Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-08-2011, 04:45 AM   #16
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
That's a hard one... Too many excellent books already mentioned and quite a few of them I've thought to be the best when reading them.

But to choose one - The City and the Stars by Arthur C Clarke. Possibly it's just sentimental since I was a kid when I read it, but the book is surely worth it.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:19 AM   #17
Stormchild
Evangelist
Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stormchild ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1. BeBook Mini. BeBook Neo and Club. BeBook Live. BeeBook Pure.
Flow My Tears The Policeman Said by Philip K Dick.
Stormchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:20 AM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm waiting. I don't think the best has been written yet.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #19
straygator
Connoisseur
straygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolatestraygator is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle
If I have to pick one, I'll take Dune, with Stranger in a Strange Land and Dahlgren close seconds. I'd add Ursula LeGuin's Left Hand of Darkness to the mix, too.
straygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:03 AM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
The Sands of Mars by Arthur C. Clarke
The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
City at Worlds End by Edmund Hamilton
The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

and I'm sure there are others I haven't thought of.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:10 AM   #21
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
This thread is a good reminder to read some books I've been meaning to.

My experience with scifi is limited, but so far my faves have been (I can't do a "best"):

Childhood's End, Clarke
2001, Clarke (even though it was written alongside the film, and they're meant as a single work)
The Sparrow, Mary Doria Russel
The Forever War, Joe Haldeman
The Stars My Destination, Alfred Bester
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #22
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
As a youngster, Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham gets my vote.

As a grown-up (?), perhaps Replay by Ken Grimwood, if that counts as sci-fi?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #23
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
If i had to pick one, it would be

Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
Yeah, the entire Ender quartet is pretty good, although the third book was extremely over-written.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #24
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Has anyone read Clarke's 2010? I'm thinking about reading it soon and have heard good things.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #25
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Childhood's End, Clarke
That used to be one of my favorites along with the first Rama book, but after re-reading both last year, I found I didn't care for either as much as I used to. But they're still quite good.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #26
OtterBooks
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Alas, Babylon - Pat Frank
I just finished reading that a few days ago. Excellent.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:31 AM   #27
Ransom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Has anyone read Clarke's 2010? I'm thinking about reading it soon and have heard good things.
Yeah, I've read all four books in the series. That was a good one. The last one was the worst, but worth reading.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #28
OtterBooks
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
That used to be one of my favorites along with the first Rama book, but after re-reading both last year, I found I didn't care for either as much as I used to. But they're still quite good.
I liked Rama as well. Both that and Childhood's End were read years ago, so they could very well fall into the "not as good as I recall" category if I read them with new eyes.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #29
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
If we're talking about what influenced me the most at the youngest age then probably Nova, written by Samuel Delany in 1968. It was chock full of adult and fantastic themes while the characters were not the usual 50's pulp SF cardboard cutouts.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #30
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Interesting thread, a number of books to add to my "give it a go" list.

At the risk of being called a heretic I'm afraid I couldn't read Samuel Delaney's Nova again if my life depended on it. I have seen it recommended on a number of threads here so I read it about six months ago. However I found it an incredibly painful and dull read that I got no enjoyment from at all. I thought maybe it was a slow burner that would improve/gather momentum further through it but it just never got out of first gear for me.

Still, that's books for you, some grab you and some don't. For instance I am a big Robin Hobb fan, loved the Farseer stuff yet there are others here who have posted how painful they found that to read.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sci-fi novel