Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2018, 08:20 AM   #46
price
price began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
I had a Kindle PaperWhite a couple of years ago. After that, I was on Kobo. Every time a new device with a bigger screen came out, I got one, H20, Aura One... I recently got a Kindle PaperWhite 3. Partly because I finally wanted a smaller device. But I'm now back on Kobo, with the Clara HD, mostly because of the Kobo software.

The Kindle software has improved a lot since I first had one.

Things I like/miss about the Kindle :
  • You can copy any fonts and adjust the weight.
  • The smaller header/footer.
  • The mini clock on top.
  • You open a book and you have no ghost of the cover.

Things I like/prefer about the Kobo :
  • Being able to manage my collections, by tags, from Calibre.
  • Exporting ePub to KePub on the fly.
  • Comfort light.
  • Detailed reading stats.

I know there are patches that you can add some of the Kindle features I mentioned to Kobo. But I don't care enough about them to hack into my ereader. They're not always bullet proof, like the full page mode. When I saw that in the latest firmware that you can finally show/hide header or footer, that convince me to get a Clara HD. More text on a page and Kobo proof.

One thing I would like to see on Kobo, and I don't know how Amazon does it, is to open a book without any ghosting. I often have to flip a few pages in order to refresh the page before starting to read. Not a deal breaker, but really annoying.

I had a Aura One and I'm now happier with a Clara HD. Why? Size. It fits well in one hand. And weight. Way lighter than the PaperWhite, and smaller.
Me too. Just days ago, I wanted to buy a Kindle Voyage, as I cannot stand the annoying header anymore but still want to keep the footer. Since I updated the device, I found the reading experience is perfect!
price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:30 PM   #47
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I just think that the last footer pop-up should be shown in any situation, should it be in full page mode or not. Any other decision is a bad decision, because it's not my decision.

Seriously, it's hard to understand why in full page mode, I always get the page number arrows pop-up, but when the header and footer are visible, I get the last pop-up I've selected. But, I'm just one tap away from the info I want, so it's not that bad. Still, it could easily be better.
I do agree. The way the pop-up works now in full page mode (always show the page number arrows) is what I would prefer. But it is not what I would expect. And if my Kobo started behaving that way, even if I were benefitting, I would think something had gone wrong.

On Windows, whether I display the task bar or hide it, it will still behave the same way when I click on it. Why should the 'hidden' footer on the Kobo act differently?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2018, 02:20 PM   #48
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
On Windows, whether I display the task bar or hide it, it will still behave the same way when I click on it. Why should the 'hidden' footer on the Kobo act differently?
I agree.

But my main grip is the ghost of the cover when I light up my Kobo. Or when I open the top menu bar and it leaves a bit of ghosting too when in full page mode.

There should be a setting in the firmware to always refresh after sleep, after opening a book or after showing the top menu bar. At least when in full page mode. Maybe there is in the "official" 4.10.11655 firmware for the Clara HD, but it's not working well with the 4.11.11982 firmware.

I don't know too much how it goes with the header and/or footer on.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 03:50 PM   #49
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
But my main grip is the ghost of the cover when I light up my Kobo. Or when I open the top menu bar and it leaves a bit of ghosting too when in full page mode.

There should be a setting in the firmware to always refresh after sleep, after opening a book or after showing the top menu bar.
That one seems weird to me. I have full screen enabled via a patch on my Aura (I don't think 4.10 or 4.11 have been released for the Aura yet) and I don't get any ghosting when waking the device.

It's strange that hacking with a patch seems to offer a more satisfactory result than an official fix would.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:59 PM   #50
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That one seems weird to me. I have full screen enabled via a patch on my Aura (I don't think 4.10 or 4.11 have been released for the Aura yet) and I don't get any ghosting when waking the device.

It's strange that hacking with a patch seems to offer a more satisfactory result than an official fix would.
One of the problems @Claude_C has is related to a bug - no refresh after displaying the menu if the footer is hidden. That will be fixed in the next release.

There is a refresh when opening a new book. It doesn't have the black flash, but the screen goes white and then the text is drawn.

A refresh after sleep is something that has been in the firmware in the past. It isn't there on the firmware I am running, but, from memory it was done on the first page turn rather than as the device woke. I had noticed this wasn't happening, but, I haven't noticed any extra ghosting.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert