Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
PB302 vs. Bebook Neo/Onyx Boox

Greetings,

I will likely be selling my Kindle DX soon (it's a really nice reader, but I I like to take my reading with me on my walks and hikes and it's just to big for that purpose). I like the idea of the device being independent of the computer, so wifi and/or bluetooth is a must. I also like the touch screen; I miss the one on my old Sony 700. I have a PB360 and like the firmware but I am intrigued by the WACOM screen of the Neo/Boox. I like the idea of having touch-screen functionality with no degradation in screen quality. On the other hand, the USB host feature of the 302 is very intriguing as is the bluetooth so that I can tether with my cell phone. I like PDF handling on my 360, so I assume the 302 will be good as well. Despite this, I here that the Neo/Boox is probably the best 6 incher when it comes to PDF, what with its box and zoom feature. One feature which really hurts the Boox/Neo is that it doesn't have a post for a wrist strap. Is there any way around this (i.e. via the cover?)

Can y'all help me decide?

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
The PB 302 is a resistive touch screen not wacom. One thing that PocketBook does have that Onyx does not for PDFs is that column zoom which is really nice. Its a really hard choice.

PocketBook has a fuller implementation of FBReader allowing you more choices with regards to line spacing etc etc.

But wacom vs resistive.....

both are very good units. tough choice.

I don't remember the 302 have a wrist strap?

Im with you on the wifi/ bluetooth. I absolutely use it with the Boox all the time to get new stuff to read. in my opiniion having this sort of connection is superior to 3g mainly because the way 3g is used to tie you to a specific source.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 03-17-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The 302 comfort package is listed as coming with a wrist strap, so I would assume that there is a way to attach it. Unless, of course, this is a mistake.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Despite this, I here that the Neo/Boox is probably the best 6 incher when it comes to PDF, what with its box and zoom feature.
Luqman
Are you sure that Onyx handles PDFs better than Sony PRS600 (or PRS900) ? Are you really really really sure?
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geppetto View Post
Are you sure that Onyx handles PDFs better than Sony PRS600 (or PRS900) ? Are you really really really sure?
I believe Nate said as much. For one thing, the zoom is persistent, so I would not have to adjust it on each page like I had to on the 700. The Onyx also has a clearer display which will make it easier to make out tinier print.

Luqman
Old 03-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
There's no need to zoom on a PRS600: you can easily read a A4 document on landscape mode
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

Quote:
There's no need to zoom on a PRS600: you can easily read a A4 document on landscape mode
I would beg to differ, based on my experiences with the 700; the pdf rendering software is essentially the same. It was doable but it wasn't pretty. Persistent zoom was something that I wanted when I had the 700 (the PB360 already has it).

Luqman
Old 03-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Well... how old are you?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:03 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I have both machines (well, a Neo, but it's the same as the Onyx); the PDF handling on the Neo is significantly better than the Sony.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #10
Lindca2
Lindca2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wifi, Cybook Gen 3
I also am in the market for a new reader and am trying to decide between the Boox/Neo vs. some of the Pocketbook models (302, 602, 603). I have a few questions for those who are familiar with any of them:

1. Will all the Pocketbook models allow you to choose from multiple fonts and have a large range (?12) of font sizes? How do these compare with the Boox? Can you embolden the text to improve visibility/contrast? These are some of the features I particularly like on my Cybook Gen 3.

2. How do books show up in the library view for each? Do they include cover images? How many books show per "page"? Is there folder support?

3. Do all these models offer easy-access bookmarking?

4. What information shows on the screen when you are within the text of a book? Name and author of book? Page numbers vs. completion bar? Residual battery life?

5. What are the relative advantages/disadvantages of resistive vs. wacom screens and will the new matte screens on the Pocketbook 302/602 make the text visibility/clarity more comparable to the Boox?

6. What are the relative advantages/disadvantages of wifi vs. 3G vs. bluetooth? How would you use the USB on the 302?

Thanks for any help!
Lindca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #11
Alianne
Alianne began at the beginning.

Device: Plastic Logic's Que
I'm also trying to decide between these two readers. My biggest concern is their highlighting/underlining capabilities. I'll be using it on readings for class (not a lot of PDF) probably html or doc format. Which one of them handles highlighting better?
Alianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #12
valcho
Enthusiast
valcho is on a distinguished road

Device: JetBook Lite
Same here.
Here are the things which a pros for me in both devices:
PB302:
1. Bluetooth (maybe it can be used to connect to internet via your cell phone), in this case no need of built in 3G)
2. You can use your fingers to enter the text.
3. You can attach a wrist strap

Boox 60/BeBook Neo:
1. Faster processor
2. More RAM - 128 MB instead of 64MB
3. Wacom gives a better quality input with the stylus but this is just a reader, not a tablet, so I think this is not so important

Probably PB602 will have faster processor and more RAM and in this case it will be a winner ...
valcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:25 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by valcho View Post
3. Wacom gives a better quality input with the stylus but this is just a reader, not a tablet, so I think this is not so important
It can be very important for such things as text annotation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #14
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
I loved my PocketBook device so much that I became a reseller of PocketBooks. If you decide to buy any of PocketBook models in the USA or Canada - please write me directly and I can help you to join the club of PocketBook owners

http://pocketbook.reader-ebook.org - my site (I have also Comfort packages available if you are interested, they are not added to the site yet)
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:11 AM   #15
valcho
Enthusiast
valcho is on a distinguished road

Device: JetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpupsik View Post
I loved my PocketBook device so much that I became a reseller of PocketBooks. If you decide to buy any of PocketBook models in the USA or Canada - please write me directly and I can help you to join the club of PocketBook owners

http://pocketbook.reader-ebook.org - my site (I have also Comfort packages available if you are interested, they are not added to the site yet)

Hi tvpupsik,

Most likely I'll wait for PB 602 which should come in April. I hope it will have faster processor and more RAM, and of course matte screen.

Cheers!
valcho is offline   Reply With Quote