Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-13-2021, 09:05 AM   #91
m-p{3}
m-p{3} began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer129 View Post
Hi, has anyone tried this offline Wikipedia lately,if its still working or not?
I have a Kobo Glo HD (fw 4.26.16704) with a 256GB MicroSD card (UHS-3 High Endurance) and trying to access a split-ZIM (wikipedia_en_all_maxi_2021-03.zim, split into 2GB pieces) doesn't work natively. I'll have to read the topic on how to host a local webserver and make it available through the web browser without a WiFi connection.
m-p{3} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 10:19 AM   #92
CosmicRay
CosmicRay knows what time it isCosmicRay knows what time it isCosmicRay knows what time it isCosmicRay knows what time it isCosmicRay knows what time it isCosmicRay knows what time it isCosmicRay knows what time it isCosmicRay knows what time it isCosmicRay knows what time it isCosmicRay knows what time it isCosmicRay knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2
Hi folks, I have a new Kobo Libra 2 on 4.34.20097. I have tried to install two smallish ZIM files on it - the ones from https://download.kiwix.org/zim/stack...ll_2022-05.zim and https://download.kiwix.org/zim/zimit...ll_2022-06.zim -- and both are broken.

The stackexchange one, when opened, just gives me a blank screen and nothing else. There is never any content.

The Low Tech Magazine just gives me a spinner and that's it. Nothing else there either, just endless spinning in the upper left corner.

I also tried https://download.kiwix.org/zim/wikip...xi_2022-09.zim and it was the same as the ebooks.stackexchange: just a blank screen and nothing does anything.

Any ideas?
CosmicRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2022, 07:15 PM   #93
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicRay View Post
Hi folks, I have a new Kobo Libra 2 on 4.34.20097. I have tried to install two smallish ZIM files on it
Kobo broke the zim reader quite a while ago. There's also no way to search them anymore if I recall correctly.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 07:52 PM   #94
CosmicRay
CosmicRay knows what time it isCosmicRay knows what time it isCosmicRay knows what time it isCosmicRay knows what time it isCosmicRay knows what time it isCosmicRay knows what time it isCosmicRay knows what time it isCosmicRay knows what time it isCosmicRay knows what time it isCosmicRay knows what time it isCosmicRay knows what time it is

Well that's disappointing! (But thanks for the info.) It was one of the reasons I bought the Kobo. Is there any third-party reader that still supports ZIMs?
Old 10-21-2022, 05:34 AM   #95
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Or is there a way to convert a ZIM to an epub?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2022, 07:22 AM   #96
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Or is there a way to convert a ZIM to an epub?
Not quite the same, but the wikireader calibre plugin will take article and wiki book URLs or wikipedia article titles and collect them into an epub.
Old 10-21-2022, 12:34 PM   #97
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
Not quite the same, but the wikireader calibre plugin will take article and wiki book URLs or wikipedia article titles and collect them into an epub.
I do that with copy & paste multiple sites/ pages on a subject into LO Writer, fix styles, do extra Save As docx and import to Calibre. That way I can excise the nonsense, fix formatting, tables and images etc. But it needs working Internet.
My understanding is that the zim files are snapshots of wikipedia that work off line. I did use wget to archive some entire websites in the past that were about to be deleted.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 08:31 PM   #98
CosmicRay

I started looking into this. I downloaded the Kiwix ebooks.stackexchange zim and unpacked it with zimdump. I noticed that the top-level page was empty except for a meta refresh pointing to a different URL. Hmmmm.

I took a zim I had generated myself, which was not like that, and... progress! It opened, and displayed the first page OK at least.

However, none of the internal links worked. The external links seemed to work right (with it offering to open them in a browser).

Perhaps there is a way of generating a ZIM that will yet work on this.

I also looked into ZIM to epub conversion. I found one on Github that was last updated 10 years ago and it crashed miserably, so I think that's out. I also looked at tools that might possibly be able to convert a whole tree of HTML/image files to ePub, but struck out there too.
Old 10-21-2022, 08:52 PM   #99
CosmicRay

I also found this https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/9534 that is proposing a plugin go koreader that could convert a ZIM to a Sqlite database that could be read within koreader.
Old 10-22-2022, 06:47 AM   #100
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Wikipedia offline may be doable, I must see if the kobo hardware bears it.
I have a old version of wikipedia (2014) of relatively small size. With the present firmwares I can chunk it in 15-20 kobodictionaries of 500 mb each one
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 09:02 AM   #101
compurandom
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
Wikipedia offline may be doable, I must see if the kobo hardware bears it.
I have a old version of wikipedia (2014) of relatively small size. With the present firmwares I can chunk it in 15-20 kobodictionaries of 500 mb each one
I would think the zim reader on the kobo is open source?
Maybe someone could find the old code and fix it? Even when it worked, it had a lot of bugs, including not correctly handle sharded zims.

The limit on the kobo for zims was the vfat maximum file size, which I think is 2-4G or something. The full wikipedia text only zim was like 15G. Probably slightly bigger now. (I have it in a different format similar to zim on my phone now in about 4-5 pieces.)
Old 12-22-2022, 10:54 AM   #102
m-p{3}
m-p{3} began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
As far as I know, you could split the ZIM file into 2GB chunks

https://web.archive.org/web/20170809...x.org/wiki/FAQ

Quote:
USB flash drives and memory cards are often formatted using the FAT32 filesystem which can't store files bigger than 4GB. Kiwix is able to deal with 2GB splitted ZIM files. The splitted ZIM files must be named xxx.zimaa, xxx.zimab, xxx.zimac, etc.

On GNU/Linux and with the console: split --bytes=2000M my_big_file.zim my_big_file.zim
m-p{3} is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 11:45 PM   #103
noobyme
noobyme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Nia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicRay View Post
Hi folks, I have a new Kobo Libra 2 on 4.34.20097. I have tried to install two smallish ZIM files on it - the ones from https://download.kiwix.org/zim/stack...ll_2022-05.zim and https://download.kiwix.org/zim/zimit...ll_2022-06.zim -- and both are broken.

The stackexchange one, when opened, just gives me a blank screen and nothing else. There is never any content.

The Low Tech Magazine just gives me a spinner and that's it. Nothing else there either, just endless spinning in the upper left corner.

I also tried https://download.kiwix.org/zim/wikip...xi_2022-09.zim and it was the same as the ebooks.stackexchange: just a blank screen and nothing does anything.

Any ideas?
I have kobo nia. I upgraded sd card to 128gb. I loaded zim files, small ones and big. The big one didn't show up at all and the small ones don't read:just blank pages. What gives?? Firmware 4.35.20400
noobyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 07:31 AM   #104
compurandom
Guru

zim has been broken for a very long time.

Kobo removed the search box from the GUI (making it useless), and even when that worked, it couldn't handle split files.
Old 04-07-2023, 03:44 AM   #105
noobyme
noobyme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Nia
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
zim has been broken for a very long time.

Kobo removed the search box from the GUI (making it useless), and even when that worked, it couldn't handle split files.
Darn. How complex do you think adding zim support would be? If it existed in previous versions... The code already exists...
noobyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
guide, kiwix, wikipedia, wikipedia offline, zim