Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 06:42 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Unfriending: Applies here (and other forums) as well

ScienceDaily (Oct. 5, 2010) — With over 500 million users worldwide, Facebook has become a global phenomenon, a vast cyber neighborhood where friends meet to share photos, news and gossip. But when those relationships sour, another phenomenon often occurs -- unfriending.

In what may be the first comprehensive study of its kind, a University of Colorado Denver Business School student has revealed the top reasons for Facebook unfriending, who is unfriended and how they react to being unfriended.....

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1005121822.htm
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I'm a corporate attorney, and I often deal with employment cases. I tell all my associates that if they have facebook, myspace or any other social networking program to terminate it. Immediately.

Why? Because one of my first harassment cases involved the plaintiff having her facebook (and all itenerant photos and drunk posts) dragged into court to show that what her boss did was in no way harassment, and merely a response to her ridiculous behavior (she had friended him on facebook).

Tis a cautionary tale, at least in my profession. And unfriending people doesnt erase your history with them. Until the law steps in and says that those things are off limits for evidence (which they never will), you won't catch me or my staff anywhere near it.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I refuse to have a facebook or other social website. My exploits are too well known on the internet already.

I even question the Linkedin stuff a bit. It can be played the wrong way as well.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I refuse to have a facebook or other social website. My exploits are too well known on the internet already.

I even question the Linkedin stuff a bit. It can be played the wrong way as well.
I've got a linked in account but none of the others. I just don't see the point.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:52 AM   #5
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
If I ever become a famous author (I'm not even writing a novel) I'll get a website and a facebook, but until then, no. Family are all on facebook and keep trying to get me to join. My hubby found a lot of his classmates he graduated with almost 30 years ago and tells me I could find people I used to know. If I wanted to find them, I would look. I detested 9/10 of my graduating class. Why would I want contact now?
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I am very much of the same opinion. In terms of most of the people who I went to school with or whatnot, I dont want to be found.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I joined Facebook a year ago........and cancelled the account one week later.

I could not believe all the friends of friends of friends who wanted to be my 'friend'.

Not to mention the spam.

And truly.........I didn't care in the least what all these people were doing.

I'm sure they did care about what I was doing either.

The time wasted on there I'll never get back........of course.......here I am............
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'm just trying out Facebook (among other things), to see if I can generate some interest in the new site. However, I'm really out of the loop on effectively using social media, and I have no idea how much it will help me.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
In what may be the first comprehensive study of its kind, a University of Colorado Denver Business School student has revealed the top reasons for Facebook unfriending, who is unfriended and how they react to being unfriended.....
I did a comprehensive study of my own, and determined that I just don't give a darn!
I frankly don't see the use for facebook and other websites of that ilk.
MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #10
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Here's a true story from last week. All of our family went to Vancouver where my brother (Matthew) already lives for his wedding. One evening we all met at my brother's apartment and my sister borrowed his laptop to check her Facebook account.

"Ooh, I've got a message from Matthew", she said, "I'd better reply to it" and started typing furiously. Matthew was sat next to her at the time!

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:32 PM   #11
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I joined Facebook a year ago........and cancelled the account one week later.

I could not believe all the friends of friends of friends who wanted to be my 'friend'.

Not to mention the spam.

And truly.........I didn't care in the least what all these people were doing.

I'm sure they did care about what I was doing either.

The time wasted on there I'll never get back........of course.......here I am............
Your time here is NEVER WASTED! (IMHO)
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #12
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Here's a true story from last week. All of our family went to Vancouver where my brother (Matthew) already lives for his wedding. One evening we all met at my brother's apartment and my sister borrowed his laptop to check her Facebook account.

"Ooh, I've got a message from Matthew", she said, "I'd better reply to it" and started typing furiously. Matthew was sat next to her at the time!

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry
Sort of reminds me of that commercial where the girl is breaking up with boyfriend (or "unfriending") as they sit together in a booth in a restaurant. She tells him that she's changed her status to single or available, sends him a text and then calls him as she's sitting right across from him. I think it's a commercial for phone service.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #13
lost66615
Enthusiast
lost66615 doesn't litterlost66615 doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx
facebook is good for keeping in touch with family that are abroad and dont see much off
work people never ever
lost66615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #14
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Scenario: Daughter in her room, son in his room, hubby in livingroom.
(D) I sent you a message, Dad.
(H) OK, (S) I sent you one!
(S) Ok, I'll check.

All while hollering down the hallway, because of their closed bedroom doors! Why not just tell what the message was, instead of doing it online? It's not like any of them were currently injured at the time. (We've been through that, and cell phone texting and IMing came in handy).

I just rolled my eyes at them and told them they were crazy. But on the bright side, my family does enjoy communicating with each other. LOL Now that we live apart it is easy for my husband to keep up with what the kids are doing, when they update. They know he'll be on almost every night.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #15
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I never thought I'd be saying this, but... I had one Facebook account, when I was heavily involved in digital scrapbooking. One of the designers kind of talked me into it. I signed up with the nickname I used on the scrap boards; and never used the account. Terminated it a few months later.
Then Chris's family all got on it - got him to join - and I rejoined under my real name for that. A bunch of people from high school found me (Mrs. Coach, I detested over 9/10 of those I went to school with too, but apparently they either grew up or forgot...and added ME, not the other way around).
I have to admit as a source for news from my hometown, it's pretty dang good. I have the mayor and the editor of the local newspaper both on my list, so between those two and my cousin who still lives there; I keep up with births, deaths, and gossip better than I could without it.
I don't post anything related to work - most of my posts either are replying to someone, or about books (I have about 60 cozy mystery authors on my list- I realize most are there for the publicity and in effect therefore I'm being "used" ), but a few have become real friends, like Julie Hyzy and Jessica Park. I've also "met" people via author's profiles that share my addiction to the same kind of books, and I now count them as friends (not just Facebook friends).
I don't play the games, and I block most applications - but for what I use it for, Facebook actually works for me.

Last edited by phenomshel; 10-06-2010 at 02:16 PM. Reason: mistaken identity. Darn penguins.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote