Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-13-2010, 02:51 AM   #196
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
I get the circle with the line through it on a white cover of the book. I've attached a couple of screen shots of the Adobe messages for the good book and the bad book.
whoa! Middle image says: last read 1969!
I know why it won't work, it is stoned!
Odd Bug.
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:52 AM   #197
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there going to be hyphenation support?
Yes. Pains me it is not there yet. related to RMSDK - need update from Adobe to fix.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:55 AM   #198
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svea View Post
Micah, as a librarian and future ipad owner (hey, Christmas is coming..), I just want to say that you and your team are the complete and utter bomb! I am probably unreasonably excited about you guys making Apple products compatible with library ebooks, but hooray! I used your instructions from http://www.bluefirereader.com/help/libraryBooks.html to transfer a book to my iphone and success!!! I was able to open it and read it easy peasy. So now ereader purchasing library patrons have the option of Ipads as well as Sony & Nook. (Kindle, maybe someday they'll catch up.) I wish I could offer up my library for your request but I don't think they'd go for it - but if you like I could post your query to Publib, the librarian's listserv? http://lists.webjunction.org/publib/ Although I can't locate your request in this thread anymore, so maybe you don't need it. Or I just keep skimming by it. Anyway, thanks for helping make libraries stay relevant in this increasingly digital world!
It is possible to create links that would download books directly to Bluefire Reader, or give the user the choice what app to download to. I do want to help libraries implement that if that is what they want to do.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:01 AM   #199
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Thanks so much, Micah and Bluefire team for doing this. This is just wonderful!

NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:11 AM   #200
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
Quote:
"Originally Posted by Jane12 View Post
Hi Micah,

I'm getting the same kind of error as dieterpops. Here's what's happening:

* I checked out book "A" about a week ago. It has 6 days left before expiration. I successfully transferred it to BFR via iTunes, but the cover was blank with a circle and line through it. When I tried to open it, I got: "This loaned item can no longer be accessed." However, it opens fine in ADE and has 6 days left before it expires.

* I then tried checking out some new books ("B," "C" and "D"). These all transferred fine and opened no problem.

* I then returned book "A" and checked it out again. Now it has 14 days before it expires. It's all fresh and new. I transferred it to BFR, but again I get the blank cover with circle and line through it and the error message: "This loaned item can no longer be accessed." And yet, it's newly checked out with 14 days left and opens fine in ADE.

* I then decided to return book "B" and try checking it out again. This time, I get the blank cover with circle and line through it and "This loaned item can no longer be accessed."

So there's definitely something wonky with the authorizations if you're trying to transfer a book that's been checked out for a while, even if it hasn't expired yet. And it looks like once you return a book you can never check it out again, which is kind of a bummer since my library only loans for 14 days, and if I can't finish a book in time and want to check it out again, I can't."

I have had the same problems with a couple of my Sony Readers in the past while trying to re-check out a Overdrive eBook when I had many days left before expiration. I almost think it is the problem of Adobe Digital Editions. Very annoying when it happens.

Have you tried the method listed where you bypass ADE completely with your downloaded Overdrive Library acsm file and e-mail the file to your iPad/Phone/Touch and then open with Bluefire? It still will have the same expiration date on the BFR. I am looking forward to trying out the Overdrive eBooks to see if they will stay checked out on the reader until actually closed like they do on my nook. That would allow me to finish a book in case I get busy doing something else.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:44 AM   #201
midlifec
ebooks on iPhone fanatic
midlifec began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
When we "set" margins, we don't actually futz with the publisher's CSS, we just "inset" the whole page. The "smallest" margins are only a few pixels inset. So it is likey the formatting of the books. We might need to be a bit more "aggressive" when a user turns off "Use Publisher Formatting" which currently would maybe be better labled "Over-write specific, standard CSS selectors and hope the publisher did not get fancy with CSS selector names"
Now I wish I could say I understood ANY of that, but I am comforted that somebody does.
Anyway, please keep up the good work.
midlifec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #202
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane12
... there's definitely something wonky with the authorizations if you're trying to transfer a book that's been checked out for a while, even if it hasn't expired yet. And it looks like once you return a book you can never check it out again ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvshihtzu View Post
I have had the same problems with a couple of my Sony Readers in the past while trying to re-check out a Overdrive eBook when I had many days left before expiration. I almost think it is the problem of Adobe Digital Editions .... Have you tried the method listed where you bypass ADE completely with your downloaded Overdrive Library acsm file and e-mail the file to your iPad/Phone/Touch and then open with Bluefire?....
Just tried the email-acsm method. Same problem. But it works great on newly checked out books! I'm thrilled to be able to transfer books without tethering. Thanks!
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #203
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Quote:
When we "set" margins, we don't actually futz with the publisher's CSS, we just "inset" the whole page. The "smallest" margins are only a few pixels inset. So it is likey the formatting of the books. We might need to be a bit more "aggressive" when a user turns off "Use Publisher Formatting" which currently would maybe be better labled "Over-write specific, standard CSS selectors and hope the publisher did not get fancy with CSS selector names"
Please be as aggressive as possible with those margins, at least with the iPhone version. It may not be such a big deal on the iPad, but on the tiny iPhone screen, losing half an inch on both sides to margins is a problem.

