Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-13-2010, 06:03 PM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Intel on Tablets: "Stay tuned for Computex"

From CNET:

"... An Intel executive's brandishing of a tablet design on Tuesday means rivals to the Apple iPad are a certainty.

And the first serious Intel-based designs will show up at Computex in June. "People ask me, are you serious about trying to participate in the tablet market? The answer is yes...The message is stay tuned for Computex," Intel Vice President Mooly Eden, who heads the chipmaker's client group, said at the Intel investor meeting on Tuesday. ...
"

Bring them on....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Can't wait to see what rolls out.

Hopefully we see a break from tablets that are 16x9 with 7-9" screens which seem the norm currently with the WeTab, Archos and others.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:08 AM   #3
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
I'm curious about the HP "Hurricane" (HP's webOS powered replacement for the Slate).
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:32 AM   #4
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
It would be great to see a family of devices w/ a variety of screen sizes, say:

5" (pocketable)
7" (agenda / calendar replacement)
12" (full-size reader almost able to show a letter size or A4 sheet at 100%)

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
I am very excited about this myself, I am in the market and have the money ready. Bring on the tablets!
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Why do I have this odd feeling we're just going to see a flood of mediocre devices with bad designs and 5-hour batteries?
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #7
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I'm looking forward to lots of tablet development and will switch from iPad if something significantly better emerges for my uses.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:32 PM   #8
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post

5" (pocketable)

William
That would be ideal, and the latter is all I want as marking up A4 documents is my main need. All the other stuff is just gravy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Why do I have this odd feeling we're just going to see a flood of mediocre devices with bad designs and 5-hour batteries?
Because first gen gadgets usually suck?

That said, the Google Tablet is the one I'm keeping my eye on. If anyone can match design, battery life etc. of the iPad it's Google IMO.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #9
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
I'm not really interested in Intel's Atom tablets, I have to admit. The Tegra2-based ones should have far longer battery life, and I'm looking at Android/Linux rather than Windows for my tablet, ty.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #10
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
I'm not really interested in Intel's Atom tablets, I have to admit. The Tegra2-based ones should have far longer battery life, and I'm looking at Android/Linux rather than Windows for my tablet, ty.
I've never even considered an Atom product before, but the new Intel Atom Z6xx series is a different animal altogether.

It promises both power and power savings. And it doesn't even support Windows (initially), but only Android.

Check out this article: Snapdragon Killer? Intel’s Atom Z6 CPUs to Target Smart Phones, Tablets

"... The new CPUs offer strong improvements in endurance, even when using a battery with the same capacity as a standard BlackBerry battery. According to Intel, Atom Z6xx chips achieve:

* 10 days or more of idle power (50x previous Atom CPUs). Intel defines idle as any time a device is on but not in active use. So a phone that periodically gets push e-mail would still be considered idle.
* 2 days (48 hours) of continuous audio playback.
* 5 hours of continuous video playback...."
Old 05-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #11
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
It does seem like battery life could be an area where compromises might be made in order to keep the weight of win7 devices low enough, but as long as they remain competitive with netbooks that should be good enough for most people and won't automatically mean they are bad devices since they will be gaining expansion ports etc. as compensation.

The crucial thing they will have to get right is the performance of these devices, getting that wrong will obviously have a more immediate negative effect on somebody's opinion of a device than the relative listed battery lifes.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #12
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post

5" (pocketable)
Given the attention already generated by the ipad, you have to assume that any range of devices will be more like:

5-6" (ebook alternative)
9-10" (ipad alternative)
11.3-12" (match for largest netbook screens)
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #13
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
It does seem like battery life could be an area where compromises might be made in order to keep the weight of win7 devices low enough....
See my post regarding the new Atom Z6.

Windows will NOT be an option initially, but only Android.

The battery life numbers put forward by Intel are pretty impressive, IMO.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard

Yeah, I think the best hope for true iPad competitors for now will be Android. Maybe WebOS or Google's Chrome OS.

Battery tech has a long way to go to get to 10 hours with a full os like Windows without being big, heavy and hot running.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:37 PM   #15
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Personally, I am willing to sacrifice some battery life to have Windows 7 on a tablet/slate. My Samsung netbook will run a solid 7 or 8 hours, I would be okay with 6 hours on a tablet/slate if I can have Windows 7.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote