Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #16
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Darn, seemed like a good idea. Never tried this before. My friend asked me to set it up for her child. Probably not much I can do at this point. Didn't know it would go away.

Any suggestions? She is away for the next week. Maybe I should just de-reg and leave it be?
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #17
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Take it off your amazon account. [Dereg it to you] Take it back to Factory! Charge it. Other wise YOU will be responsible for anything purchsed for it thru amazon! I dont understand what this setting up stuff is. Mine was new out of the box at Radio Shack All I had to do was Reg it into my name Evey ebook & app I owned automaticly was put on it. Your friend needs to pick out apps & ebooks for her child thru the account it will be reg to.

BTW Charging thru wall connection only from DEAD to FULL Charge 2-3 hours I can read with WiFi OFF [airplane] Low back ground lite for 12 Hours Straight! I killed mine a few times watching movies LOL Pre downloaded fully charged wifi off give you about 5 hrs of movie watching. Just to give folks ideas as to power drainage times.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 11-25-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:30 AM   #18
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, when I tried to purchase something, Amazon would not complete the purchase until I authorized the purchase on the device (which I did not do). Amazon sent me an email notification. I really appreciate the security. I will de-register it from my account.

I am considering buying one for myself when I return home to the US in a few weeks - and was very curious about the screen quality, and how useful the device would be while I am in Europe (which is often) - so I was happy to assist my friend. BTW - the device worked exactly as advertised, apps & books download and work fine; no movies, mags, or music available. Love the overall feeling of quality and the screen/speakers! Great value for the money IMHO. Not certain the 7" size works for my uses, may go for the larger model. Haven't side-loaded anything yet.

When I de-register my account Amazon deletes media/apps downloaded from my account (as I understand you). Stupid me that I didn't realize this would happen. But will it leave in media/apps that I side-loaded? Anyone know this? Couldn't find info at Amazon Help. Maybe I'll just try and see.

Unfortunately, no quick wall-charger. I hear it takes a loooong time to charge from a PC.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:39 AM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I didn't bother....I ripped it open first chance I got! I still have to set up Netflix, etc. But I have the free time set up and some apps. It's nice. I'd get a 2nd one if Amazon would run the sale again. ($129)
Go for it! Amazon is running the sale today only. There's a discussion in progress in the Deals Forum.

Cyber Monday Savings

Today only, Kindle Fire is available for only $129 ($30 off).

Quote:
Enter promotional code FIREDEAL at checkout.

Offer valid from 12:01AM PST through 11:59PM PST on 11/26/12, or while supplies last. $30 discount valid on Kindle Fire with Special Offers or Kindle Fire without Special Offers sold and shipped by Amazon. Limit one discount per customer. Offer not valid with 1-Click ordering. If you return items purchased using a promo code, we will subtract the value of the discount from your return credit. Promo codes may not be combined with other offers. Amazon reserves the right to cancel the promotion at any time. Void where prohibited.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:08 AM   #20
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thats the Org Fire [gen 2] Not the HD on sale...
You can Buy Amazon Movies & Download them. Right now I have 4 on my Fire HD. I dont know about Primes in Europe. Also the Electricity is different. But my Fire came with the cord & I had the wall adapter from my K3. Which I found with the K3 runs HOT! With the Fire runs COLD. So I never trusted it with the K3. Fire Never seems to charge on my Laptop.

You plan to take it back to Factory then Yes you lose Everything but the Org apps it came with.

Last edited by Barbara1955; 11-26-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #21
rgeorg
Guru

Katie1:
Let me get this straight - I can use my Kindle 3 (keyboard) or DXG wall charger for the KFHD? Are you certain? Europe electricity is different, but the adapters are rated to include it when I charge the Kindles. I am a bit panicky about doing anything that might harm the unit!

Prime mostly doesn't work from European countries except UK, German, Italy and Spain (if I remember correctly). Only the book part. That's why we didn't mind my using the KFHD for awhile, and starting the 1-month "Prime".

I may just de-reg and not reset to factory and see what that does.
Thanks for your help!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #22
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I can use the wall charger that came with the K3 to charge my Fire here in the USA.... I Dont know about other countries. Dont you need a converter or something anyway? Why not call Amazon & find out if the Fire would work the same where your at With a converter box thingy.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #23
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
Katie1:
Let me get this straight - I can use my Kindle 3 (keyboard) or DXG wall charger for the KFHD? Are you certain? Europe electricity is different, but the adapters are rated to include it when I charge the Kindles. I am a bit panicky about doing anything that might harm the unit!
This is correct. The only time you should really be worried is if the watts is much higher, which in this case isn't. Especially with electronics like tablets and phones, they're all going to have very similar specifications. It has actually been a few years since they forced standards which now allows you to to do this.

I have charged iPhones with the Kindle Keyboard wall plug. I've actually charged my iPad Mini with it too. I have stuck my iPhone USB cord into a Samsung branded wall plug aswell. If you hook up an incompatible cord, for like say a short camera one and it's too weak, it simply won't let you charge or do any file transfers with it.

The only reason they put warnings is because those are the only cords *tested* to work with the device in question, and so that people don't just stick things in because it fits.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:24 AM   #24
rgeorg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
This is correct. The only time you should really be worried is if the watts is much higher, which in this case isn't. Especially with electronics like tablets and phones, they're all going to have very similar specifications. It has actually been a few years since they forced standards which now allows you to to do this.
Great - I charge my two kindles with them when I am in Europe, so I have the adapters. Too bad my friend doesn't have the wall charger. She can always get one when she is in the USA, or I can bring one for her.

I once bought a DVD player from Best Buy and the salesman told me not to worry - well I ruined the charger the first time I tried to charge the thing in Europe. A DVD player is pretty useless with only a car charger! And they were expensive back then.

It's good to know that the chargers that I have are useful. I can probably charge my new Sansa Clip Zip mp3 player from it as well

You all (on MR) have really excellent advice and experience!
I appreciate the help.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:26 AM   #25
rgeorg
Guru

Thanks again for all the information - charged great overnight (in about 5.5 hrs I think) with my KDXG wall charger!

I am still playing - what a lovely device!