Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-15-2016, 09:23 AM   #1
jimdays
jimdays began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch WP63GW
Question: Can't access SD card on Kindle Fire

I have a friend who recently bought a new cheap ($60) Kindle Fire that has a port on the side to insert a micro SD card. He bought a 32 GB micro SD card and inserted in the slot. The SD card fit perfectly in the slot. However, when I connect the Kindle to a Windows computer via USB cable, I can only see ( and read/write) to the internal storage. The external SD card does not show up on the Windows computer, so I can't transfer any files to it. Also, if I use ES Explorer app on the Kindle, I can see the SD card (shows as 28 GB free space), but when I try to do a very simple operation, such as create a new folder on SD card, I get an error message that says:
Please choose the root directory SD card (/storage/sd card) of ext SD card to grant ES permission to operate
I'm not sure what to do. There is a very small screenshot that appears on the Kindle to suggest how to solve this problem, but it is so small, that I can't read it.
jimdays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:55 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I have the same problem. Only way to use it ...it seems is to Go into Settings>Storage & give permission to download Apps, Movies & Audibles to it.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2016, 06:09 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdays View Post
Also, if I use ES Explorer app on the Kindle, I can see the SD card (shows as 28 GB free space), but when I try to do a very simple operation, such as create a new folder on SD card, I get an error message that says:
Please choose the root directory SD card (/storage/sd card) of ext SD card to grant ES permission to operate
Have you done what it told you to? As Katie says, this is a permissions issue.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:47 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Harry is that the Only way to put things on the SDCard? Even with Permission Movies I Download are Not going to the SDCard. I did manage to transfer most of the apps I use to the card... one by one. Movies are Hoggin my Hard Drive. I feel the SDCard was a waste of money all 128 gig
Old 03-16-2016, 06:24 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm afraid you'll need to ask someone more familiar with the Fire phone than I.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2016, 06:48 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Fire Phones Don't have SDCards. But my Fire 10" Tablet Does.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:46 PM   #7
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
My understanding is that Amazon restricts what can and cannot be loaded on the SD card. I read it in either in an online review or on the Amazon site. This is a "known" issue/feature and you are not doing anything wrong. Amazon as locked it so the card cannot be used they way we want to store media.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:59 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

That sucks. I read that When you remove the card its wiped clean! So as far as I can see its useless! Amazon way of giving people what they requested then fixing it so it don't work. IF I known I would have saved my $70 for other things..useful things. Instead of buying a 128 gig worthless SDCard.
And I sure would NOT have got a $200+ Fire!
Old 03-18-2016, 02:53 AM   #9
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I know later versions of Android have severely restricted access to sd cards. I'm not sure if Amazon has made things worse (they well could have) or if the problem stems from Google.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #10
Dusky Rose
Connoisseur
Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dusky Rose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Ipad mini retina, Kindle Voyage and Fire
They've got some information about the storage on the Fire SD card here.

You can install apps and games, download music, videos, and audiobooks, and store photos and personal videos on an external MicroSD Card. Books, Silk browser downloads, and email can only be downloaded to and stored on the internal storage of your Fire tablet.

When they say "books" I think they mean books downloaded from Amazon. I have my whole library on the SD card, in epub format, on the SD card and they open in EZ and Aldiko.

I also think that for the things you can 'download' they mean that you can point apps to download those items to that space. (I think it's in the settings somewhere that you can point apps to us that space instead of internal storage.) But app access doesn't mean you can 'sideload' that media yourself. It's just for app use.

I'd point the video apps to that space, download something, then see if it's visible on the SD card. If it is, then maybe you can sneak other files there, but the app may never see them since they're not listed in their inventory.

But you might find it works if you pay with it that way.
Dusky Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Katie,
Hold on to that SD card. It is not useless. You can always reformat it and use it in another device later.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:42 PM   #12
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdays View Post
I have a friend who recently bought a new cheap ($60) Kindle Fire that has a port on the side to insert a micro SD card. He bought a 32 GB micro SD card and inserted in the slot. The SD card fit perfectly in the slot. However, when I connect the Kindle to a Windows computer via USB cable, I can only see ( and read/write) to the internal storage. The external SD card does not show up on the Windows computer, so I can't transfer any files to it. Also, if I use ES Explorer app on the Kindle, I can see the SD card (shows as 28 GB free space), but when I try to do a very simple operation, such as create a new folder on SD card, I get an error message that says:
I'm not sure what to do. There is a very small screenshot that appears on the Kindle to suggest how to solve this problem, but it is so small, that I can't read it.
To use ES File Explorer with the sd card, just follow directions. They may be a little confusing at first glance, but when you actually see it it makes more sense.

First screen - choose Select
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2016-03-17-23-08-45.png
Views:	3549
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	147179

Second screen choose Select "Storage Device" on bottom

Name:	Screenshot_2016-03-17-23-09-01.png
Views:	2221
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	147180

If you don't see Storage Device on the bottom, you may need to tap the three lines in the upper left corner. Then your screen will look like this and you need to choose it here first and then it should show up like the previous screen.

Name:	Screenshot_2016-03-17-23-10-46.png
Views:	1967
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	147181
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #13
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Harry is that the Only way to put things on the SDCard? Even with Permission Movies I Download are Not going to the SDCard. I did manage to transfer most of the apps I use to the card... one by one. Movies are Hoggin my Hard Drive. I feel the SDCard was a waste of money all 128 gig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
That sucks. I read that When you remove the card its wiped clean! So as far as I can see its useless! Amazon way of giving people what they requested then fixing it so it don't work. IF I known I would have saved my $70 for other things..useful things. Instead of buying a 128 gig worthless SDCard.
And I sure would NOT have got a $200+ Fire!
When you remove the card it shouldn't get wiped clean, but if you have apps that you loaded to your sd card removing it will of course cause the apps not to work. The settings will only allow Amazon apps to load movies to the sd card. I used Amazon video and it downloaded to the sd.

I think I saw in another thread that you had problems with another video app downloading to the sd. Unfortunately some apps simply don't let you save content to the sd. You first need to install the app or move the app to sd for it to work. I use Zinio for magazines and it won't let you store the magazines to the sd no matter what you do.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:32 PM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Katie,
Hold on to that SD card. It is not useless. You can always reformat it and use it in another device later.

Along with the 30+ other SDCards. Flash Drives... yea right
Old 03-18-2016, 10:35 PM   #15
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

The only Problem Videos I have are AMAZON! It seems to take DAYS to DL them