Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1

I think I understand copyright issues to the extent that an author who has been dead for 50 years will be PD.

Hence, any author that met his maker in 1961 will leave the protected world of copyrights in a few months time.

Hence, my curiosity. Are anyone of you guys working on books written by authors who perished in 1961 (I suppose it is possible to use the internet for a compilation)? Is it possible to release E-books of those authors come Jan 1 2011? Or do you have to follow the date of their demise?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I am pretty sure Blackmask or project glutenberg do something in this area
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #3
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
oh, it's too easy...never mind..
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
In the United States it's life plus 70 years. That said *I believe*, if your country is life plus 50, books are public domain on Jan 1 of the 51st year.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I think I understand copyright issues to the extent that an author who has been dead for 50 years will be PD.

Hence, any author that met his maker in 1961 will leave the protected world of copyrights in a few months time.

Hence, my curiosity. Are anyone of you guys working on books written by authors who perished in 1961 (I suppose it is possible to use the internet for a compilation)? Is it possible to release E-books of those authors come Jan 1 2011? Or do you have to follow the date of their demise?
Depends on if the current owner of the rights renews them or not. With rare exceptions, you can pretty much expect anything since 1923 will never be PD.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Kumabjorn,

I see you are in Sweden. Sweden is a signatory of the Berne Convention. As in almost every country in Europe, the copyright term there is 70 years from the death of the author, not 50.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Depends on if the current owner of the rights renews them or not. With rare exceptions, you can pretty much expect anything since 1923 will never be PD.
As far as I know, the only country that has provision for renewing copyright (in literary works) is the USA. Similarly with the 1923 rule. Those provisions don't apply generally.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
In the US no book will enter public domain before 2019 unless the current law changes.

Or if copyright holder states such, I believe.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:40 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

Books enter the public domain at the start of the year after the 50th or 70th anniversary of their death. Hence, on 1st Jan 2011, authors who died during 1960 will enter the public domain in life+50 countries, and authors who died during 1940 in life+70 countries.

You (and I) both live in a life+70 country.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But we can publish those works in countries that have the life + 50 years rule, can't we? I'm thinking this is one of the benefits of the Internet, borders no longer make it possible to maintain rules like that.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

MR can host them, since MR's server is in Canada, which has a life+50 copyright law. But neither you nor I can legally download such a book from MR. Whether or not that bothers you is of course a personal matter for you to make up your mind about.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

This is fascinating stuff. Could I download it if I was visiting in Canada?

I can't believe how intricate these rules are.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
This is fascinating stuff. Could I download it if I was visiting in Canada?

I can't believe how intricate these rules are.
Yes, you could download it if you were visiting Canada, and what's more, you could perfectly legally take it home to Sweden with you from Canada. But you can't legally download it from Sweden.

I know it doesn't make any sense, but that's the way it is.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:20 PM   #14
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
MR can host them, since MR's server is in Canada, which has a life+50 copyright law.
Really? I had no idea. How cool, actually. No housing crisis, no bank failures, no sub-prime mortgages ... and hosting MobileRead as icing on the cake.

The True North, Strong and Free.

SP,
In Toronto
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote