Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
Hanscraft
Hanscraft began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Exclamation I think I bricked Nook Color while rooting

So, I was following the instructions precisely for rooting this from NookDev on Windows when I got to the steps:
Tap the white Nav Arrow > settings > Wireless & verify that you are connected to WiFi
(The Nav arrow is the white up arrow in the middle of the notifications bar at the bottom of your screen.)
When prompted for the Home app, you're given the options of Home or Softkeys. Pick Softkeys or your Menu button won't work in Youtube.
Tap the Nav Arrow > extras > Youtube & accept the ToS
First, it would not let me hit the white Nav arrow, but went straight to the Home app. I choose Softkeys. It then would not let me hit the nav bottom. A new round button with an arrow appeared on the left side of the screen. I clicked that which brought up a set of buttons with 4-5 options. The buttons did not work or a sign popped up that said, "unable to execute as root."

I tried to hit a few more buttons before cutting it off. I put the card back in and started over again. Nothing. It won't even power on unless I plug into into the desktop (with and without the SD card). When it powers on, it just goes to the "n" logo and won't go any further.

Now what?
Hanscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
You're going to have to do factory reset:

http://nookdevs.com/Flash_back_to_clean_stock_ROM

Take the card out and leave it out. You make matters worse when you go into panic mode and randomly do things.

Plug the unit in a wall outlet.

Last edited by SCION; 01-02-2011 at 09:50 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
Hanscraft
Hanscraft began at the beginning.

Unable to reboot 8 times

I've tried at least 30 times to try to manually get the 8-reboot down, but ALWAYS on the second try it immediately boots itself all the way up. I then tried the long complicated way but the device was never found though I tried the directions several times.

So at this point, I don't know what to do with the thing.
Hanscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try this:

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_UnRooting
Old 01-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
You may also have bricked your warranty. I hope you get it to work.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:21 AM   #6
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
On each bootup, your basically holding the power button down to boot it up, and it still continues to boot anyways never removing your finger from the power button?

I always recall my second reboot being strange like that too, where it looked like it was entering the usual bootup, but with the power button held constantly, it would go down shortly after it flashed anything on the screen. I know I had to hold the power button on each boot attempt for like 20 to 30 seconds (or more sometimes it seemed).
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:22 AM   #7
SCION
Séduisant

It's unfortunate Hanscraft that some people have nothing of value to add to the conversation, but have the need to intrude. If someone is like this online, I can only imagine how they must be in person.

This thread had 80 views and no one felt the need to leave a comment that was of no help to you, except this individual.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 AM   #8
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanscraft View Post

So at this point, I don't know what to do with the thing.
Hanscraft......I'll tell you what to do...listen to what Krypto and Scion are telling you......If anyone knows what to do....it would be them.....You need to follow up with them, exactly what your doing......

I wish I could provide any useful info...but I'm a newbie to this.....

In Scion I trust.....
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:38 AM   #9
PegS
Connoisseur
PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.PegS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NOOKcolor
Hanscraft, the 8 boot thing is rather annoying. As soon as you see it boot up, at the "Touch the Future of Reading" screen, immediately hold down your power button. However, it doesn't immediately power down, so keep your finger down for awhile longer. I learned to watch for a second flicker, but if you just hold it down, like Kryto said, for another 15-20 seconds it will completely shut down. When you get to the 9th reboot it will automatically switch to the screen with the green arrow that says something like "installing new file" so you don't have to worry if you end up losing count.
See the link SCION linked to above.

Then, when you're ready to try rooting the machine again, try using these instructions. I found that the screenshots helped me a lot over just the text instructions.
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...html#post24111
PegS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:58 AM   #10
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegS View Post
Then, when you're ready to try rooting the machine again
Lets hope BN sees the wisdom, as many in this forum have called for, of selling a already rooted, already stable color nook. Even at a price premium, it would be a big seller. It's a nice piece of hardware.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:09 AM   #11
debteb
Connoisseur
debteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litter

Device: NOOKcolor, EVO, HP Touchpad
Relax Hanscraft, your NC is not bricked. I followed advice from Scion when this happened to me. Relaxxx! Follow what Scion has told you and you should be good.
debteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:09 AM   #12
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
It's unfortunate Hanscraft that some people have nothing of value to add to the conversation, but have the need to intrude. If someone is like this online, I can only imagine how they must be in person.

This thread had 80 views and no one felt the need to leave a comment that was of no help to you, except this individual.
It may well be possible that Hanscraft did not know that "rooting" could also void the NC warranty. Just because someone knows enough to realize rooting could be a fun thing to do, doesn't altogether mean they know the full implications of going through with it; including possibly bricking the machine and voiding the warranty. I'm not saying that is exactly the case, but it isn't out of the range of possibility, so 'that individual' could have been providing an unknown and important eye-opener.

A lot of iOS device owners ran into similar trouble during the early stages of "jailbreaking" iPods and iPhones. They had the will and desire to try it, without the knowledge of what could go wrong. I remember many desperate phone calls from friends and family, bitterly complaining about "bricked" phones, formated OS's, lack of phone service, and all manner of other oddities.

I'd always ask them if they had read up about all the potential problems that could crop up, and most of the time I'd get some sort of answer like, "uh no, everyone just said it was cool, so I wanted to try it."

So, like I said, it isn't impossible to believe people would attempt to do something potentially dangerous to their devices without knowing just what those dangers are.

I guess I should add -- before I get scolded for leaving a non-helpful message -- that I hope you get your device fixed Hanscraft, because I've actually been thinking of buying a NC myself (which is why I'm in the Nook forum reading about NC's), and there is a 100% surety that I'll root mine as soon as I buy it. So at least it is good for me to see evidence of a specific problem ... and the hopeful fixes to such a problem.
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:50 AM   #13
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
If he went to the Nookdevs website to read the directions on how to root, then the OP knows that he could void his warranty by rooting. Period. It's listed FIRST on the Nookdevs site.

But Hanscraft, I promise you, you didn't root your device. I also had a problem the first time after I tried rooting, and I had to do a factory reset of the device--it turned out to be harder than actually rooting!
Just follow the directions here and you'll be fine. It's kind of nuisance when you're trying to power up the NC eight different times.

You have to hold the button down, wait for it to power off, and then restart it. It is very important that you wait until you're seeing the "Touch the Future of Reading" appear on the screen, and then immediately HOLD DOWN THE POWER BUTTON until it shuts off again.
The mistake I kept making was that I would merely push the power button, but in order to power it off, you must make sure that you're holding it down while it's booting up.

Repeat the process 8 times and you should be good. If it doesn't work the first time, keep trying.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #14
JoeSchmoo
JoeSchmoo will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmoo will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmoo will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmoo will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmoo will become famous soon enoughJoeSchmoo will become famous soon enough

Yes to all above descriptions of how to reset by powering up and down 8 times. I'd just like to add that I've been reading all the threads on several forums (here, XDA-Dev, Android, etc.), and I haven't heard of even ONE person who actually bricked their Nook -- every single person who made a mistake in the rooting process was able to successfully reset back to factory fresh.
True that on not panicking and doing random things in desperation.
The power on-off cycling WILL work to reset your Nook!
JoeSchmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #15
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exer View Post
It may well be possible that Hanscraft did not know that "rooting" could also void the NC warranty...
What the OP did and didn't know is irrelevant to his/her cry for help at the moment. Just dropping in to say basically "You may have f@*%ed it up beyond fixing, but I hope you fix it," is of no value. It does nothing to help the state of mind of the individual who is troubleshooting. It distracts from what individuals are trying to accomplish when they take the time to assist posters.

If someone wants to highlight the warranty issue, that can be done when the OP's problem is resolved. Also, a private message can be sent as a follow-up.