Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 08-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
bunodosoma
Connoisseur
bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PE,Novel,Nook Color
Offline Map App on PE

Does anyone know of a good offline map app for the PE that I can store maps on the sd card? I tried to install Mapdroyd several times with no success. I've got Google maps to cache offline but to get down to the resolution and area I want is very time consuming.
And don't tell me to get a gps, I gave my Tomtom away because of various deficiencies. I'd rather just have a map I can easily zoom in and out on. I'd like detail down to a mile or less.
bunodosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
I have Mapdroyd running fine on my PE. Had a little trouble getting it to go on my EE, but finally succeeded with an older version. Check http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/mapdroyd. I have version 1.0.0 on my PE. I know I get messages to update it, so there must be a newer version which may not work.

I do like it -- hope you can install!

Last edited by Filark; 08-15-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
bunodosoma
Connoisseur
bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks Filark. Freewarelovers had an older version that installed and ran. The latest version just wouldn't iinstall. I like that the maps are broken down into manageable sections and stored on the sd card. My area seems to be current. Also like the rotation feature. Wish the zoom was a tap feature. Next trip I'll try the map with step by step instructions on the e-ink side. I appreciate the fact that freewarelovers maintains more details including older versions. I worry that we'll get left behind as apps get updated so access to older versions may be important. Thanks again.

Edit: Just found rubberband mode much better but no Alaska?

Last edited by bunodosoma; 08-15-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Turtlehead
Enthusiast
Turtlehead began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Thanks here too Filark, been looking for something like this. Mapquest is great online but offline this works fine. I could not install 1.0 but the 0.9.8.6d did install. I like the fact it comes back in the zoomed status and the data is stored on the SD card.
John
Turtlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
mokel22
Zealot
mokel22 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
The older version installed on my EE too thanks Filark. I'm going to fiddle around with this for awhile and I'm sure it will come in handy.
mokel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
You are all so welcome! I love when I actually know something useful!

My only problem so far with MapDroyd is the map of Laos, which I installed to look at while reading a Colin Cotterill book, has a lot of characters that display as blank boxes (presumably because they're in an alphabet that MapDroyd or the eDGe can't handle).
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #7
jclmaster
jclmaster began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
It wouldn't install for me. For those that got it installed do you use the Ermine OS update and Link2SD?
jclmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:29 PM   #8
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
I tried the new version on my pe and no go.

Where do you find 0.9.8.6d, I searched for a long time and did not do well.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
Turtlehead
Enthusiast
Turtlehead began at the beginning.

Device: pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by exscentric View Post
I tried the new version on my pe and no go.

Where do you find 0.9.8.6d, I searched for a long time and did not do well.
Go to the link Filark provided and it is on the lower part of the page.
Turtlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:52 PM   #10
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Uhhhhh nothing blind about this four eyed old goat, sorry I missed that :-)
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #11
attemptress
Enthusiast
attemptress began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
I wrote about Locus in the archived Edge forum. It works great for me, and I've successfully used it with Dingo, Ermine, and Ermine + Link2SD.

I like it because:

-It's free.
-It works great.
-The amount of detail stored for each map is totally customizable (you can select which "zoom levels" to store ahead of time.
-It's fairly easy to get used to using.
-There is help available on-line, if you need it.
- You can select from a whole host of on-line maps to download (Yahoo!, Google, etc.)
attemptress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
mokel22
Zealot
mokel22 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclmaster View Post
It wouldn't install for me. For those that got it installed do you use the Ermine OS update and Link2SD?
I just installed it normally on the Ermine OS if that helps, it is advised to use the older version though. The apk is not installed on the SD, but you can choose where to install the maps, which are pretty big files.
mokel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:32 PM   #13
bunodosoma
Connoisseur

@ attemptress: Thanks for the heads up on locus. I downloaded the latest version from marketplace. Very promising. Many different sources and types of maps. Especially after downloading and applying Map tweak. It restored a number of maps that were missing in the later versions. Now I need to play with both Locus and MapDroyd to see which suits my needs best.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
arcticmaniac
Connoisseur
arcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipsearcticmaniac can illuminate an eclipse

Device: entourage pe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
I have Mapdroyd running fine on my PE. Had a little trouble getting it to go on my EE, but finally succeeded with an older version. Check http://www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/mapdroyd. I have version 1.0.0 on my PE. I know I get messages to update it, so there must be a newer version which may not work.

I do like it -- hope you can install!
thanks, !!!
arcticmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote