Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 07-06-2021, 02:34 AM   #1
soutade
soutade is my name, but call me Ishmael.soutade is my name, but call me Ishmael.soutade is my name, but call me Ishmael.soutade is my name, but call me Ishmael.soutade is my name, but call me Ishmael.soutade is my name, but call me Ishmael.soutade is my name, but call me Ishmael.soutade is my name, but call me Ishmael.soutade is my name, but call me Ishmael.soutade is my name, but call me Ishmael.soutade is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Cybook Odyssey
ADE alternative for Linux

Hello everybody,

If (like me), you're fed up to reboot on Windows in order to launch ADE or use a very old version in combination to WINE, you're at the right place !

After a long reverse engineering work, I created a library that is a free implementation of ADEPT protocol. It also contains two (command line) utils allowing you to create a new device, register it to Adobe's servers and download ePub from ACSM request files.

You can find sources & binaries here : http://indefero.soutade.fr/p/libgourou

Cheers

Grégory
soutade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:45 AM   #2
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
I'd even use it with Windows (Linux sub-system) if it works. I'll definitely try it this weekend.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2021, 12:24 PM   #3
sadowski
Connoisseur
sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, Kobo mini, PB mini
I would love to be able to use this!

Unfortunately, I fail already at the device creation step. "activate" gives me

Code:
Exception code : 0x5006
Message        : Invalid key size 16
The file set in .adobe is created, but when using it with "acsmdownloader", it fails with an error as well (as the generated key apparently is invalid). Is there a way to go around this?

Unfortunately, I never activated any of my e-readers at Adobe and I do not own a Windows computer any longer. The wine installation of ADE does not recognize the device and thus cannot register it either. Therefore, I cannot test to use the files from an activated e-reader either.

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Jens
sadowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 02:40 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by soutade View Post
Hello everybody,

If (like me), you're fed up to reboot on Windows in order to launch ADE or use a very old version in combination to WINE, you're at the right place !

After a long reverse engineering work, I created a library that is a free implementation of ADEPT protocol. It also contains two (command line) utils allowing you to create a new device, register it to Adobe's servers and download ePub from ACSM request files.

You can find sources & binaries here : http://indefero.soutade.fr/p/libgourou

Cheers

Grégory
The problem is that you still need a registered ADE install to be able to get the key to remove the DRM. This solution may work after you get the key from a registered ADE but without the key, this solution is not a solution.

Does this block the new hardened DRM?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 03:08 PM   #5
soutade
soutade is my name, but call me Ishmael.soutade is my name, but call me Ishmael.soutade is my name, but call me Ishmael.soutade is my name, but call me Ishmael.soutade is my name, but call me Ishmael.soutade is my name, but call me Ishmael.soutade is my name, but call me Ishmael.soutade is my name, but call me Ishmael.soutade is my name, but call me Ishmael.soutade is my name, but call me Ishmael.soutade is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadowski View Post
I would love to be able to use this!

Unfortunately, I fail already at the device creation step. "activate" gives me

Code:
Exception code : 0x5006
Message        : Invalid key size 16
I'm really sorry, it's a bug from me
I updated the package, it should works fine now (activate & download)
Advert
Old 07-06-2021, 03:11 PM   #6
soutade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that you still need a registered ADE install to be able to get the key to remove the DRM. This solution may work after you get the key from a registered ADE but without the key, this solution is not a solution.

It acts like ADE would (generate keys, device registration, ePub download).
ePub file you download still contains Adobe DRM, but you should be able to read it with an eReader that supports Adobe's DRM encryption (or use a service like Calibre).

As it's a library, I think, it could be embedded into reader software (like koreader) to support DRM, but I don't know if it's what they want.
Old 07-06-2021, 03:16 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It acts like ADE would (generate keys, device registration, ePub download).
ePub file you download still contains Adobe DRM, but you should be able to read it with an eReader that supports Adobe's DRM encryption (or use a service like Calibre).

As it's a library, I think, it could be embedded into reader software (like koreader) to support DRM, but I don't know if it's what they want.
It doesn't act like ADE for the DeDRM Calibre plugin. You cannot get the key that DeDRM needs to do it's DRM removal. You still need an installed and registered ADE to get the key for DeDRM.
Old 07-06-2021, 03:31 PM   #8
LinuxArie
Connoisseur
LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Clara HD. FBreader on Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro, Nokia 3.1
Not a real replacement for ADE but a work around
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...38&postcount=2
If any one knows how to get the key file from ADE Android you don't need windows
LinuxArie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 03:35 PM   #9
soutade

Quote:
It doesn't act like ADE for the DeDRM Calibre plugin. You cannot get the key that DeDRM needs to do it's DRM removal. You still need an installed and registered ADE to get the key for DeDRM.
All the needed keys are located in (with libgourou) .adept directory :
* devicesalt for local encryption
* activation.xml that contains encrypted RSA public/private keys

devicesalt helps to decrypt RSA keys, that are then used to retrieve AES key used for ePub encryption.

Key generation is partially done locally (devicesalt + unencrypted RSA) and remotely (encrypted RSA).

libgourou manage key generation & server exchange in order to build all these files with right data.

For your question :

Quote:
I don't know, the target hobbes version is 10.0.4; but I know there is a version 11 running
Old 07-06-2021, 03:40 PM   #10
soutade

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxArie View Post
If any one knows how to get the key file from ADE Android you don't need windows
With libgourou, you don't need the same files. You can create a new "device" from your computer with the same AdobeID (it will retrieve all needed keys). After that, you have to use Calibre for DeDRM if you want to read it in clear, or put it on a device that supports Adobe's DRM.
Old 07-06-2021, 04:47 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxArie View Post
That assumes you have an Android device. Not everyone has such.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:25 PM   #12
LinuxArie
Connoisseur
LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LinuxArie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Clara HD. FBreader on Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro, Nokia 3.1
I expect that it also works with an iphone / ipad, but I don't have those so I cannot test it. Android tablets work also
LinuxArie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:01 AM   #13
sadowski
Connoisseur
sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadowski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm really sorry, it's a bug from me
I updated the package, it should works fine now (activate & download)
Registration works now--many thanks! I get
Code:
... fully signed and device activated in ...
Unfortunately, now the downloader spits out this:

Code:
Exception code : 0x1003
Message        : E_ADEPT_USER_AUTH http://drm.ebookshipping.com:8080/fulfillment/Fulfill urn:uuid:12ee6268-df92-4869-b0fb-f2d62dcbb41f
I still can download the book via the same acsm file in ADE 2.0.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:21 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadowski View Post
Registration works now--many thanks! I get
Code:
... fully signed and device activated in ...
Unfortunately, now the downloader spits out this:

Code:
Exception code : 0x1003
Message        : E_ADEPT_USER_AUTH http://drm.ebookshipping.com:8080/fulfillment/Fulfill urn:uuid:12ee6268-df92-4869-b0fb-f2d62dcbb41f
I still can download the book via the same acsm file in ADE 2.0.
Has that eBook ben previously been downloaded with ADE? If o, try an eBook that's not been previously downloaded.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:11 AM   #15
sadowski
Connoisseur

Quote:
Has that eBook ben previously been downloaded with ADE? If o, try an eBook that's not been previously downloaded.
I can at least open it in another instance of ADE (also another version: 4.5 instead of 2.0) on another computer that has not seen it previously.

I will buy a new book tonight and try this first in the downloader, before I fall back to ADE.