And again, thanks to the the BFR Team for all your efforts. Even with the various issues, it's fabulous to have some access to library books on my iPod Touch!

Last edited by Jane12; 11-13-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:13 PM   #204
flipoid
flipoid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/iPod/Sony
I have a first generation iPod touch. I tried the method of emailing the .acsm file to my Gmail (the email I have in the iPod's mail program), but I can't click on the .acsm file--nothing happens when I tap it. When I double-tap it, I just get a pop-up menu that says "save image" "copy" and "cancel."

I don't know how to get the .acsm file to open so it can go into the Bluefire Reader.

Any help would be appreciated.
flipoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #205
Jsimon
Enthusiast
Jsimon began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipoid View Post
I have a first generation iPod touch. I tried the method of emailing the .acsm file to my Gmail (the email I have in the iPod's mail program), but I can't click on the .acsm file--nothing happens when I tap it. When I double-tap it, I just get a pop-up menu that says "save image" "copy" and "cancel."

I don't know how to get the .acsm file to open so it can go into the Bluefire Reader.

Any help would be appreciated.
Try this as a workaround. Instead of downloading the acsm file, download the epub file to computer and then email that.
Jsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #206
flipoid

Thanks, Jsimon. I tried that first--and the same thing happens with the ePub file. It won't open, and when I "right click" on it, I get the same "save image," "copy," and "cancel" options.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:23 PM   #207
Jsimon
Enthusiast
Jsimon began at the beginning.

Quote:
Thanks, Jsimon. I tried that first--and the same thing happens with the ePub file. It won't open, and when I "right click" on it, I get the same "save image," "copy," and "cancel" options.
I would guess either an issue with first gen iPod or gmail. Easier of the two is to try a different email account
Jsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:45 PM   #208
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
hmmm, if you Bluefire Reader installed (I assume it is?) then you should get the "open in" option. Same should be true of any protected or unprotected PDF or EPUB. You might test just sending yourself a regular old PDF. Several apps support that format, e.g. goodreader (which I recommend a a solid utility app)

But then, I don't have a first Gen iPod, could it be that it does not support the open-in IOS feature? Doesn't seem likely to me, but....

If you have wifi network, you could try to the wifi transfer method I've described in prior pages of this forum.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:47 PM   #209
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Reminder: For wifi trnasfer without tethering, type the following address into mobile Safari on the device bluefirereader://nav/transfer

It should then show instructions on what to type into the browser on your desktop machine.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #210
flipoid

Quote:
hmmm, if you Bluefire Reader installed (I assume it is?) then you should get the "open in" option. Same should be true of any protected or unprotected PDF or EPUB. You might test just sending yourself a regular old PDF. Several apps support that format, e.g. goodreader (which I recommend a a solid utility app)

But then, I don't have a first Gen iPod, could it be that it does not support the open-in IOS feature? Doesn't seem likely to me, but....

If you have wifi network, you could try to the wifi transfer method I've described in prior pages of this forum.
Yes, I installed Bluefire Reader first, before I tried transferring any library book files. (-: I have sent myself lots of unprotected PDF files (I have never used protected ones except on my Sony Reader when books from the library come in that format) using my Gmail account, and they all open just by clicking on the attachment icon that shows up in the body of the Gmail message. So I don't know why it doesn't work with either the ePub or the .acsm files. I have not tried sending myself any unprotected ePub files; I don't remember if I have any on my computer, honestly.

If I do try using another email address, it would have to be a web-based one--my work-based email account doesn't work on my iPod touch. But it would be the same Mail app that comes on the iPod touch. I also tried logging in to my Gmail account on Safari, but it gave me an error message that said Safari couldn't download the ePub file.

Yes, we do have a wifi network in our home--that's the most common way I can get the wifi on my iPod touch. Can you direct me to your instructions for the wifi transfer method?

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions and help. I appreciate it. I know I can't do the iTunes transfer method, because my iTunes (I have version 10) doesn't show the "File Sharing" section on the Apps tab. I'm assuming that has something to do with the fact that my iPod is a first-generation touch and only has the 3.1 (I think that's the latest one) OS version--it's not compatible with OS 4.