Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 01-01-2022, 12:20 PM   #1
Moonbase59
Zealot
Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Tolino Vision 5, Tolino Tab 8"
Foliate – An E-Reader for Linux

For Linux users that wish for an alternative to the (great) Calibre E-Reader: Foliate seems to me an interesting app, and it’s actively developed.

What I liked:
  • Simple UI (GTK), not feature-overloaded
  • Error-free display of my EPUBs
  • Hyphenation using the standard Linux hyphen-xx libraries
  • Annotations and bookmarks (syncable, exportable in many formats, even BibTex and Markdown)
  • Wikipedia and (English) Wiktionary support (online)
  • Support for StarDict- and DICT-type offline dictionaries
  • Great Metadata support (including Calibre and series metadata)
  • Flexible TTS (eSpeak, Festival, gTTS (Google Translate, online), PicoTTS (offline)

What I didn’t like:
  • Currently only support for the English Wiktionary.
  • StarDict content shown as text, not HTML (see my issue)
  • No PDF support (then again, any document viewer does that…)

Links:
Screenshots and TTS samples (Google TTS, PicoTTS) in German & English:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Black Mask_001.png
Views:	223
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	191244   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Black Mask_002.png
Views:	234
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	191245   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Black Mask_003.png
Views:	238
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	191246  
Attached Files
File Type: zip TTS Samples.zip (385.9 KB, 179 views)
Moonbase59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:54 AM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Very nice application. Thank you for the heads up. Will definitely use this.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2022, 07:13 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Thanks, I'll check it out. Adds Foliate Menu item under Office on Linux Mint 20.1 with Mate Desktop.

I do think the mobile style "hamburger" menu is obnoxious for ANY desktop program on Windows, Mac or Linux. There is a setting to turn on a traditional desktop menu bar/title bar.

It seems to ignore embedded fonts and the ebook CSS for some aspects. So looks rubbish compared to Calibre and no use to preview for eink ereaders.

Edit: Easy to find Publisher Font under View when the standard GUI is enabled.

The standard desktop GUI (title/menu) and Publisher fonts etc should be defaults.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-12-2022 at 07:22 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 09:38 AM   #4
Moonbase59
Zealot
Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Moonbase59 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Yeah, I also hate these shifted-to-the-right hamburger menu stuff more and more distros and Gtk apps start to use. Where did you find the traditional menu setting?

Edit: Got it. I hate apps that force me to use the current environment language and don’t allow me to switch to English (for developing, support, screenshots).

In German, it’s under hamburger menu → Einstellungen → Benutzeroberfläche → Traditionelle Titelleiste verwenden (experimentell). (Requires restart.)

---

As mentioned in the German thread, Foliate is an alternative for people who just want to read an e-book once in a while, without wanting to install a fully-fledged solution like Calibre. Personally, I also tend to prefer the Calibre viewer, even if it takes ages to open and writes into the EPUBs.

---

While doing some other tests (German), I also found that Foliate sometimes has problems displaying SVG files. (Usually either left out completely, or at least not respecting width & height from SVG or CSS min-width, max-width. I use MathPix to convert hand-written or scanned formulae to SVG, and that sets an SVG size in ex units.)

Last edited by Moonbase59; 01-12-2022 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Found setting, note about SVG issues.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:26 AM   #5
Moonbase59
Zealot

Note to Linux users that use Debian-derivatives (like Ubuntu, Linux Mint) and the Foliate PPA: The label has changed from "Foliate ebook reader" to "Foliate" in between versions 2.6.3 and 2.6.4.

This means that—for safety reasons—GUI-based updaters (like in Linux Mint) will show a message, but stop updating until you have manually accepted that change (and thus "allowed" it).

The easiest way to do that on Debian-like systems is performing a sudo apt update in the terminal, confirm the change, and then do a sudo apt upgrade afterwards to actually get the newer version.
Advert
Old 02-05-2022, 09:04 AM   #6
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Ares
I have been reading lately in Foliate in Gentoo and in Windows WSL2. It is nice

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
jospalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 05:25 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbase59 View Post
This means that—for safety reasons—GUI-based updaters (like in Linux Mint) will show a message, but stop updating until you have manually accepted that change (and thus "allowed" it).

The easiest way to do that on Debian-like systems is performing a sudo apt update in the terminal, confirm the change, and then do a sudo apt upgrade afterwards to actually get the newer version.
The sudo apt upgrade isn't needed as the regular GUI will recognise the change and offer the update.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote