or days. How different from the ADD world of the iPad user.

Kindle's 3G is all the more visionary in this context: 3G just works, and just works everywhere -- at minimum, delivering new content. WiFi -- not so much. WiFi requires conditional access, and pass codes, and complications. Yes, at hoe, it's easy ... but on the road? Not so much.

An e-reader is about reading: to paraphrase Shakespeare -- the screen's the thing. Who gives a whit about touch? Make the screen readable and portable and full of longevity and light-weight: Android-y nether-world screens hardly matter.

To say nothing of: Ola! There is a world of readers outside of the 48 contiguous United States ... Barnes and Noble has not yet figured that out, it seems.

how is wi fi difficult on the road, some are automatic/seamless connections, others all you have to do is click "I Agree" and others that you have to pay all you do is put in the access code and password.

I'm not being snarky but it's not exactly rocket science. And you have to remember Whispernet is not available everywhree and either is 3G, yes it's exanding but there are parts of the country that still don't get it, and almost all hotels and resorts etc will offer wi fi

Wi fi overall is the better connection and the most widely supported. And now the Nook has Free At&T Wi Fi meaning it's a seamless connectin in areas that want to charge you.

IMHO the Nook with wi fi and 3G trumps whispernet and 3G
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #69
SensualPoet
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Especially when the low end iPad is $499. And I'm sure some of the Android and other competing tablets that come out will be even less.
I have yet to meet anyone who actually paid $499 for an iPad. They start at $629 for 3G -- without USB, with only 16 GB storage -- which is enough for about 2 HD movies and absolutely nothing else. Plus, the 3G adds a minimum of $180/yr for a scant 250 MB/mth -- enough for abt 7 min of an HD movie. Yup -- seven minutes. For those keeping track, a month has 43,000+ minutes.

The sweet spot seems to be 32GB with 3G -- or over $900 in the first year in charges to Apple and AT&T, just to turn it on.

I really don't believe that a $259 Kindle 2 -- sorry, make that a $189 Kindle 2 -- has any problem "competing".
Old 06-21-2010, 10:35 PM   #70
SensualPoet
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
The 5" has been onsale for under $150 a few times lately in the US. Not sure about Canada or other countries.
The 5" Sony is not the PRS-600 Touch Edition and it does not offer anywhere near the same screen size, dictionary, text-to-speech, 3G, social networking or bookstore breadth of the Kindle at $189.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:43 PM   #71
SensualPoet
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
how is wi fi difficult on the road, some are automatic/seamless connections, others all you have to do is click "I Agree" and others that you have to pay all you do is put in the access code and password.

I'm not being snarky but it's not exactly rocket science. And you have to remember Whispernet is not available everywhree and either is 3G, yes it's exanding but there are parts of the country that still don't get it, and almost all hotels and resorts etc will offer wi fi

Wi fi overall is the better connection and the most widely supported. And now the Nook has Free At&T Wi Fi meaning it's a seamless connectin in areas that want to charge you.

IMHO the Nook with wi fi and 3G trumps whispernet and 3G
Really. Amazon's 3G requires no password ever -- it simply works -- how is that more complicated than conditional access wifi? I did not need to enter "x8Fkj47Kkch" to start reading a new book while on the beach.

I happened to be traveling in Mexico between Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara on a bus last winter ... for 5 hours, I might add ... and my Kindle 2 advised me of all the local details via Wikipedia of each town we drove through ... WiFi? Not so much. Plus, even with 3G access, I still had a full two weeks of usage of my Kindle 2 without a single recharge -- and I read on the plane to Mexico, the plane home; and every day at the hotel and on the beach.

And not for a moment did I feel my life was impoverished without access to a touch screen to turn the pages ....

Last edited by SensualPoet; 06-21-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:55 PM   #72
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Really. Amazon's 3G requires no password ever -- it simply works -- how is that more complicated than conditional access wifi? I did not need to enter "x8Fkj47Kkch" to start reading a new book while on the beach.

I happened to be traveling in Mexico between Puerto Vallarta and Guadalajara on a bus last winter ... for 5 hours, I might add ... and my Kindle 2 advised me of all the local details via Wikipedia of each town we drove through ... WiFi? Not so much. Plus, even with 3G access, I still had a full two weeks of usage of my Kindle 2 without a single recharge -- and I read on the plane to Mexico, the plane home; and every day at the hotel and on the beach.

And not for a moment did I feel my life was impoverished without access to a touch screen to turn the pages ....
Don't know what to tell ya, the nook has 3G as well and I don't know why wi fi is a difficult chore for you , it really is fairly basic.

but to each his own. All I'm just saying is since both the Kindle and the Nook have 3G they cancel each other out. and to me if I had to choose between wi fi or whispernet, Wi Fi everytime, No question.

but you perfer whispernet and that's cool
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:57 PM   #73
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
I have yet to meet anyone who actually paid $499 for an iPad. They start at $629 for 3G -- without USB, with only 16 GB storage -- which is enough for about 2 HD movies and absolutely nothing else. Plus, the 3G adds a minimum of $180/yr for a scant 250 MB/mth -- enough for abt 7 min of an HD movie. Yup -- seven minutes. For those keeping track, a month has 43,000+ minutes.

The sweet spot seems to be 32GB with 3G -- or over $900 in the first year in charges to Apple and AT&T, just to turn it on.

I really don't believe that a $259 Kindle 2 -- sorry, make that a $189 Kindle 2 -- has any problem "competing".

I know 2 people with the $499 model, and my girlfriend has the 32GB wifi only version.

The people with the 16GB models just use it to surf the web, watch streaming video and do some reading so they didn't need space--my g/f would have probably been fine with it as well as I don't see here every putting video on it vs. streaming it.

3G isn't needed at all unless you travel a lot. My g/f and I are around wifi hotspots all the time pretty much. Point being, don't be an ass and generalize your needs to everyone. Not everyone drives to Mexico etc.--most of us spent nearly all our time at home and work and always have WiFi access and don't care about internet access when out and about.

I want a tablet for reading big PDFs, being able to flip through documents quickly which you can't do on slow ass e-ink etc.

That said, I'll probably keep my Kindle 1 for novel reading. Not sure I'd replace it after buying a tablet it broke though.

Quote:
The 5" Sony is not the PRS-600 Touch Edition and it does not offer anywhere near the same screen size, dictionary, text-to-speech, 3G, social networking or bookstore breadth of the Kindle at $189.

Sure, but if someone just wants to simply read novels, the 5" sony is a great cheap option.

I like my Kindle, but I'd be fine with the simple Sony reader as well since I don't do anything but read novels on it and pretty much never use the dictionary etc. I'm miss the wireless though as it would be bit of a pain to have to hook up to the PC to load books on the 5" Sony.

But in any case, I was just commenting on the price per your post where you said you hadn't seen the 5" Sony for under $200, so not so sure why you're being so damn defensive and antagonistic.

Kindle fanboy/e-ink diehard I take it? In any case, chill out and quit being so defensive over nerdy e-reader devices! I love my Kindle 1, and agree the K2 is a steal at $189 and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a dedicated reader for sure.

But moot for me as I don't know many who read (even with pretty much all my friends being fellow academics!) and they all want iPads or something similar and have no interest in e-readers.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 06-22-2010 at 12:02 AM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:02 AM   #74
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
3G is pretty much pointless for me, which is why it is so nice to be able to save 40-50 dollars on the wifi nook. I have never ever need to buy a book in the middle of nowhere.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:18 AM   #75
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Just placed an order for the $149 nook Wi-Fi. 3G doesn't matter for me, either, since none of the nook's goodies are available over here, anyway.

I had been all set to get the Aluratek Libre for $120 from Borders, but I think $149 for the nook makes it the best overall value of any e-reader. I've always liked it, but didn't want to spend $259 for it (or any other reader). But this price was just irresistable.

Can't wait till get it...
afa is offline   Reply With Quote