Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2015, 12:53 AM   #1
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Light stopped working

Sometime on Friday, the light in my Glo stopped working.

I was reading in bed (very) late Thursday night using the light. On Friday night when I went to bed, I opened the cover and the light didn't come on. After trying a few things, I had to give up and read with the room light on. Very barbaric!

The only unusual thing I can think of that happened in between was that when I went to read on the train Friday morning, the Glo wouldn't respond. It showed the sleep screen and I had to use the pinhole to reset it and get it going. When it did, it had about 25% battery. As I had it connected for a while the night before, I put battery drain down to whatever caused the hang was actually drawing a lot of power. While reading Friday, I didn't notice if the light was working, but it was always in a well lit room. Until I went to bed.

The only other thing that happened was that I lost my stored WiFi details. That probably happened with the hang, but I don't know for sure.

It doesn't appear to be the button. When I press it, the light icon toggles. And the brightness control can be displayed. It "works". Or at least it changes the level and stores it.

I have tried a few things over the weekend:

- Power off and on - the first thing I tried and done many times.
- Connected to the PC a few times.
- Enabled telnet and had a little wonder around the files on the rootfs. Couldn't see anything, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for.
- Reapplied firmware 3.12.0.
- Factory reset.
- Pulled the back off and checked the cables and they seemed OK. I haven't tried to access the front of the screen or where the LEDs are.

That's all I can think of to try. Anyone have any suggestions?* I probably won't get a chance to pull it apart properly until next weekend, though if someone has a good suggestion of something to look for, I might do it earlier.

At two years and one month old, it's well past warranty.

* Yes, "Buy an Aura H2O"** is the obvious one. I'm not sure if my wife will believe the Glo broke less than two weeks before the H2O finally becomes available down here.

** And don't bother with "Buy a Kindle". It's not going to happen.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:00 AM   #2
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
David I'm curious as to what the 'light' on the Glo actually is. Is it a bulb (or bulbs) of some sort? Or is it just a program instruction to somehow brighten something?

Or what?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2015, 04:41 AM   #3
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
David I'm curious as to what the 'light' on the Glo actually is. Is it a bulb (or bulbs) of some sort? Or is it just a program instruction to somehow brighten something?

Or what?
It's a number of white LEDs at the bottom of the screen, 4 or 5, I think.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:43 AM   #4
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
* Yes, "Buy an Aura H2O"** is the obvious one. I'm not sure if my wife will believe the Glo broke less than two weeks before the H2O finally becomes available down here.
I'm predicting that my Glo may suffer a natural catastrophic event about 5 minutes after I take a look at the H2O as JB Hi Fi...
Old 01-12-2015, 04:56 AM   #5
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
It has LED lights across the bottom of the screen under bottom bezel. If light are illuminated looking across top edge at low angle you can see them at bottom of screen. A diffusion layer evenly directs the light down towards opaque eink layer that displays book page.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2015, 05:15 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I'm predicting that my Glo may suffer a natural catastrophic event about 5 minutes after I take a look at the H2O as JB Hi Fi...
I was probably going to buy one, but, I might have waited a couple of weeks. This pushes it up a bit. And I'm hoping my local JB HiFi has them on display. They haven't had any demo ereaders out for a while.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:47 AM   #7
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
David there's a current thread in this sub forum that relates how the poster reported to Kobo CS that they had a faulty device and they got a replacement device for free. And I'm fairly sure that their devices were around 2 yrs of age and def out of warranty.

It wouldn't hurt to contact Cust Serv and see how you go.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:30 AM   #8
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I had a similar problem when my Glo was 2 months old, and Kobo replaced it. Doesn't hurt to try! I would think that Kobo owes you at least a free device for all your hard work.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #9
murg
No Comment

Quote:
I was probably going to buy one, but, I might have waited a couple of weeks. This pushes it up a bit. And I'm hoping my local JB HiFi has them on display. They haven't had any demo ereaders out for a while.
The one at Galeries Victoria has them out. And also the Westfield Pitt St. store, I think.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:59 PM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
The one at Galeries Victoria has them out. And also the Westfield Pitt St. store, I think.
Yes, I've been in one of them and seen them. Unfortunately, I'm no longer working in the city, but there is one fairly close to where I am working now, so I might have a look next week.

As to contacting Kobo, yes, I'll try that. I'm not that worried, it has been a very worthwhile investment. It works to have cost me about $65 per year. And I'd guess about 20 cents per hour for the actual reading. And if I add the time spent playing with it...
Old 01-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #11
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Happy Shopping *smiles winsomely*
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:24 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willa View Post
Happy Shopping *smiles winsomely*
Smiling winsomely AND suggesting I go buy myself an expensive gadget! You really are trying to get me into trouble aren't you
Old 01-14-2015, 08:14 AM   #13
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Smiling winsomely AND suggesting I go buy myself an expensive gadget! You really are trying to get me into trouble aren't you

Is it working?
Old 01-14-2015, 09:38 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I don't know. Does the fact my wife is visiting her parents say anything?
Old 01-15-2015, 08:14 AM   #15
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊

Quote:
I don't know. Does the fact my wife is visiting her parents say anything?

The question here is - is she coming back??

Now may be an excellent time to covertly make a new purchase - don't forget the bubble bath and ducks!

Tags
kobo glo, light