Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-20-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
B&N ebooks still more expensive than Kindle. Will they lower prices?

So the Nook definitely takes the cake over the Kindle as far as the device goes but I think I may have been caught up in the hype... After doing a random sampling of books I've found that amazon almost always has significantly lower prices on books that aren't on the New York Times Bestseller List.

For example

Gates of Fire
Kindle: $6.39
Nook: $7.99

The Unforgiving Minute: A Soldier's Education
Kindle: $9.99
Nook: $14.99

Sookie Stackhouse Set
Kindle: $29.90
Nook: $51.13

Joker One: A Marine Platoon's Story of Courage, Leadership, and Brotherhood
Nook: $20.80

Kite Runner
Kindle: $9.51
Nook: $11.20

The Big Necessity: The Unmentionable World of Human Waste and Why It Matters
Nook: $9.99

The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives
Nook: $12.00

Do you think that B&N will lower their prices to match or is this the price of their ebooks because they able to be read on multiple devices (pc, mac, bb, iphone, etc)
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Don't know if they'll price match or not. There have been some books the past few months that B&N has been cheaper on and Amazon eventually matched IIRC, don't know if it's happened the other way around.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj1n View Post
Do you think that B&N will lower their prices to match or is this the price of their ebooks because they able to be read on multiple devices (pc, mac, bb, iphone, etc)
I think their prices will drop. Sony's did.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Amazon also still has a LOT more, too
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Amazon also still has a LOT more, too
Actually, we don't really know this to be true. Amazon has a lot of public domain eBooks, self-published eBooks, and topaz eBooks. If we were to take all those out, how many would be left?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #6
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
Well, I kinda found that out when I was still buy pbooks. I got a B&N membership and still my pbooks were much cheaper on Amazon. Eventually, I let the membership lapse and didn't renew. I hope, now that everyone's in the competition to Amazon mode, that the ebooks price will be cheaper overall. One can dreams right?
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #7
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Well, from my own searches (published a while back around here) aside from best seller types B&N had a terrible selection. I used a pretty diverse selection of books - best sellers, non-fiction, random books, etc. Amazon does have a lot of public domain, dupes.. but so does everyone. Most of those million books B&N is reporting, too.

In fact, I think it had the worst (after all the other ebook suppliers.)
Old 10-20-2009, 11:11 PM   #8
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, we don't really know this to be true. Amazon has a lot of public domain eBooks, self-published eBooks, and topaz eBooks. If we were to take all those out, how many would be left?
Not to mention that we don't know how they do their accounting. I understand that they count multiple editions of the same title and we don't know how many duplicates are included in their numbers.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:02 AM   #9
frossie
Geek Herder
frossie is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
All the books I tried also were cheapest on Amazon (then more expensive on B&N and even more expensive in the Sony store). I found the same books in all three stores, so I think selection won't be a problem for me, but price definitely is.

The reason I canceled my world kindle order and ordered the nook basically comes down to the lend-a-friend feature.
frossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:06 AM   #10
juj1n
Connoisseur
juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.juj1n has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Lots!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
I think their prices will drop. Sony's did.
I hope you're right because I'm a bit discouraged right now. I'm actually on the verge of canceling my nook pre order on the basis of the prices on the ebook store. The device might be nicer but I feel like the kindle 3 will mimic most of it's strengths. Cmon B&N don't let me down!
juj1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:35 AM   #11
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

I'd hold my horses, if I had horses to hold. If I didn't already have my Kindle I'd be waiting right now... Either because Apple will come out with something that'll kick everyone's ass (ideally able to use all the existing iphone apps for the Kindle store/B&N store) or because the next Kindle will take these features and do more with them (or just do as good, leaving you with Amazon's prices and selection with a nice device.)

But, one could always sit around waiting, I suppose. I'd still go with the Kindle because I know they have been aggressively adding more books beyond the best sellers and I've had a great experience with it so far.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:06 AM   #12
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Why does everyone think the pending Apple tablet will 'clean house?' if it doesn't have eInk, it will never replace any reader.

Anyhow, I feel B&N will lower prices. If they don t the nook will fail.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #13
llreader
Mesmerist
llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 Silver. Much nicer than I expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
Why does everyone think the pending Apple tablet will 'clean house?' if it doesn't have eInk, it will never replace any reader.
Rumor is that it will use the Pixel Qi transreflective screen, which works in both backlit and reflective mode.

http://thethirdscreen.wordpress.com/...in-six-months/

In reflective mode it would be similar to an eInk screen.
llreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #14
spec2
Enthusiast
spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spec2 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
I suspect they will at least match Amazon. They have to is they want to compete w/ the Kindle. Curious though that they didn't announce prices yesterday. I would think that would be a selling point. Why buy into a system when you don't know how much the content will cost.
spec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:42 PM   #15
vgiridar
vgiridar began at the beginning.

Device: EZReader
Password Protection

All these devices look very attractive but I hesitate to buy just for one reason. Do they have password protection for purchases (Can anyone confirm this for Kindle, Sony Readers). Without password protection, losing a device could mean lot of additional loss besides accidental purchases by random clicks by kids at home. Does any of these devices have a password protection to switch on the device?
vgiridar is offline   Reply With Quote