Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #361
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I am in good shape at the end of July with over 15,000 pages read for the year. I have actually good to go for August too. After a miserable April and May (from a reading perspective only) I have read more since then than any other two month period I can remember. Yay!

I have also discovered that my library has many more e-books available now than they used to and have been putting that to good use. Does anyone know how the hold lists work at Overdrive? I was #188 in the list for World War Z yesterday, today I am number 97! I am concerned that too many of the holds I have will come available at the same time, maybe I need a better time estimate for when things are going to be available. Any thoughts on that? I would hate to wait months for a book only to not be able to get to it when it comes in.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 06:55 AM   #362
Mel-
Mel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo
I'm going to participate as well. I have some reading challenges on my blog, but here I will keep track of my Goodreads challenge: read 110 books. I think I need to make it a bit higher, because I'm already busy with book 91.
Mel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #363
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel- View Post
I'm going to participate as well. I have some reading challenges on my blog, but here I will keep track of my Goodreads challenge: read 110 books. I think I need to make it a bit higher, because I'm already busy with book 91.
I did the same last year, upping my goal from 120 to 150. Looks like you might be on a 150 trajectory yourself this year...
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:28 AM   #364
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
More than half of the year has passed and maybe its time for a little reflections on the results so far.

Here on MR, I have Fantasy decade reading challenge '00 -'10 which consists of 11 books. I read 4 so far. I'm pretty happy about the book choices I made, I discovered and read some of my all time favorites this year. I am not so strict with myself around this challenge and I allow myself to wonder a lot After all, 7 of 11 books I have chosen are first books of the series. I have read other books that followed as well.

My second challenge is reading 30 books this year. According to Goodreads I have read 17 books or 7324 pages. I think that is pretty correct as I pay a lot of attention to logging in correct edition I am reading with correct number of pages.

I'm pretty happy about this year, I'm reading a lot more. For comparison last year I have read only 4527 pages for entire year.

Overall according to Goodreads reading challenge for 2013, I am right on track, yay! :3
And regarding the reading challenge here on MR I think I will make that one too
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #365
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I didn't want to feel pressured to read (rather than listen to the radio, watch TV, play a game) this year, so I only set myself the target of one book a week. I am already 13 books ahead of target, so maybe I could have been a bit more ambitious...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #366
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I didn't want to feel pressured to read (rather than listen to the radio, watch TV, play a game) this year, so I only set myself the target of one book a week. I am already 13 books ahead of target, so maybe I could have been a bit more ambitious...
But then you'd be feeling pressured to read! It seems to me that you've got it right, for you.

I was going to try to buy no more than 120 ebooks this year. So far I've bought 109, so I'm not going to make it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #367
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
At the start of week 33 I've read 30 books, so I'm still a little behind. Maybe this will be the month when I catch up!
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #368
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I had a goal of 50 books, then reset it to 75. I am now one book shy of that already, so considering a new goal of 100 books. I think so far I have read 4 books under 350 pages, so going well page wise.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #369
Mel-
Mel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipseMel- can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I did the same last year, upping my goal from 120 to 150. Looks like you might be on a 150 trajectory yourself this year...
I hope so! I read 110 books last year and that's the most I've ever read. 150 would be awesome.
Mel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #370
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
I'm just logging what I've actually read. No goals set as I hadn't a clue, other than I usually have 2 or 3 books going all the time. But just added up and as of the end of July I'd read 97 books and 20 short stories. Well, when I retired and co-workers asked me what I would find to do, I told them that I had at least 1000 books I wanted to read - I've been retired for 22 yrs, so figuring an average of 150 per yr, that's 3300! Wow. What fun!
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:21 AM   #371
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
But then you'd be feeling pressured to read! It seems to me that you've got it right, for you.

I was going to try to buy no more than 120 ebooks this year. So far I've bought 109, so I'm not going to make it.
I also bought quite a few more books than planned. Personally, I blame the authors and publishers -- they produce too much interesting reads

I am pretty certain I would be way more unhappy if I wouldn't be able to find anything entertaining and interesting to buy/read.
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:50 AM   #372
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've read 74 books so far and although I haven't got an official goal I entered 104 books, two a week, for the Goodreads reading challenge and according to their widget I'm 10 books ahead. Considering I read less books in November and December because it's busy in the store I'd say I'm on schedule at the moment.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #373
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I completed my goal. The rest as they say is "icing on the cake."
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #374
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I guess FBone should aim higher next year.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #375
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I completed my goal. The rest as they say is "icing on the cake."
Congratulations. I think eight months is a reasonable challenge period. I'm having a little difficulty getting through the last two year's of my challenge. I'm going to try to finish Timequake this week so that I'll only have one year left. I keep picking up other things to read though.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote